Citrus Scent

Citrus Scent

 

It was a hot day. The sun shined with intensive brightness and heat, frying the ground with its rays. Eventually it became cooler as the summer wind blew, rustling the leaves of the orange trees that are lined up in vertical rows throughout the fields. The sound of the wind, the leaves, and the scent of oranges filled the air with natural, pure tranquility.

That was, until a young boy emerged from behind one of the orange trees with a dart gun in hand.

“I know you’re here somewhere!” He called out into the trees.

No response. Was he expecting one anyway? Cautiously, he stepped out from behind the tree and tip toed down the dirt path. He was between many rows of orange trees, and the sun was beating down on him from underneath his farm hat. He pointed the gun to the air in front of him, one eye closed, ready to shoot. A drop of sweat trickled down his eyebrow to his jaw.

From behind him, a twig snapped, causing the boy to quickly spin around. The sound of a gun blew. The boy found himself shocked, as he slowly reached up to touch the damaged that has been done. He’s been shot.

“Gotcha,” said the older boy, who emerged from his hiding place a couple of trees behind the youngster.

The young boy yanked the plastic dart from his head and threw it on the ground with a stomp of his foot. “That’s not fair!” he whined.

The older chuckled and shook his head. He bended down and picked up the dart on the ground. “Give me your hand,” he said.

“No!” The younger boy crossed his arms with a pout.

“Give me—“

“No!”

“Woohyun,” the older boy sternly said out the young boy’s name. Reluctantly, Woohyun held out his hand. The older boy smiled, and placed the dart into the former’s hand. He curled Woohyun’s little fingers over the dart with a tight squeeze. He looked into Woohyun’s curious eyes, and with a deep breath, he said, “I won fair and square. It’s not nice that you whined about it being unfair, because you lost. You said those words because you were angry, right? It’s not manly to whine about it. To be a man, you’ll have to accept it whether you lose or win. Besides, you’re still young, Woohyun. One day you’ll beat me, just not today.”

Woohyun nodded understandingly, “I will be a man. I’m not going to whine anymore!”

 The older boy smiled and patted Woohyun’s head, “That’s a man. Let’s go back and help grandma.”

“Aww! I don’t like cleaning!” Woohyun whined, again.

“I thought you said you weren’t going to whine.”

“Men don’t clean houses and cook,” Woohyun stated.

The older boy laughed, “You have no idea, buddy.”

Woohyun looked curiously at the older boy as they walked back to the little house at the edge of the field. Woohyun entwined his fingers with the older boy’s as they walked. “Sunggyu hyung,” he called out.

“Yes?” Sunggyu looked down with a smile.

“One day I’ll be just like you!” Woohyun proudly claimed.

Sunggyu nodded with a small smile that didn’t reach his eyes. He looked forward, as if finding the answer to the meaning of life. The brightness of the sun dimed, and the wind stopped blowing. The two boys walked under the shade of the orange trees on the warm dirt path. Their hands were dirty, but they didn’t care. Their jeans ripped, hair a mess, and dirt smeared here and there all over their bodies. But they didn’t care. It was the lifestyle of rowdy boys.

Faintly, very quietly, Sunggyu whispered to nothing, “You don’t want to be like me.”

---

“Lies, lies, lie!” Woohyun whispered angrily at the paper he was holding. The edges were crumbled and ripped due to his hard grip, his nails digging into the thin paper.

Woohyun recently received a letter from his grandfather back at the orange farm. Woohyun always visited them during summer, and he was only one week away from visiting. However, the letter arrived first, burning a mark on the Nam family’s hearts. Woohyun’s grandmother had been sick, and everyone was aware of that. They didn’t expect her death to come by so quick though.

Woohyun had guessed it would happen this year or the next. Though, he didn’t want to admit it, he kept it to himself. He wasn’t mad about his grandmother’s death or his grandfather’s loneliness. Of course he felt bad and miserable for the old couple. He was mad about the other problem written in the letter by his grandfather’s neat handwriting.

“Sunggyu’s missing. Three days ago he went to school, and never returned after that. I visited the school, and they said they have no idea where he was either, he’s been missing from school. Some of the kids came up to me and told me it was because of girl. I couldn’t believe it though; Sunggyu’s not that kind of a person…” Woohyun slowly stopped reading the letter out loud for the fifth time.

He was trying to figure out why. Why would Sunggyu leave their grandfather at a time like this because of a girl? It was unreasonable and selfish. It…it wasn’t Sunggyu.

