Final

The winter I met you

 

“Why do you hate winter?” A boy asked him one day while the white specks of winter fell on the cold cement outside

Taemin just looked up at him and gave him one simple answer

“Just because”

He could honestly say, that was the question that changed his life in a long shot

Taemin absolutely hated winter, he never had a reason, maybe because it was always so cold, or-or maybe because he always had to spend his days inside, because his mother would never allow him to go play with the other boys. He never had a particular reason to hate winter that is, until December 21, 2010.

The school bell rang once again, signaling that it was time to go home, all the students got up, hollering, screaming and cheering, happy that they could finally go home and play in the snow. That they could leave this hell-hole they called school and cuddle up in some warm blankets, drink hot coco and fall asleep to the fireplace crackle. Not Taemin, he never did anything like that, it just brought back to many horrible memories he would rather prefer to keep under lock and key. He never threw his imaginary key away; it was always there, always sitting right next to the lock in his mind, waiting to be opened.

Taemin got up, brushing his dyed brown bangs from his face and tightened the scarf around his neck. He got up, rather slowly, and tucked his chair back under his desk, something his classmates failed to do.

“Taemin” His teacher called out, his voice echoing through the small room

He walked closer to the boy and when he was a few feet away from him, he came to a halt; only their shallow breathing was heard. “Yes sir?” Taemin politely asked

“Taemin,” His teacher said once more, he sighed and spoke “You’re failing my class, you were doing such a great job until last month, are you having family problems?”

Taemin grabbed the hem of his shirt and swallowed, he refused to cry in front of his home room teacher, he wasn’t going to because he knew it would only cause suspicion. “N-No sir,”

“If there’s anything I can do to help-“

Taemin cut him short, his tone bitter, “I’m sorry but I must go home, mother will worry” And with that, he grabbed his navy blue backpack and walked out of that room faster than he could ever say he did. His footsteps became even louder with every step he took. He absolutely hated when people mentioned his family, mostly because, well, he didn’t have any. His father was a dead-beat who disowned him the second he found out his sons ual preference. He was a drunken bastard to begin with, so he could care less even if he still had a father.

His mother and brother Taesun? Well, he didn’t really talk about them much, it just hurt too much. As his small feet lead him outside, he quickly pulled his grey hoodie above his head, sighing as the white flakes hit him. He walked faster, his feet sinking farther and farther as the snow began to collect on the ground.

Before he knew it, his breath was caught in his throat, he looked at where he was, he admired the quietness, and the peaceful quietness there was around of him. There weren’t any kids laughing, there wasn't any lecturing, there was absolutely nothing, and that’s the way he wanted it. Slowly, he walked through those iron gates, and stepped closer to what he was being gravitated towards.

“Taesun,” He choked up “Umma” He knelt down and traced his delicate fingers on the tombstone in front of him

Songmin and Taesun Lee

1976, 1991- December 21 2010

May you rest in peace

The snow was piling up faster than Taemin was expecting, he dusted off the tombstone, and just knelt there with his dead mother and brother.

“I hate winter” He mumbled “I hate it, I hate it, I hate it” He began to talk even louder and flash backed to the last night he had with his family

It was a cold night that December 21, Taemin could clearly remember it. His father was fixing the Christmas tree, and he was sitting on the couch, watching re-runs of SpongeBob square pants, while laughing with his brother about the most random subjects.

“Umma~~~” Taemin clearly remembered how he whined, he was such a baby

“Yes Taebaby?” His mother hummed from the kitchen while backing her famous chocolate chip cookies.

“Are you getting the star today?” Taemin remembered how he saw a golden star in a store while doing some Christmas shopping, and he asked his mother if they could get it, her only response was ‘tomorrow’

“We can all go tomorrow” She had a small smile and placed the cookies on a plate, the fragrance filled the room

“But you said you would get it today!” He honestly wished he never said anything, he wished he had shut his mouth and waited for when the sun would come up the next morning to get it

“Sweetie~” His mother cooed “We can just get it tomorrow”

“But the tree won’t be completed if we don’t get it!”

