Cliche Time!

Just Buy a New One

 

Just Buy a New One

 

"Everyone, I'd like to introduce your new classmate. His name is Tao," The teacher motioned to a boy who somehow reminded me of a panda. The boy looked around nervously.
     "H-Hello, my name is Tao. It’s nice to meet you. Please take care of me."
I sighed. He seemed like another loser who got in on a scholarship or something like that.
     "How lame," I muttered to myself.
     "What was that Kris?" The teacher demanded.
     "Oh nothing, teacher." I said innocently.
     "Good. Tao, please go sit next to Kris and Eli."
Eli was my best friend. Partner in crime, if you will. Non-existent crime, I mean. Unless being this good-looking is a crime, but I doubt it. Anyways, I digress!

After school finally ended, I went to find Eli at his locker. As I was coming around a corner, I was suddenly hit by a force equal to that of an elephant. The person tripped and fell backwards with me landing on top of him.
     "Ah! You weigh more than a buffalo!"
What? A buffalo? This kid is crazy. I looked down at Tao and he gasped when he recognized me.
     "Oh, Kris I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to run into you! I'm so sorry!"
I stood up, letting the flustered panda-like boy off the ground. He stood up and brushed off his shirt. He looked at me hesitantly and chewed his lip as though he wasn't sure how to react. This kid better know his place.
I raised an eyebrow, "You may leave. Watch where you're going from now on."
He sighed in relief, "Thank you! I'll be careful, I promise!"
Being so popular is difficult. I glanced towards Eli's locker. He wasn't there yet and I had to get going. Oh well, we can hang out later.

While walking home by myself, the panda boy appeared again. He wouldn't be following me would he? What if he's one of my stalker fans already?! I needed to set things straight here.
     "Tao," I began, "I know I'm rich, popular and good-looking and all but-"
     "Don't you think the clouds are pretty today?"
     "Excuse me?"
     "How about the sky in general then. It's pretty right?"
I gaped at him. There are more important things than the sky! The panda boy smiled and skipped away happily in his second-hand school uniform. I clicked my tongue. He could have at least bought a new uniform for his first year at our esteemed school. I shook my head. There is no use in worrying about some crazy kid talking nonsense.

It's been an entire month. When will he leave me alone?! Tao had managed to become a fixed aspect of my school life. Even worse was that my mom liked him and his family. How could she enjoy the company of those below us? My dad wouldn’t have let this slide if he hadn’t left us. The world's been turned upside down. I had noticed myself doing some odd things as well. Don’t laugh at me, but one time, a child had convinced me to pay for some ice cream for her without giving me anything in return. Only small things like that of course. I am too cool to let myself be sappy.

“Kris! Kris! Kris!” There was an incessant tugging on my sleeve.
“What do you want Tao, my ears are bleeding from your whining.”
“I… I just wanted a cookie.”
I sighed, “Then go buy one.
His expression immediately turned gloomy.
“Not all of us are as rich and stuck-up as you are.”

I must admit it. This dumb panda look-alike had broken off a piece of my cold exterior. And that had hurt. However, I had no idea how I was supposed to say sorry. Usually, it’s everyone else apologizing to me.

      “Now Tao, I’m- I mean I- I’ll buy you a cookie, okay?“
      “I don’t want it.”
      “Please! Here’s some cash; buy a whole box.”
      “No thanks.”
      “Tao,” -I would have to try a different tactic- “You wouldn’t want me to be sad would you?” Oh my, I’m the coolest person I know and I’m crumbling to a poor kid. This is a bad sign.
      “It doesn’t matter. People like you can just buy happiness right?
      I scoffed, “Of course I can, anyone could,” and walked away.
Silly boy, resenting me because I’m rich is a waste of time.

It’s been another two weeks. Tao is still ignoring me. This really . Eli makes fun of me at every possible moment. Maybe it’s odd for me to be a little put-out, but not that odd. I mean, just because I’m incredibly popular doesn’t mean I don’t have emotions. Just, no one ever knew that. But now they do! So I hope Tao is proud of himself! Within a few days, my status of amazing has dropped. I don’t understand! Is this his doing!? I don’t know anymore! It’s so confusing. Nothing I could ever buy for him would make him feel better and I just do not know what to do.

      “Kris.”
      “No.”
      “Kris.”
      “Eli, stop poking me or I’ll seriously injure you.”
      “Then tell me why Mr. Ice Prince is suddenly upset over the new kid.”
      “I’m not upset,” I grumbled.
      “Stop being so stuck-up and go talk to him or something."

I sighed. I knew he was right, but I just couldn't admit it out loud. I made some excuses and left the library where we had been studying. I might just make it to the front of the school in time. I made it just after the final bell had gone. Where had he gone? I checked his homeroom and the hallways, but he was no where to be found. I dashed to the back of the school where he had hung out occaissonally. He wasn't there either. I walked back to the front of the school feeling completely dejected. Then, out of the corner of my eye was a familiar mop of black hair. Was he there the whole time?

"Tao!" I called.

He didn't even bother to look up. Geez, and to think this all started when I wouldn't give him a cookie. He has quite the temper. I went to sit next to him and took his hand.

"The clouds are pretty today, aren't they?"

He looked up appearing slightly baffled.

"How about the sky in general then. It's pretty, right?"

A smile found it's way on to his face, "You finally got it, didn't you? Took you long enough, silly rich kid."

 


 

Author's Note♥

Aigooo~~ I don't like this at all. >< I always get mad when writers say that but honestly, leaving out the bromance .
I definitely think I should re-write this with fluff because it's so wonderfully nonsensically cliche! YAY!

I'm not sure about the ending. I wanted to just leave it at when he asks about the clouds but instead, have some Tao attitude. :D And y Kris. I just love Kris being y sometimes~

Did I develop my theme well enough? xD

(Totally un-beta'd, uneditted, un-anythinged.)