Baby Steps We Took Together

Baby Steps

"Stop holding those sticks and walk like a man, will you?!" Few boys pushed Sungmin to the corner and mocked him. "Stand up! Don't be a baby!"

 

No matter how Sungmin struggles to walk, his weak legs can't support his weight. The poor boy is one of the Polio patients.

He thought: if his mother didn't let him use the wheelchair until middle school and let him learn to walk since young, he'll definitely make it.

 

"Yah, Lee Sungmin! IREONA (stand up)!!" the boys laughed at Sungmin because of his weak, small legs. Although the long pants hid them underneath, it can't hide the fact that Sungmin was one of the unlucky people to have Polio in this world. He prayed silently, hoping his besties would come as soon as possible to help him.

 

"YAH! What are you doing, huh???" One of his friends, Kangin showed up with a lollipop in his mouth, along with two other boys, Eunhyuk and Kyuhyun. The bullies who saw Kangin grew afraid and ran away with fright. Why? Because Kangin was once the Ssireum champion who defeated the all-time winner!

 

"Hyung, gwaenchana (are you OK)?" Kyuhyun picked up the crutches and asked his lover.

Since one year ago, Kyuhyun knew Sungmin and fell for his beautiful, foxy eyes from the first sight and decided to live on with him even though he is a disabled boy.. After a month, Sungmin accepted his confession and coupled with him.

"Gwaenchana-ya..." Sungmin forced a smile infront of his sweethearted Kyuhyun who help him at all times. Kyuhyun wanted to move forward and kiss him but the disgusted Eunhyuk interrupted them. "So... where are we having lunch, eh?"

"I know a nice barbecque restaurant that we can go! It's not to far, but not many students with this attire can enter at this time..." Kangin suggested.

"Ooh... that means we gotta change before going in... Kaja! meet you guys back in an hour!" Eunhyuk said and skateboarded away from their vision.

"Gonna change here. I brought my clothes. So you're bringing Sungmin home, right Kyuhyun?" Kangin slinged his bag on his left shoulder and asked the Maknae in the conversation.

"Ne. See you later, hyung!" Kyuhyun waved his hand to Kangin and turned to Sungmin while pulling him up. "Hyung, kaja."

 

X X X X X X X X X X

 

Sungmin's house

 

"Can I borrow these first, hyung?" Kyuhyun picked a black tee and a pair of blue slacks while asking his sitting hyung.

"Just return them to me before Friday~" Sungmin smiled at Kyuhyun and answered with the cutest voice he can make. That melted Kyuhyun's soft heart that can never bear his lover's cuteness.

"Arasseo~ I'll go change now. Wait here!"

 

As soon as Kyuhyun turned his back and went to the toilet to change, Sungmin made the worst decision in his life--giving up his legs.

 

X X X X X X X X X X

 

5 minutes later

 

"Hyung, ka--" Kyuhyun was skipping to Sungmin's room and the bright smile on his face faded away instantly when he saw his hyung tossing the crutches to the floor. Sungmin looked at his and was startled.

"Kyu... Kyuhyun-ah..."

"Why are you giving up?" Kyuhyun scolded Sungmin for throwing his crutches on the floor.

"I... I..."

"Polio isn't death, hyung. Believe in yourself. " Kyuhyun held on Sungmin's hands and put them on his chest. "And me."

"Kyuhyun-ah... I want to walk..." Sungmin bursted into tears and lean on Kyuhyun. He leaned on his shoulder and cried. 

"Gwaenchana-ya, hyung..." Kyuhyun hugged his hyung tightly and allow his tears to roll down his cheeks. "We'll take the baby steps together, one by one, until you can do it yourself. I'll be there for you forever..."

 

X X X X X X X X X X

 

In the Summer holidays

 

"Cheoncheoni (slowly), hyung..."

Kyuhyun held on to Sungmin's hands while helping him to learn how to walk without crutches. Before he knew it, Sungmin slipped. "Kyaa!"

"Hyung, gwaenchana?" Kyuhyun was fast enough to hold on to Sungmin before he falls.

"Gwaenchana-yah! Let's continue!" Sungmin, whose bright side has returned, got up again and smiled at his dongsaeng.

 

 

X X X X X X X X X X

 

Little by little, Sungmin learned how to walk, run, and even started dancing with Eunhyuk. Because he is a fast learner, complicated moves aren't a problem. Even Eunhyuk was shocked by Sungmin's amazing learning speed although he has leg problems.

Recently, he joined an international dance group competition with Eunhyuk and another hoobae, Taemin and entered the finals. They flew to America for it and won the grand prize.

X X X X X X X X X X

 

In the hotel room

 

"Sungmin sunbae, aren't you coing to call that Kyuhyun sunbae?" Taemin asked Sungmin while entering the room with bags of snacks bought at the 7-Eleven store in the lobby.

"Taemin's right, Hyung. You should give Kyuhyun a call. Tell him you've won!!" Eunhyuk agreed and Sungmin immediately took out his handphone to call the Cho Kyuhyun he missed for a month.

 

After a long time of beeping, an anonymous man picked up the phone. "Yeoboseyo?"

"Annyeonghaseyo... May I speak to Kyuhyun, please?"

"He's... not available at the moment... may I know who's on the line?"

"I'm Sungmin, his friend on the other side of the planet... Lee Sungmin, if you want to know my name."

"Lee Sungmin? You mean the boy that Kyuhyun loves?"

"H-how did you know?" Sungmin was shocked that the stranger on the phone know about him.

"Kyuhyun sshi wanted to say, whenever you have a problem, go forward and overcome it."

"W-what? Why is that boy saying this all of a sudden..." Sungmin was puzzled by Kyuhyun's words, then came shocking news from the man.

"Kyuhyun was involved in an accident on a highway last night. his car fell of the track. He..."

"......" Sungmin stayed silent while waiting for the man to finish his sentence, although Sungmin knew what happened to Kyuhyun. Tears filled his eyes and are ready to drop.

"Died this morning."

 

 

 

X X X X X X X X X X

 

Kyuhyun's funeral

 

"Kyuhyun-ah..."

Sungmin kneeled at Kyuhyun's coffin while crying, sending his message to Kyuhyun before he leaves. (*According to Chinese traditional funeral, because I don't know the Korean funeral...)

 

"You helped me so much... Since the first minute we became friends you taught me how to walk, run, how to stand up again when I fall... Brightened my despair future when I wanted to give up... Told me you will stay with me forever even though I'm disabled... Encouraged me to dance... How could you just leave me like that? Who will accept me next time?"

Eunhyuk, Kangin and Taemin who was standing beside him was touched by their relationship and a few drops of tears rolled down from their eyes.

"I never had a chance to say so, but..."

Sungmin weeped silently before he says the words from the bottom of his heart.

 

"I love you. Thank you for teaching me everything... I will never forget the baby steps we took together. Never."


I know it's not how you all expected right? Haha. LOL

 

Wanted to make it happy, but the song led me to a far away place and I forgot how am i supposed to end it happily.

Oh well,

THANKS FOR BEING PATIENT FOR THESE WEEKS AND I ALWAYS HOPE YOU LOVE THIS STORY!!!!!!!!!!!