Chapter 1

Winning Moment

 

People say, there comes a moment in a person’s life when all of their dreams come true. One moment… where everything falls into place and it feels like nothing could go wrong. A winning moment. All you can do is stand…and soak in the feeling of being accomplished…of being complete.

Mirotic High was in full spirit mode this week. Known as the most prestigious school in all of Asia. Only the best of the best attended, whether it be the best in looks, wealth, studies, or talent. If you had these qualities…you came to Mirotic High. And just like any other high school, this school was also ruled by their kingkas aka their basketball team…the rising Gods of the east…Dong Bang Shin Ki.

DBSK was the pride of this school. The most handsome and most talented men the school was ever graced with. State champions 2 years in a row. No one could beat them…no one came close.

This was the reason the whole school was in a hyper mood this morning. Only two days left until the state championship. Winning this trophy meant winning three years in a row…which meant becoming the first school ever to make that record.

This championship also held sentimental value for the team. This will be the last year their beloved coach Lee, who has been coaching Mirotic’s team for the past 30 years, will finally retire. It was only right he left with a bang.

Angel Jung sat on the bleachers that morning. She had a free period and decided to sit in on DBSK’s basketball practice. Her brother, Jung Yunho, was shooting guard and co-captain of the team. She watched as her brother played out the drill with his fellow teammates and closest friends.

“Alright guys, let’s see if this really works in action. Shirts vs. skins. Let’s play!” a husky male voice said.

Angel’s eyes landed on the owner of the voice…and she took a short intake of breath. There stood Kim Jaejoong, point guard and captain of the team, taking off his jersey to show his muscles glistening with sweat. When it came to looks…the guy was a gift from God to women. Angel knew that…the whole school knew that. But damn…seeing him shirtless amazed her every time. He just looked so…able.

Angel felt heat rise on her cheeks for thinking that. Jaejoong and her brother were best friends for heaven’s sakes! And Jaejoong was one of her closest friends as well. She shouldn’t be thinking like that about him! But damn she couldn’t help it. She had the biggest crush on Jaejoong since she was a freshman and DBSK were sophomores. Now she was a junior and they were seniors…and her crush slowly grew into love.

But she knew she can never be with him…for he loved someone else…

*FLASHBACK*

Angel entered the cafeteria in the lookout for DBSK. She usually spent her lunch time with them. DBSK considered her their baby…their little princess. And she was closest with Jaejoong out of the 5.  

But today she was on a little mission. She decided last night that she would confess to Jaejoong today. It became too much for her to hold it all in. But when she arrived at their table she noticed Jaejoong was missing. She noticed something else was off as well…the usually loud and dorky guys were awfully quiet today.

“Did you guys see a ghost?” Angel asked no one in particular. Four ridiculously handsome men turned to stare at her. The silence stretched on until Park Yoochun decided to break it. “We might as well have…” he said softly.

Angel gave a confused look to her brother, who looked quite worried himself. “What’s going on guys? And where’s Jaejoong?” Angel asked, getting a sinking feeling in her chest. Something must be seriously wrong.  

“Tiffany’s back…” Yunho said quietly.

Angel let out a gasp, her heart dropping at the news. Tiffany was Jaejoong’s ex-girlfriend. She left him right after he proposed about two years ago, wanting to pursue her singing career instead. Jaejoong tried everything to stop her. He only wanted to be engaged to her, he wasn’t planning on marrying her until after they graduated. But she still broke it off, wanting nothing to tie her down when she did make it big in the music industry…and now she was back.

Angel jumped when she felt someone slam their hand on the table in anger, breaking her trance.

“This BITES! Why the is she back!? She probably bombed as a singer and now she’s back to get back with Jae.” an angry Changmin growled. “If the hurts Jae again I’m gonna…” Changmin continues to rant when Yunho cut him off.

“Don’t do anything Changmin…it’s Jae’s decision completely what he wants to do with her.” Yunho reasoned, going into leader mode. Changmin simply scoffed.

“Sorry bro…but I’m with Changmin on this one” Junsu spoke up. “I can’t see Jae go through that again…it was devastating the first time” Junsu continued, getting a chill remembering how cold and unattached Jaejoong became when Tiffany broke his heart.

Yoochun decided to play peacemaker, “Guy’s we’re going in circles. And as much as I dislike Tiffany, I gotta agree with Yunho on this. It’s Jae’s call. All we can do now is just be focused for the championship and be there for Jaejoong every step of the way.” Yoochun concluded.