“Just listen to him Umma, and then he’ll shut up!” Taesun, Taemin’s older brother irritably said while drinking his coco

His mother sighed in defeat and grabbed the car keys while putting her apron away, folding it and discarding it into some random cabinet. “Taesun come with me”

“Why do I have to go?!” Taesun asked

“Sweetie, please?”

Taesun just gave a nod before grabbing his coat and waving his goodbye to his brother and dad.

“I love you!” Taemin said with a smile as he watched his mom and brother pull out of the driveway and disappear

I love you

I love you

I Love you

Later that night, Taemin learned that his mother and brother had been hit by a drunk driver while coming back from the store. Their car had flipped over and they were killed on impact. Everything was destroyed in the car, that is, except that star Taemin had asked for. It was tucked away safely inside one of the glove compartments, after that, his picture perfect family was no more.

Taemin was never the same after that, he couldn’t function, he became mute for a year, secluding himself from everyone and everything. His father blaming him, saying it was his fault was only helping him as much as it was destroying him, because he knew that it was, and he couldn’t do a damn thing to change the fact that he sent his mom and brother to their death bed. He had only recently begun to talk, but that still didn’t matter to him.

 

“I hate winter” He finally said as he snapped out of his daydream, he brushed his bangs from his eyes before he heard a voice

“Why is that?” he turned around only to be faced with a tall figure hovering over him, he had short black hair, and a sculpted face to match. He had nice lips, and tan skin, his eyes were abnormally large for a Korean and wondered if maybe he wasn’t from here. He tried really hard to resist the urge to call him a frog, he was a stranger after all, and that would be rude.

Taemin stayed silent, he didn’t know what to say, I mean what was he supposed to say? ‘Because that was when I sent my brother and mom to their death sentence and that’s what been eating at me for two years’? No, he didn’t think so

“Why do you hate winter?” The stranger asked once more, his face was calm, but he really was curious onto why the teenager didn’t like that season that much.

Taemin just looked up at him and gave him a simple answer “Just because”

“Well there has to be a reason” The man said with confidence “I don’t like summer” He openly admitted

Taemin raised a brow, he wasn’t the most social person in the world, yet he wasn’t sure what it was about this person that drew him in, but never less, he still continued.

“Why is that?” He asked cautiously

“Well…” He began “It’s really hot for starters”

“So?” Taemin asked, he was still crouched by the tombstone

“Plus there isn’t much to do” The older man shrugged, “So why don’t you like winter? It’s really beautiful”

“That’s none of your business” Taemin stood up and brushed the imaginary dust from his school uniform and began to walk home, not that he really wanted to anyway. It was lonesome, cold, and well-not fun at all.

As Taemin reached the gate, he heard the male shout “My names Minho by the way! I’ll be here tomorrow around the same time!....It was nice to meet you!” Taemin ignored the shout this so-called ‘Minho’ gave him and walked straight home. He arrived to small apartment complex, where he walked a flight of stairs and reached the third floor. He searched his pocked and pulled out a silver key, using it to unlock his house.

As he opened the door, a small apartment was revealed. There was one bathroom, one bedroom and a small kitchen and living room. It wasn’t much, but it was enough for Taemin. He stepped into his living room, plopping himself onto the couch, it was slightly sinking due to his weight, but that was ok.

“Min...Ho” Taemin said quietly, as if he was scared that the man he just met a while ago would hear him. “Minho” He said a little louder with a smile on his face “It’s nice to meet you too”

The whole night, Taemin couldn’t get Minho out of his head, they only talked for a minute or two, but he liked it. No one was ever that nice to him, and he felt like his heart would explode, even if that sounded silly. He cooked some ramen, his specialty, and watched paranormal activity, screaming a few times, nearly dropping his food. When it ended he remembered that he had left his backpack at the cemetery, since he was too focused on leaving. He decided he would go tomorrow and get his backpack; there wasn’t any harm in that right? It was his backpack after all, so he needed to get it back.

“I’m just going to get my backpack” He mumbled softly while slipping into bed “Just my backpack, and then I’ll leave” Little did he know that the real reason why he wanted to go back was deep in his heart.