Woohyun’s lips curved up into an unbelievable smile. He realized that all this time, since his first meeting with Sunggyu, he never really known the boy or what was his connection with the family. All he knew was that he and Sunggyu shared the same grandparents, but he never saw Sunggyu’s parents – Woohyun’s aunt and uncle.

It wasn’t long when Woohyun barged out of his hiding place in his room to the living where his parents were whispering to each other. His loud footsteps snapped them out of their private conversation to focus on him.

“Who–What is Sunggyu to our family?” Woohyun asked. Without knowing, tears rolled out of his eyes rapidly one by one. Each drop more salty than the first.

“Woohyun, what’s wrong?” His mother asked, shocked that her son is suddenly crying.

“Answer the question,” He snapped, and then he looked at his mother’s sad expression. He softened and added, “Please.”

“Sunggyu,” his father began. “He’s part of our family, and your cousin, is he not?”

Woohyun shook his head, “There’s more to that.”

His mother let out a sigh and placed her hands on her husband’s thigh. “Sunggyu…he’s not our real family, but we treat him like one and he treats us like one. He loves grandpa and grandma very much, because they took him in and gave him a family.”

“You’re saying grandma and grandpa adopted him?” Woohyun asked.

“Not adopted, but found.” She corrected.

Woohyun wiped the tears from his eyes and cheeks. “Then why-“

“I think you should go to sleep, Woohyun. You have school tomorrow.” His mother cut in, she stood up and put her hand on Woohyun’s back.

He’d grown taller than her, but he still needed her motherly comfort. He was thirteen that year, and Sunggyu was fifteen. He couldn’t make out Sunggyu’s face by the time he was twenty.

---

“Hyung said that, to be a man, you have to accept it whether you lose or win. He lost, and he didn’t accept it. He wasn’t man enough yet. Today’s the day I beat him. He lost once again.”

---

It didn’t take a genius to figure out what happened to Sunggyu. He dated a girl, and she cheated on him. Sunggyu was known to have a weak heart. He couldn’t take it anymore and just disappeared. Woohyun didn’t understand why. By the time he was seventeen, he gradually understood how much pain Sunggyu felt. That was because he got dumped for another guy too, but he accepted it.

---

The sun shined through the big windows of the library. Woohyun was sitting in his usual seat by the window, reading a book on agriculture. Ever since his grandfather sold the orange farm seven years ago – the same year of Sunggyu’s disappearance and their grandmother’s death – Woohyun never visited the farm again. It was someone else’s property now, not his family. He remembered his mother telling him that the new family had lots of kids. Woohyun was jealous. He was jealous that the new kids would get to play in the fields and play tag around the orange trees. He was jealous that he wasn’t there to enjoy it as well, with Sunggyu of course. However, that was his childlike thoughts, which were buried deep somewhere in Woohyun’s mind now.

His grandfather lived with him and his parents in their little house in the city. His grandfather said he didn’t mind that he wasn’t out in the fresh air anymore, as long as he has them, he’s happy. Woohyun agreed, and he agreed that the same idea could apply to Sunggyu.

Woohyun never really had that much friends. Since he was little the other boys didn’t really play with him. They said it was because he liked cheating and whining. Woohyun knew better though. If he can’t play with the other kids, he’ll wait till summer to see Sunggyu; the only person who understood him.

Gently, Woohyun turned the page of the book and read each word carefully, processing them in his brain. He was doing a research on farming, so he’ll have a better understanding of it. If he gained a better understanding, then the facts in the story that he’s currently writing would be accurate.

As he read the book, a smell crawled up his nose, leaving a lingering scent. That caught his attention. He looked up from his book, and sniffed the air. It smelled like fresh oranges and orange blossoms that would fill the crisp and clean air back at the farm. Woohyun’s favorite scent.

Deep memories flooded his mind. Scenes of family dinners, oranges, Sunggyu, his grandmother and grandfather, the sunrise that kisses the tip of the orange trees, the orange blossoms blooming, and the scent that is so vivid.

Woohyun had smelled the scent of oranges in the city before, but they’re nothing compared to this. This smelled like home.

Woohyun quickly stood up and tried to follow the scent. He left his book bag, laptop, and book back at the table. He wasn’t concerned about that right now. His mind was too busy trying to follow the scent. Through rows and rows of books, the scent lingered, and then dissipates. Woohyun followed the trail and ended up at his table. The scent passed through here, or was it still lingering here? Woohyun slightly shook his head, he was crazy for sure.