The four of them were so engrossed in their conversation that they didn’t notice Angel leave.

After a moment, Yunho looked around frowning, “Where’s Angel?” he asked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jaejoong sat on the bleacher, staring at the empty basketball court in front of him. It’s probably the only thing that calmed him.  

When Tiffany left him 2 years ago, he became a cold person. Even his own best friends…his brothers…couldn’t reach him. He didn’t think it was possible to be so broken. He gave up everything, school, friends…even basketball.

Then one night Angel snuck into his bedroom balcony. 2:00am in the morning to be exact. She told him to stop being an emo jerk and dragged him down to his private basketball court.

He still resisted, but when he saw her epic fail at a 3 pointer…he laughed...

Angel made him laugh for the first time after Tiffany left. And he spent the rest of the night teaching her basketball. The memory brought a smile to his face now.

Angel gave him back basketball that night…and basketball gave him back his life. He knew he had to help his brothers win the championship for the third time. Coach Lee was leaving, and this will be their last game before they all graduate. He had to make it count. But now everything seemed to be confusing again…

Why was she back? She told him earlier she wanted to be with him again and that she loved him. She said she came back for him.

Jaejoong tried to give her the cold shoulder, tried to tell her he was over her. But who was he kidding? He still felt a warm feeling enter his chest when she entered the room. He knew he still had feelings for her. Should he get back with her? What if she left again? Will he be able to handle it again?

Jaejoong continued with his inner battle when a warm hand landed on his shoulder.

He looked up to see Angel, his best friend smile down at him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Hey you emo jerk…is this seat taken?” Angel asked affectionately.

Jaejoong didn’t say anything. He simply pulled her down and buried his face in her neck, looking for some comfort.

Angel’s arm automatically went around him and held him close. Her heart ached seeing him in so much pain. She would do anything to make him happy.

Jaejoong didn’t need to say anything…Angel knew everything he was feeling. She just knew…

“Jae…do you still love her?” Angel asked, not sure if she wants to know the answer.

“I don’t know Angie…” Jaejoong replied, using his nickname for her. “I thought I was over her. I moved on. But everything came rushing back when I saw her again. She still makes feel warm inside. I’m just so confused right now!…” Jaejoong said, getting frustrated.

“Jae…close your eyes.” Angel said softly.

Jaejoong gave her a ‘why’ look. When Angel patiently waited, he sighed and closed his eyes.

“Now picture a moment where all of your dreams come true. You’re standing in the middle, just soaking in everything. It was perfect…it was your winning moment…” Angel gently told him. “Who do you want standing next to you Jaejoong? Who do want to be with…sharing your winning moment?” Angel asked.

A look of concentration crossed Jaejoong’s face before slowly making way for a look of realization. Angel already knowing the answer.

Jaejoong opened his eyes and looked into Angel’s eyes, “Tiffany…” he softly whispered. He threw his arms around Angel, giving her a bone-crushing hug. “Thank you…” he whispered, before rushing out to find Tiffany.

Angel waited until a few minutes after Jaejoong left, before she let her tears flow. Heartbreaking sobs soon followed. She placed a hand on her aching chest in an attempt to ease the pain. It’s ok…as long as Jaejoong is happy…it’ll all be ok…

*FLASHBACK END*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  

“I know I’m hot but will you stop staring?” a male voice said.

Angel blinked, coming back from memory lane to realize Jaejoong was standing right in front of her…still shirtless might I add.

Jaejoong laughed when Angel threw a towel at him. He caught it and wiped his chest, sitting next her.

Angel caught the movement and forced herself to look at the team to keep herself from drooling. It was just so wrong to think about him in that way. He was her brother’s best friend, he was her close friend, AND he was now Tiffany’s boyfriend.

“The team is looking great...” Angel said, making small talk.

“Why Angel, so you finally admit you find all of us ridiculously y.” Jaejoong said arrogantly, laughing when Angel rolled her eyes.

“I meant your play doofus. I think getting back with Tiffany has your hormones rushing to you head.” Angel said playfully.

She missed the slight tension that fell on Jaejoong’s face before he quickly covered it up.

“Anyways, the bell’s about to ring. I’ll see you later Jae.” Angel said and made her way to class.

