One

The Best You Never Had

 

May 2010

“But appa, I want to go to college,” 21-year old Kim Yoon Ji pouted sulkily upon hearing her father’s request.

“It is only for a year, Yoon Ji-ah. And Master Kim promised that if you do this he will take care of your college tuition and other expenses,” her father said, referring to his boss.

Yoon Ji sighed. Her father had been the head butler of the wealthier Kims even before she was born. He is Master Kim’s most trusted servant and to say that he is also the most loyal and the most faithful servant of the Kim household is an understatement. Yoon Ji knew her father would do any request Master Kim would ask of him as long as it is within his capability.

He would probably jump off a bridge if Master Kim asks him to, Yoon Ji surmised, a little disgusted.

And now the wealthier Kim is asking his most trusted servant to have his daughter, Yoon Ji, that is, live in the Kim mansion and be the personal maid of his only son and heir who had recently arrived from London after finishing his studies there. Plenty of women are out there who could fill that position, so why does it have to be her? Could a request be any more ridiculous?

“Why me of all people?” she blurted out the question she recently thought of.

“Because you’re my daughter and Master Kim trusts no one more than I,” her father answered.

Figures, but…

“Why not mother? She is more experienced with household chores,” she once again asked.

Mr. Kim shrugged.

“I don’t know. Maybe the young master Kim wants a younger woman to be his personal maid.”

Aish, what does he need a personal maid for? Isn’t he a grown man? Omo, what if he became a maniac and he would make me his slave?

After all, when they were little kids and he was still in Korea he had tried to kiss her. Gross.

Her eyes widened and she crossed her arms on her chest.

All that effort of preserving myself going to waste…and to that monster?! I haven’t even had a boyfriend and I…I won’t do it even if appa would kill me.

She squeezed her eyes shut.

“Yah, what are you thinking?” her father’s voice interrupted her thoughts.  

 She blushed. There goes her imagination again.

“Appa, can’t I not do it? I understand that I have to work my off in order for me to continue to college, but I can always look for employment in a different place…and with a less degrading position too,” she said, adding the last phrase in a soft voice which she was sure her father could barely hear.

But he heard her anyway.

“Yah, do you think of being a maid as a degrading occupation? You think my work and that of your mother are something to be ashamed of?” Mr. Kim’s voice boomed throughout the small house.

“Bwo? Ani!” she vigorously shook her head.

“It’s different!” she protested.

“And how is it different?”

“It’s just different, that’s all. I don’t want to be the personal slave of someone. What if I’m all alone with him and he suddenly molests me?” she blurted out before she could even stop herself.

She covered as redness crept up her face once again.

Her father looked at her as if she had grown two heads. “Bwo? Are you kidding me?”

She slowly shook her head.

She then heard her father letting out a shout of laughter.

“Aigoo, Yoon Ji-ah…” he patted her shoulder. “You are my daughter and for me you are the loveliest daughter there is. But I have no illusions, sweetie. Kim Hyun Joong would never do such a thing to you, much more think of doing such a thing when he sees you.”

“I-illusion? Yah, appa, what are you saying?” this time it was her turn to be offended.

Her father’s laughter died down but he continued to chuckle. “Master Kim said he is pretty popular with the women while he was studying in London. He has dated supermodels. So he wouldn’t even take a glance at you, Yoon Ji-ah.”

“Eh? Jeongmal?”

She wouldn’t believe it. Pretty popular with the girls, huh? Maybe it’s because of his money and status that girls flock over him for what else would be there? It is hard to imagine Hyun Joong as handsome. In her point of view as a little girl back then, Kim Hyun Joong was hideous. He was a pale, skinny boy with crooked teeth under his glistening braces. Moreover he was obnoxious and his favorite past time would be to annoy Yoon Ji every time she comes over to the Kim’s mansion.

But then she could also remember some moments wherein she could consider Hyun Joong a friend. Despite being three years her senior, he would sometimes play with her and let her read the books he had. Only, the two of them being in good terms wouldn’t last long once he starts to .

But then it’s been twelve years and both of them are grown-ups now. Maybe it would be different from then on. Still…

She let out another sigh.

