Final

Tao, the Panda?

            Once upon a time, on the white fluffy clouds, in a place called Bearyland, lived a tribe bears. They were happy, living simple lives just as their ancestors had before them. Within the tribe were two young bears named Tao and Chen. They were the best of friends. But Tao had a secret that not even Chen knew about….

            Tao felt different. He never quite knew why but for as long as he could remember he’d always felt this. Like he didn’t truly fit in with the other bears, not with Chen, not even his own family. He didn’t like what the other bears liked; he didn’t enjoy the activities that the other bears enjoyed fun; he even talked and acted differently than the other bears. For that Tao was often teased and taunted by other bears his age. He didn’t mind it too much though, he was thankful he still had a good friend like Chen who accepted him, regardless.

            As he grew older, though, the feeling of not belonging bothered Tao more and more. He’d tried so hard to fit in. Tried to like things the other bears liked. Even tried to act like they did, but it just didn’t feel right.  

 

            One day, as he was sitting at his secret little thinking place beneath a bamboo tree, deep in the woods, where no one could find him a bear appeared in front of him. Surprise and a bit startled, Tao was about to ask how the bear had found him when he realized that he didn’t recognize the older bear. An odd thing considering everyone in the tribe knew each other. As Tao was about to open his mouth again to ask who the bear was when he was interrupted –

            “Hello, Tao,” said the older, mysterious, bear.

            “Wh-who are you, sir?” Asked Tao,

            “I am Kris,”

            Tao was so shocked, he was momentarily muted. He’d only heard about Kris in myths his parents and teachers told him as a child. Kris was said to be the original bear, the one who created Bearyland in all its glory.

            Seeing how Tao was at a loss for words, Kris chuckled and spoke again, “young one, please do not fear me for I am here to help you. I have been feeling unhappiness from you and I cannot stand to see it anymore. You should not be ashamed of feeling different for it is those differences that make you who you are.”

            “But how can I be proud of who I am when I don’t even feel comfortable in my own fur?” Asked Tao, and as if his words were a magic spell, black spots began appearing on his fur. 

            “Then this shall be your new fur.” Spoke Kris

            “But I still feel so lonely.” Said Tao, admiring his new fur, as a bear who looked just like him appeared next to him.

            “And now you have a companion. Be happy, young ones, I give you all my blessings.” Kris said as he walked away, leaving Tao and the new female bear, Jinah, with surprised expressions on their faces.

            Years later, Tao and Jinah eventually got married and had kids of their own. Kris called their species the pandas. They lived with the other bears in Bearyland happily ever after.