___________________

Taemin practically ran to the cemetery, no, saying he ran was an understatement, he sprinted the whole way there. He didn’t even stop when his lungs begged him too, which was something he would pay for later; but right now he just wanted to be where he needed to be.

I’m just getting my backpack  he thought Just my backpack When he reached the cemetery, he began to wheeze, his lungs pricking him as if they had nothing better to do. Then again, he knew this was coming to him, so he wasn’t going to complain.

When he regained his breath, he pulled his scarf closer to him and walked the short distance to the oh-so familiar grave. Taemin simply looked around and just where he had left it yesterday, his backpack was sitting right there, untouched, left unnoticed. He heart dropped a little, he didn’t know why, but it just did. He picked up the blue backpack, and stayed there for a moment.

Didn’t he say he would be here today?

Why isn’t he here?

Did he lie?

I knew this was too good to be-

“We meet again” Taemin quickly turned around; he tried his best to keep his poker face on.

“Hello” Taemin quietly said while he put his backpack on

“You forgot your backpack here yesterday” Minho said with a smile

“I know” Taemin was quick to respond

There was a short silence between the two; Taemin didn’t know what to say, but he tried his best to keep the conversation up

“D-do you work here M-inho?”

Minho just chuckled and walked closer, stuffing his hands in his pockets “No, but my mom’s buried here, so I seem to visit often”

“I’m sorry” Taemin said, and he really meant it, he knew what it felt to lose a loved one, he knew the pain and the suffering one went through. “My mom and brother are buried here too” He didn’t know why he was being so open, but it felt nice to talk about it.

“I saw you a lot in the past year, but I guess this is the first time we actually meet” Minho grinned and then asked “So how old are you?”

“19” Taemin responded “What about you Minho?”

Minho held up both his hands and made a 2 with his right hand and a 4 with his left “Twenty-four” He said aloud “I’m really old”

“So you’re an ahjussi?” Taemin asked with curiosity

“Yah!” Minho playfully shouted “I’m not that old” He earned a giggle from the younger boy, and then asked “So you know my name, it’s only fair I know yours”

Taemin stayed quiet for a bit before letting the cold air take form of the words he said aloud “Taemin” He smiled “Lee Taemin”

“Well Lee Taemin” Minho stuck his hand out and smiled, Taemin slowly took his hand and shook it “It’s nice to meet you”

________________________

It had been exactly four months since Taemin and Minho had met, everyday, for the past four months, they had been meeting at the cemetery constantly, talking about random things. Taemin learned that Minho was working to become a soccer coach; he learned that Minho had a passion with sports. Minho learned that Taemin lived by himself every since his mom and brother passed away, and he felt sorry for the boy. They shared much about themselves, they learned many things, and day by day, they grew closer and closer. Taemin learned that Minho was an only child, and that his dad meant the world to him, and Minho learned that Taemin had never fallen in love.

Minho soon became Taemin’s tutor, after Taemin told him he was flunking, Minho made himself a promise that he would help Taemin raise his grades. And to both of their surprises, in a matter of weeks, there was improvement.

“I like you Taemin-ah” Minho admitted one day while talking to the boy.

Taemin just looked at him and paused for a few seconds before smiling and uttering “I like you to Minho-Hyung”

Minho felt warmth in his heart, but he didn’t think Taemin understood him because Minho didn’t mean like just a friend, but as something more. He grew to care for the boy, but he feared that if he admitted anything, he would scare him and he would never talk to him again.

“You know what we should do?” Minho said while standing up from the patch of grass they sat on

“What?” Taemin asked curiously

“We always spend our days here; let’s go somewhere else for a change”

“Like where?”

“Just come on!” Minho lifted Taemin off the ground and soon he was running with Minho, no care in the world, all of them left behind as they ran, where to? They weren't sure yet.

 

“A coffee shop?” Taemin asked, out of breath “Really Hyung?”

“Yeah, the coffee is good” As they caught their breath, they entered the store, receiving weird looks as they made much noise.

They boys sat down at a table near the window and began to talk, while they waited for their coffee and pastries.

“This is like a date” Minho told Taemin, causing him to turn beat red. Taemin just slapped him hyung’s arm from across the small table

“Shut up Hyung” Taemin just hid his face, waiting for it to cool down, and soon he found that his heart was beating just a little too fast.