Jaejoong still sat on the bench, thinking about what Angel said about him and Tiffany. In truth, he and Tiffany weren’t official yet. He thought he loved her, but something is keeping him from fully accepting her. He forgave her already so it wasn’t that. But there was something else…something that held him back…and he wasn’t sure what it was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“OH MY GOD! What a steal! Kim Junsu quickly passes the ball to Jung Yunho and he SHOOTS! HE SCORES! Big Bang’s coach calls a time out. The score is now 98-96 with only 15 seconds on the clock. Big Bang in the lead. This truly is a game to watch.” The commentator rambled on the happenings of the game, but Angel barely paid attention. She was on the edge of her seat. The game has been close since the beginning. Both teams were just so good.

The audience cheered for their school. Some chatted waiting for the game to start, while others chanted their favorite kingka’s name. But only Angel noticed the tension between DBSK. The crease on Yunho and Jaejoong’s forehead, the very quiet Junsu, the little leg shaking of Changmin, and the lip biting of Yoochun.

The game was just too CLOSE. And this game was too important for them. Angel silently prayed as the game resumed and the players made their way to the middle of the court.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DBSK where in a circle, along with their fellow teammates, as coach Lee spoke.

“When I started coaching this team, most of you were freshmen. All such talented young boys. All devils…” a few players chuckled at that comment, “…but bright young boys none-the-less.” Coach Lee continued. “And I’ve seen you young boys turn into men. You’ve all played one hell of a game so far…so even if you lose…you lose with pride. But if you win…you all embrace it with humility. If you win this game…soak in your winning moment like the true athletes you all are. Always stay humble…Always stay hungry. It’s been a pleasure coaching you guys.” Coach Lee concluded, ending their last time-out together as a team on a sentimental note.

The team started making their way back to the middle of the court. Jaejoong looked to the side, feeling the need to glance that way, and met eyes with Angel.

She was smiling at him and mouthed good luck to him. Jaejoong smiled back. He then turned to see his coach standing patiently, staying completely calm, and then his eyes fell on his brothers. One could probably already see the wheels turning in the captain’s head.

“What are you thinking Jae?” Yoochun asked.

“I’m thinking…let’s give the people in this court the best 15 seconds of their life. Let’s do this the classic way.” Jaejoong stated, pumping fists with Yoochun and grinning devilishly. The other 4 caught on and grinned back.

“This is going to be fun.” Changmin said with a smirk. He cracked his knuckles and got into position.

They all followed suit and the game began.

Coach Lee frowned a little. ‘Wait a minute…that’s not the play we discussed…what are these devils up to?’

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

15 seconds

The ball was in Taeyang’s hand, Yoochun moved in on him. He couldn’t let him pass the ball to Top, or else he will surely score. Yoochun defended, keeping Taeyang blocked until he passed it to Seungri. Yoochun smirked…’perfect.’

13 seconds

Changmin moved in…it was now his turn. He blocked Seungri easily, and when he caught Junsu take his position from the corner of his eye, he stole the ball.

10 seconds

Changmin ran to the other side of the court, dribbling the ball. He then passed it to Junsu right when he saw Seungri get too close. Junsu dribbled forward, meeting with Dausung, he moved right. And just when Daesung thought he had Junsu blocked, Junsu swirled left with his speed and passed the ball to a waiting Yunho.

6 seconds

Yunho made a run for the basket. Top was hot on his tail and G-dragon stopped guarding Jaejoong.

5 seconds

Everyone stood up in their seats. Yunho was almost at the basket, he was going to make the winning point.

2 seconds

Yunho jumped to the basket and threw the ball to an unguarded Jaejoong, catching everyone by surprise.

1 second

Jaejoong caught the ball and shot it from the 3-point line.

BUZZZZZ! The buzzer sounded, but everyone held their breath. The ball went closer to the basket, everyone’s eyes were on it…

Angel held her breath, too scared to move. ‘Please go in, please go in, please go in…” she mentally prayed.

Jaejoong felt the released when the ball left his hands. It was only a matter of time now….

The ball swished through the net effortlessly…and Mirotic high roared to life!

DBSK ran to Jaejoong and tackled him. THEY WON!

Jaejoong let out a hearty laugh and hugged s. Everyone from the bleachers rushed down, congratulating their fellow school mates. Confetti fell from everywhere…and Coach Lee looked on with a proud smile and tears in his eyes.

Angel congratulated random people. She was so proud of the team, especially DBSK for their amazing end play. She searched for Jaejoong. She had to hug and congratulate him. She spotted him and was about to rush over when she saw Tiffany beat her to it.

The smile left her face. She decided to turn the other way. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~    

Jaejoong watched the confetti surround the stadium. Everyone was hugging a loved one. The players were slapping each other’s backs. Coach Lee kissed the trophy and held it up, making the stadium erupt in another round of applause.

