Chapter 2

The Slave

The fear of being kicked out of the house was accounted for all her thinking. The little girl was afraid of that she would be back to those terrible days when she had to live under the bridge. Though the entire thing didn’t come from her, somewhat from Taemin as well, she shouldn’t have done it to him. At least, he’s still her master – the son of Mrs. Lee who had just saved her from the ugly fatty woman. He could be the reason Mrs. Lee could get mad at her, and kick her out if she knew her son was hit by a maid. Sulli felt creepy with those thoughts. So, the little girl had to think about the way to make the little boy claim down, and not tell his mom about it.

The first thing she thought she should do was turning the teddy bear to him, but it’s tear into two. Sulli searched the sewing box in the room, and started sewing the broken arm back into the teddy bear. It looked easy, but hard for 6 years-old girl like her. However, with her all efforts, she managed to do it though it didn’t look too nice. Her little fingers were stung by the tip of the needle many times.

That night, she went to the boy’s room. She hesitated for a long time before knocking his door. Taemin opened the door, and shouted right after seeing her face - Brat, what do you want? He looked at her intensively, like he wanted to eat her up. The girl was too scared to say anything, just handed the teddy bear to Taemin. He raised his eyebrow and looked at her confusingly

 - What’s it?

 - Your teddy – Sulli replied nervously as if she knew he would shout at her again right after hearing her answer

 - What do you mean by it? – he asked - I want to apologize you, so forgive me, and please don’t tell Mrs. Lee – she begged him

 - Do you think I’ll let you go with this? Never, I’ll tell my mom – the boy pointed to the teddy bear and shouted at her – I’ll ask her kick you out of my sight. – then her stuck her tongue out

 - Please, don’t. I don’t want to stay under the bridge again. It’s so terrible. – her eyes grew moist

 - DON’T THINK I’LL CHANGE MY MIND – he spelled each word loudly enough to make her eardrums hurt

 - But I tried my best to fix it; please I’ll be good listener from now on. I won’t make you angry, and always obey your word. – Sulli said

 After hearing those words from her, an idea popped up in his mind. He wanted to play around with her before kicking her out. He touched his chin as if he’s thinking something very deeply in his evil mind. He’s trying to find a way to prank on her. He stared out of window in a few minutes, and realized that it’s snowing since when. And he saw the land covering by snow, and then he smirked evilly

- Alright, I can see your sincerity. I’ll give you a chance to show your sincerity, lucky for you that I’m a generous man – Taemin smirked at the little girl

The little girl felt happy because she really thought Taemin’s gonna give her a chance. Sulli nodded her head happily, but she didn’t know that whatever she could do to prove him, she would end up with kicking out.

- I need you to find something to me. I lost my necklace while playing at garden this morning. If you can find it before tomorrow morning, I’ll let it go, and you can be my loyal servant. – Taemin said

 - Right now? In this weather? – Sulli raised her eyebrows as looking through the window and saw it’s snowing

- It’s very important to me. I can’t let mom know that I lost it – Taemin lied with his straight face as if it’s truth, and tried to act like he felt hurt when losing something important

- I will. I’m going now – Sulli said and dashed out of his room

When she was about to leave, she turned back to place the teddy bear on the couch, and saw Taemin’s giggling on something. But immediately when he saw she turning her head back, he stopped giggling and pretended to cough several times.

- Remember not to tell anyone about it. Got it? – Taemin made a “sshh” to her

The girl nodded her head again, and ran back to her room. She pretended to sleep until Mrs. Kang had been in sleep deeply, Sulli tipped top, opened and closed the door as quiet as possible. She didn’t want to wake Mrs. Kang up. Sulli gently opened the back door and went out. A chilling breeze brushed against her skin and left her goose bumps. She didn’t expect the weather was so cool like this. She’s grinding her teeth, and trembling as each cold breeze blowing over her small body. She started finding in the garden. The snow was covering on over the ground; she couldn’t see anything except snow and snow. The little girl buried her thin hands under the snow, and began searching hopelessly. The garden was too big for her to find it. But she kept on doing this stupid thing, because she didn’t want to suffer the terrible days in the past. Suddenly, she felt her hand touching something; she smiled happily, and took it out. However, her smile disappeared, because it’s just a branch. She threw it away and back to her work.

Otherwise, Sulli had to bear with cold breezes; Taemin was watching her from the window in his room. He couldn’t stop giggling and thought she’s a stupid girl who believed his word, and followed his word blindly. The 7 years-old boy felt happy with his evil plan, and felt like he’s taking revenge on her. Taemin climbed on his king-sized bed, and covered his body with a warm blanket. He glanced over the teddy which was placing on the couch nearby his bed. He took it, and hugged it before slowly falling asleep. Taemin thought though the teddy wasn’t as pretty as before, it’s still rather than sleeping without it, at least it could help him go to sleep easily. Taemin thought he’s gonna tell his mom about Sulli hitting him in the following day, and she would be kicked out for sure.

But the girl never knew she had been tricked. Even if she could find it or not, she would not be able to live this house anymore. That’s Taemin plan, and it would occur like that. Sulli was too navy to believe that Taemin would keep his promises. So she still tried to searching it over again and again over the garden. She felt so exhausted but she still kept the hope of looking for the necklace. Until her vision’s getting blur, her body couldn’t stop trembling, and looked as pale as a sheet, she collapsed on the ground unconsciously.

In the early morning, Mrs. Kang woke up as usual to begin her work in a new day. She glanced over Sulli’s bed, and saw it’s empty. She looked around the room to find the girl’s sight. But she wasn’t in the room. The old woman wondered why Sulli woke up so early. She thought Sulli must be at the kitchen, and helped the servant to prepare the morning breakfast. She walked into the kitchen, and asked some servants if they saw her or not. Everyone said no. She started getting worried, and asked everyone to look for the girl. They searched in every corner of the house except Mrs. Lee and Taemin’s room, but there was no sight of her.

Taemin awoke because of the talking of some servants. He felt annoyed by disturbing his beautiful sleep in this early morning. But he still overheard the conversation of them, while lying on the bed, and hugging his teddy bear, and was about continue his sleep.

- Where could she be now? I’d searched in every room in the house already. There was no sight of her – a servant said

- It’s very cold outside, Sulli can’t go outside in this weather – one said

Taemin opened his eye again as hearing they mentioned Sulli’s name.

- Is she still at the garden? No no no … it couldn’t be, who could stay out in this terrible weather – he shook his head while thinking – but they said she wasn’t in the house

Taemin jumped out of his bed, and walked towards the big window. He glanced over and saw someone lying on the ground. He rubbed his eyes several times to make his vision clearer. It’s Sulli who was lying fixedly like dead body on the ground and her whole body was covering by the snow. Taemin started panicked with the thought he’d killed someone by his prank. The boy pushed the door hard to open it. That made everyone startled, and he rushed out of the house while wearing his pajamas. The servant didn’t know what’s happening, but still tried to follow the little boy. The servants and Taemin ran to the garden, and everyone seemed so shock when seeing Sulli lying on the ground. Mrs. Kang hurried to carry her back to the house. Her body was so cold as ice, and her lips turned dark purple. The old woman tapped her face many times but she didn’t move an inch. Taemin touched her face and felt creepy because it’s too cold.

- Is … is she … she dead? – Taemin said with his guilty