---

Two weeks later, Woohyun was back at the library at the same table he sat in. He took out his laptop and continued writing about his experience. He turned all of his past experiences into a story that would comfort him, and fascinate others in a new way. He didn’t plan on publishing it, but share it with his colleagues in his university courses. If the outcome is good, maybe, just maybe, he’ll consider the thought of publishing it.

After typing for so long, Woohyun decided to have a little break. He walked around the library and tried to find any books that might interest him, and maybe give him some ideas or inspiration.

While checking out the history section, an unforgettable scent filled the air. Woohyun sniffed it, and he felt the urge to stay still and breathe it in. Citrus.  

He snapped out of his trance, and paced back to his table. To his surprise, a girl he has never seen before was sitting in his seat, reading his laptop. He wasn’t the only one surprise, as the girl’s mouth gapped open a little as she stared at him.

“Who are you?” He asked, a little curious as to why she’s sitting there, invading his privacy.

“I’m sorry,” her voice was sweet, yet a little sour. “I couldn’t help it. Last time I remember you were here, and I was reading this story while you wandered off somewhere. I was walking around here and I recognized your laptop, and the story was open on here. I decided to take a peek to see how far you went with this piece,” she smiled as she explained. She used a lot of hand gestures as she spoke.

“Is that all?” Woohyun raised a brow.

“No,” she smiled playfully. “I wanted to tell you that this piece of writing is very unique. I’d never read something as original as this. The writing style connects me in with every word and—“

“You think so?” Woohyun cut in, a little happy. He always liked getting compliments, and the ones from strangers added extra joy.

“I do,” the girl smiled, her pearly white teeth flashing. That’s when Woohyun realized that she’s pretty in a different way. Her hair was a natural, glossy black and long. Her eyes were like oranges, round and weird. She was a blossom in Woohyun’s eyes.  He immediately sat on the chair across from her, causing her eyes to widen a bit.

“Tell me what you think,” he said. He was curious of course; he needed opinions, and apparently now was the best time. Besides, he kind of wanted to stare at the blossom.

“Well,” the blossom said with an awkward, shy smile. “My opinion is that it’s different, very original, as I’ve mentioned before. I felt connected to this story in a way. The way you write is very emotional, and you add a lot of detail. That’s something most universities students tend to forget, their too focus on making it perfect and right, while yours explore everything. I can see that you took your time.” she smiled when Woohyun chuckled.

The blossom was a very good speaker, he observed.

She continued, “To be honest, I’m connected to this story in a way. My family owns an orange farm out in the countryside, and I grew up there. I left so I could study here in the city. My family is still living there. It’s kind of funny, the way you described the farm, the fields, the trees, and the way the sunrise—“

“Kisses the tips of the orange trees every morning,” They said in unison.

The blossom’s eyes widened, “How did you...”

“By any chance, did your parents buy the land seven years ago?” Woohyun asked. His eyes were alert and big.

“As a matter of fact yes, but how did you…” she trailed off, and her face seemed like realization hit her. “The orange farm in your story, it’s the same!”

Suddenly, the scent of citrus and memories of the farm flooded Woohyun’s mind. He secretly sniffed the air and stared at the girl. She smelled liked citrus. The smell he yearned for. She is the citrus, the path to his home.

“By any chance, does a boy name Sunggyu live there?” Woohyun’s voice cracked a little.

“Sunggyu? I’ve never heard of him. Is he the character named Dongmin from the story?”

Smart girl, Woohyun thought.

“I suppose you could say that…”

Silence filled the two.

“What’s your name?” the blossom asked.

“Woohyun, Nam Woohyun. Yours?”

“Lee Jiwon. Nice to meet you, Woohyun,” she smiled.

“You smell like oranges and orange blossoms,” Woohyun bluntly said.

“Do you like it?” She smiled.

Woohyun smirked. He was beginning to like this girl. It wasn’t because she was pretty. She smelled like home, she’s clever, and she’s brave. He has a connection with her, because of his past. She was the daughter of the family that he was jealous of because they owned the farm. He wanted to play with them back then, and show them the fun parts of the orange farm. But he couldn’t. Now, he could. He could talk to someone without feeling awkward, because they had the same past experience. They lived in the same environment before. There was a connection.

Now he was glad he followed the scent of citrus, or else he wouldn’t have met this blossom.

To answer her question, he said, “I love it.”