“Think about it, Yoon Ji-ah. You also wanted to take dance classes, right? Master Kim promised that he would also take care of that,” she heard her father say amidst her conflicting thoughts.

Oh well, if he puts it that way…

She looked at her father as a decision formed inside her head. It is only for a year and she would get to college and take dance classes without her parents worrying about her expenses.

And if Hyun Joong gets into my nerves I could always kick his . Just because I’ll be his servant doesn’t mean I can’t fight back.

“All right. I’m doing this for you and for Master Kim because he has been very kind to us. But if Hyun Joong picks on me just as he did before, he’s dead.”

Mr. Kim let out a breath of relief and sighed. “Thank you, my daughter.”

……………………………………………

Yoon Ji couldn’t help feeling a bit nervous as she followed her father through the huge door of the Kim’s mansion, up the grand staircase and down the huge hallway of the second floor. She had been here several times before and she is quite familiar of the house but still, this would be the first time she is here as an employee.

They stopped on one of the doors lining the hallway. Her father knocked.

“Come in,” Master Kim’s clear, authoritative voice rang out.

Mr. Kim opened the door and entered his master’s study, his young daughter following suit.

The first thing Yoon Ji noticed once she is inside is the young man leaning on the side of Master Kim’s huge mahogany table.

She couldn’t quite recognize him but the expression in his eyes seemed familiar.

Omo, could this be…

Her heart stopped beating. And then it restarted, only this time it is beating so fast and so hard she could feel it palpitate against her chest and could almost hear its drumming in her ears.

He is tall and it could be seen that beneath the royal blue V-necked shirt and khaki pants he wore, he is well-built. His eyes were beautiful; clear, though it lacks expression. His nose and lips are perfectly set on a finely-chiseled face covered with skin as smooth as alabaster. His light brown hair fell naturally on his forehead and Yoon Ji suddenly had the urge to brush it back with her fingers.

“Yoon Ji-ssi?”

Master Kim’s voice penetrated her wandering thoughts.

She wasn’t aware that her jaw had fallen slack as she stared at the handsome young man beside Master Kim until her attention was called.

“I understand how it could be a surprise to you, seeing Hyun Joong as he is now,” Master Kim said.

The elder Kims laughed, while the young man smirked.

Yoon Ji snapped shut.

Hyun Joong? This gorgeous creature is Hyun Joong? The hideous Hyun Joong with skinny arms and legs and crooked teeth? The same Hyun Joong who had always told me that I look like a pig?

She didn’t know why the elders laughed harder and Hyun Joong’s grin widened.

“In all fairness to you, you have lost weight and you don’t look like a pig anymore,” he crossed his arms on his chest and looked at her up and down as if appraising her.

She felt more self-conscious than she already was.

And then Hyun Joong’s words sank in and she realized what had happened.

 She actually said her thoughts out loud?!

She could feel her cheeks heating up as she covered . How could she be such a tactless idiot?

“Ahbeoji,” Hyun Joong, his expression turning serious turned to his father who was seated on his chair behind his desk. “It seems like Yoon Ji as my personal maid would be quite…” he turned back and raised an eyebrow at her. “…entertaining,” he finished.

Master Kim chuckled. “You wouldn’t have any dull moment around her, Hyun Joong-ah. She’s funny and cute, isn’t she?”

Hyun Joong didn’t answer.  He only bowed to his father.

“I have something to do so I better get going,” he turned to Mr. Kim and bowed, while the family’s head butler bowed back to his young master.

Yoon Ji silently watched as Hyun Joong left the room. She knew she should be infuriated with his attitude but surprisingly she is not. And she felt, for the first time after accepting the job that she is looking forward to be his personal maid and see him every day.

 

Hello readers! Thank you very much for subscribing to this fic and I hope you're not disappointed with the first chapter. This first chapter did not actually went according to what was planned and so I made a minor change on the summary-instead of Yoon Ji being infatuated for a long time with Hyun Joong, she just developed a crush on him when they met each other again. Please excuse the errors as this wasn't proofread and I'm only human : )...and pardon me because I'll be updating irregularly.

Don't forget to tell me what you thought of the story. Your comments would greatly inspire me.