As the coffee and pastries arrived, they ate in heavenly silence, that is, until Minho drank his coffee and was left with some whip cream on his lips, causing Taemin to laugh.

“What?” Minho asked with a smile, “Why are you laughing”

Taemin just continued to laugh, uttering a small ‘hold on’ while searching though his bag. Finding his phone, he opened it and took a picture of his confused Hyung.

“Yah!” Minho tried grabbing his phone, but to no avail did it work

“You’re funny Hyung”

“Thank you”

As the day ended and Taemin decided he should walk home, he waved Minho goodbye and walked in an opposite direction. He opened his phone and stared at the picture he had taken, and put a hand on his chest. His heard thumped, but he was finally ok with that.

“Umma, Taesun” He muttered while looking up at the stars in the sky “I think I finally found my first love” Then the wind began to blow his hair in multiple directions because he knew that his loved ones had heard him.

_________________________

It had been officially a full year since Taemin and Minho met that snowy day in the cemetery, and their bond was stronger than ever. It was December 31, both Taemin and Minho were at the elder’s house. Taemin loved that house, it was cozy, warm, and he always felt welcome. They were both wrapped under a thick blanket, sitting on the floor, watching the night before Christmas, Korean subtitles fully on, and they both ate cookies, waiting for the New Year to come.

Soon they both heard the commotion outside and could faintly hear people outside, beer bottles clashing, cheers, and then they heard the countdown

10

Taemin rested his head onto Minho’s shoulder and smiled “I’m glad I met you Hyung”

9

Minho turned to look at the Maknae; he bravely bent down and placed a kiss on his head

8

“What was that for Hyung?” Taemin asked with a slight blush on his cheeks

7

It was now or never

6

“Taemin” Minho mumbled while being at eye-level with Taemin

5

“What is it?” Taemin asked quietly, he knew what his Hyung was going to say, or at least he hoped he did

4

“I love you Taemin-ah”

3

Taemin’s heart stopped, but then he broke out in a smile and jumped into his Hyung’s arms

2

“I love you too” Taemin murmured against Minho’s neck “I always have”

1

Minho pulled Taemin away from his neck, and did what he had always wanted to do, what he always wished he could do, he leaned in and brushed his lips against Taemin’s

“Happy new years!”

 People outside shouted with glee, people outside were cheering and laughing, hoping the New Year would bring wealth, new beginnings and love.

Taemin felt like he was on cloud nine, Minho’s lips were as soft as he imagined and he just couldn’t get enough

“I love you” Taemin repeated in between kissed “I love you so much”

“I love you too” Taemin felt some tears escape his eyes, he was just so happy, and absolutely nothing could change that. Taemin was soon lifted up by Minho’s strong hands, and placed on his bed. Taemin knew what was coming, and he couldn’t be more excited.

That night, Taemin and Minho didn’t just have , they both knew that this was more than just a fling, and this wasn’t just a onetime thing. No, that night, that New Year’s night, they made love. They made beautiful, passionate, love and they didn’t just intertwine their bodies, but their souls as well. They both called out each other’s names, they shared kisses and everything was more than perfect for both of them.

Many kisses, s, and ‘I love You’s’ later, they both laid on Minho bed, both of them, a sweaty, panting mess. Minho pulled the covers over both of them and kissed Taemin’s forehead before he pulled him close.

“Minho” Taemin uttered, his eyes wanting to close so bad so he could sleep.

“Yes Minnie?” Taemin liked the sound of that, he liked that nickname

“I change my mind” Taemin pulled Minho closer to their bare bodies and smiled

“About what baby?” Minho was confused

“I think I like winter again”

“And why is that?”

Taemin intertwined their fingers and held their hands up for a few seconds “Because that’s when I met you”

Minho felt like his heart was going to explode with happiness; he smiled and hugged Taemin even tighter, if that was possible “I think it’s my favorite season too” But when he looked back at Taemin, he was already fast asleep in his arms. Minho kissed his lips for a mere second and drifted into deep sleep, with his most precious person next to him.