It truly was a dream come true. They were State Champions for the 3rdtime…they just made history…but something was missing. More like someone was missing…

Jaejoong’s eyes searched for Angel. He had to hug her…this was the best moment of his life…and he had to share it with her. It felt wrong not to…it just felt wrong…

He frowned when he couldn’t see her anywhere. His eyes frantically searched for her, when Tiffany suddenly blocked his way.

She gave him a tight hug, congratulating him in her high pitched voice. Jaejoong hugged her back half heartedly, giving her a small smile.

What’s this feeling? He should be happy right? This was a moment where all his dreams came true…a winning moment…and Tiffany was here sharing it with him. Shouldn’t he be happy? Then why does it feel like something is wrong?

Tiffany pulled back and said something. But Jaejoong didn’t hear, his eyes were still searching for a certain someone. ‘Where was she!? He had to see her! He just had too…This was such an important moment in his life and Angel should be here with him.’

He spotted her then…She was on the other side of the court, looking up at the confetti falling, a small smile adorning her pretty face.

It hit him then. He wanted Angel to share this moment with him…not Tiffany. That’s what held him back from fully accepting Tiffany. He gave his heart to someone else…and it was none other than his best friend. Angel gave him back basketball…and stole his heart in return…

Tiffany frowned when she realized Jaejoong wasn’t paying attention to her. She followed his gaze and realization dawned on her. Tiffany pulled back and waited for Jaejoong’s attention to come back to her. Jaejoong looked at her with dazed eyes, still not believing his self-realization.  

Tiffany simply smiled. “Who do want standing next to you Jaejoong?” she asked, placing a comforting hand on Jaejoong’s arm. His gaze immediately fell on Angel again, without hesitation, and he then gave a guilty look to Tiffany.

“It’s ok…go to her.” Tiffany said, a warm smile adorning her face. When Jaejoong hesitated, Tiffany continued, “I knew I lost you the moment I came back…it’s ok. Go…you deserve someone who will always be by your side.”

Jaejoong cupped Tiffany’s face and gave her a grateful smile, “Thank you…” he softly whispered, before he sprinted to the other side of the court.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Angel held up her hands, palm up, and watched the confetti land on it. She smiled when a fellow classmate congratulated her and walked away. She had to keep smiling…Jaejoong was happy…that’s all that mattered. She will support him no matter what. He can’t see her sadness; it would only ruin his moment.

“I know I’m hot but will you stop staring?”

Angel jerked awake from her thoughts to see Jaejoong right in front of her.

“Hey! Nice shot you jerk!” Angel said in a happy tone, hugging Jaejoong.

“Well you know…” Jaejoong shrugged, as if it was the easiest thing in the world. This earned a little slap on his arm from Angel, “Stop being so conceited”, she said, which earned a chuckle from Jaejoong.

They stood silent for a moment, just looking at each other. Angel started to feel slightly awkward with Jaejoong staring at her and was the first to break it. “Well I’ll be leaving…you should get back to Tiffany. I’m sure you want to spend this precious moment with her” she said, as casually as possible.

Angel turned to leave when Jaejoong grabbed her arm and jerked her back. Her body collided with Jae’s and she became breathless when his arms circled her waist.

“It’s you…” Jaejoong murmured softly.

“What?...” Angel asked, not sure of what he meant.

“The one I want standing next to me when all my dreams come true…it’s you Angie.” Jaejoong replied, this time with more confidence.

Angel stood…stunned. She couldn’t say anything…nothing came out when she tried. This has to be a dream…

Jaejoong caressed her hair gently, taking out confetti that landed on her, and then trailed a finger down her face before finally resting on her chin.

“Sorry it took me so long to figure out…I actually had to experience my winning moment to realize who I wanted to share it with…” Jaejoong whispered softly. He then titled her face upward and captured her lips. 

That broke Angel from her daze. She circled her arms around Jaejoong’s neck and kissed him back. Jaejoong pulled her closer and deepened the kiss.

Jaejoong pulled back after a while and looked down at a smiling Angel, still a little dazed from his confession. He pecked her nose and placed his forehead on hers, holding her close.

Confetti still showered from above and everyone on that court celebrated.

People say, there comes a moment in a person’s life when all of their dreams come true. One moment… where everything falls into place and it feels like nothing could go wrong…and Jaejoong was right smack in the middle of it. He was embracing his winning moment, and with Angel by his side…he now felt complete.

THE END