chapter three.

Lingering Memories

 

Image

 

Realizing the latter's face showed no excitement at all, Wooyoung tried to wave his hand in front of Jieun's face. They hadn't seen each other for a long time. Wooyoung admit that he did missed her but why did her expression seem lke she had just seen a ghost?

His girlfriend's nudge was the one that woke both of them up from their trance. "Oppa." She, Suji, somewhat felt uncomfortable and tried to be the one who was sane enough to break the awkward situation. That was when Jieun grew curious about the girl beside Wooyoung.

Who is she? While questioning herself, Jieun looked at the girl from head to toe. She didn't mean to be rude though. As a girl, she herself admitted that the girl in front of her was really pretty.

She had an ideal body, long and slender legs, goddess-like face and smooth white skin. Perfect. Just like what Wooyoung's ideal girl would be. Suji just stared back at Jieun's petite body with a completely uninterested look and her knitted brows. Obviously disliking the idea of meeting Jieun, the girl she doesn't even know.

"Oh?..Ah, yes." is his answer as if he had just woken up from his deep thoughts. Realizing the situation, Wooyoung cleared his throat in hope of getting Jieun's attention. "Um, Jieun.. You know, she is Suji… uh, my girlfriend." Wooyoung gestured to the girl beside him. With his 'you know', Jieun immediately knew who the pretty girl in front of her was.

She is Suji, the perfect girl who Wooyoung fell madly in love with. Suji, the flawless girl who she couldn't compare to. "Silly Wooyoung. He still feels uncomfortable talking about that girl with me." She thought while playing with her fingers nervously, waiting for Wooyoung to continue the introduction.

"And, uh.. Suji, this is Jieun. She is my… old friend. Just my old friend that I haven't met for a long time."

Jieun swore that all the noise around her seemed to vanish instantly.

As if the world had gone mute. As if the world had lost its voice. As if all the people around her were moving around in slow-motion. As if there was something that held them back.

Gulping, Jieun shot her head up and looked at Wooyoung alone without minding his goddess girlfriend.

Seriously Wooyoung, what happened to you? What happened to the old us?

Back then, when both of them were still staying in the orphanage. He would often say that she was his only bestfriend, and that no one can claim her besides himself. It was childish, she knows. But she was happy to know that someone admitted her existence, moreover claiming her as his own.

Back then, before Suji came and ruined everything. He would often say that he was so glad to have Jieun beside him, and that she was a really, really important person for him. It was childish, she admitted. But she was more than happy nonetheless.

But now, he didn't even say that she was his bestfriend, his only bestfriend.

That no one can claim her besides himself.

That she was one of the important people for him.

People changes and changes hurt. She knew that more than anything. And now, all of her feelings turned into anger. "How could he?" is the only question that fill her mind now. If he hadn't brought his girlfriend, she would've killed him in that place. He didn't care anymore, so why would she?

And no, she was not going to cry. She was not going to beg for him to come back. She was not going to pray for his sake anymore. It was enough. Jieun had had enough.

"Really, oppa? She is just your friend?" Suji's annoying voice just brought Jieun back to her place.

"Not your ex-girlfriend? She seems like it..." Suji continued with a small pout in the end, hoping to hear his denies. Her whiny tone and gestures that screamed nothing but jealousy irks Jieun to no end. She never liked her anyways, even before this meeting. Jieun rolled her eyes, annoyed, when she was sure no one could see her doing so.

"Ex-girlfriend? No! She's not.." Wooyoung's fast and panicky response made Jieun upset for no reason. She knew she wasn't his girlfriend but he could have at least said a nicer word than "old friend".

"Jieun is just my old friend, we used to be umm, kinda close. Right, Jieun?"

His last sentence sounded like he was demanding an answer from her. Or was it? Okay, whatever. She lowered her head for a moment and for the first time in a long while, Jieun broke into a sincere smile.

"No more crying, no more moping. It's time to move on and live your life like you used to, Ji Eun." She said under her breath.

"Yes, we're just friends. Don't worry much, Suji-ssi." Jieun confidently answered. She successfully managed not to answer with a cracked voice.

Jieun tried to hold back her tears as she watched the happy couple in front of her. She clutched the end of her winter coat and biting her own lips. “It will be okay, Jieun. Everything will be okay eventually.” She whispered to herself as she remembered what she just said to Suji just now, “We're just friends... Yeah, although that phrase kills me every time.”

It hurts. Very.

No matter how much she had lied about her feelings..

The pain still hurt her as much as the first time she had lied..

And she had lied about her feelings for 9 years.

It hurts. Always.

All of those lingering memories are killing her.

It’s too much. The memories are too much to be forgotten.

It’s too much. The memories are too much to be pretended as if nothing happened.

After all of those years being together. After all of those old times sharing everything together. After all of this one-side feeling.

Suddenly a sound coming on her mind from nowhere, “Jieun, are you alright?”

And there’s a big 'no' printed on her mind. As if that big word just answered the question. “Will you be alright then?”

Jieun’s gaze fall upon the couple in front of her. Then she swept her eyes to Wooyoung, fixing her gaze on her long-time crush, her used-to-be everything. “Yes.. I will,” She paused, “I know I will.”

 

THE END.

 

Image

 author's notes

FINALLY, IT'S FINISHED. The ending of the story is kinda boring, isn't it? QAQ /sobs; shot/ I'm sorry, I really am. I couldn't think of any better ending, but hey at least I hope you enjoy reading this chapter. Err, by the way I can't help but notice that the comment is getting less every time I posted up a chapter. Is my writing really that bad? ;_____; I hope you can comment & tell me what do you think about this last chapter! Anywaaay, thank you for the support for all this time, many of you said that the story was too heartbreaking. orz i'm sorry, i really want to write a fluff woou story but I think my speciality is on angsty fanfic. /bricked/ LOLOLOL. Bye bye everyone, see you in my next fanfic! (which will be soon hoho :3)