chapter four

Forgotten Flame

 


For the rest of the holiday, Tiffany was intensely aware of seunghyun. She caught sight of herself reflected in a mirror one night when they were eating out. Seunghyun was on the other side of the room and as usual surrounded by a bevy of girls. tiffany and Siwon were at a table by themselves. To her annoyance, tiffany saw in the mirror that her whole body was pointed in the Seunhyun direction like a wild animal quivering at his scent on the breeze.

Seunhyun was always affable when they met. His smoky green eyes would light up and his hand would reach out to delicately tickle the back of her neck. It was a reminder of their brief time together that never failed to make Tiffany blush. And she hated even more the fact that her blush was accompanied by a really wide self-conscious smile.

Siwon didn’t seem to have any inkling of what had taken place between Tiffany and seunghyun. Although he did seem particularly keen that Tiffany should accompany him on his future tours around the island.

seunghyun remained happy to spread his charms around the rest of the girls for the rest of the holiday, which was what seunghyun did best.

“Just save the last dance for me, before you go home,” was his only reference to their fleeting relationship as they passed each other on the slopes of the tree-lined hill that led up to the villa.

The last night of their holiday was designed to be the party of all parties. The group by now was closely bonded with many relationships formed, and separated and some even formed again. The culture dictated that the evening start with a barbecue and then continue with the now obligatory Retsina drinking contest.

The night was warm and the moonlight was bright. Somebody had found a candle shop in the local town and had spent an hour and a half lighting the swimming pool area with their flickering light. There was also the strong sweet smell of a more alternative intoxicant than Retsina to blend with the cypress trees and olive groves. A portable tape player pounded out rock and roll alternately with dream music. There was dancing on the patio, besides the pool and in it.

Few bothered to dress up.Siwon was wearing shorts and open toed sandals, as were most of the other men. Tiffany had chosen to wear a simple one piece straight dress with a diamond pattern of reds and greens and a hem that ended far enough away from her knees that she had a chance of staying cool. She also thought that there might be some skinny dipping later and wearing a dress meant she’d have an excuse not to participate.

Siwon seemed preoccupied for much of the night. He’d a big interview for a new job on returning to London and his mind was already beginning to go over the details. He’d been very attentive to  Tiffany recently, which was kind of nice, but it was a relationship without highs and lows. Tiffany  suspected that if he was successful at his interview and won a higher salary, he would probably ask her to marry him. She wasn’t sure but she thought that her answer would probably be ‘yes’.

At around about 2.00 in the morning, siwon had fallen asleep with his head on tiffany shoulder. He was beginning to feel heavy, so Tiffany eased herself away from him and decided to go for one last look at the bay in the moonlight. The trees stood out like sentinels as she padded through the night towards the viewpoint.

Under the stars, the sea looked like a shifting animal, heaving and swelling in the darkness. Apart from the moon and the stars, the only lights were from the masts of the small sailing ships moored in the shelter of the cove.

It wasn’t long before Tiffany felt a tickle at the back of her neck, as she’d known she would. This time she turned to face Seunghyun. Their lips met in a searing kiss and their arms entwined and held each other close. In seconds, Tiffany could feel her body melting and the white heat of her desire for him encompassing every particle of her being. He too was ready for her and with her back to a cypress tree, time once again lost its meaning and nature all around seem to hold its breath as her mind dissolved in a sea of sighs.

Then he was gone and Tiffany returned to the party, snuggled contentedly down besides the gently snoring Siwon and slept her last night at the villa besides the pool.