Scream

Thunder Voice

 

Please do not plagiarize, copy, nor claim this story yours.

Thanks.

 


 

OneShot

 

 

 

 “Sunhi… Sunhi…”

 “Ngh…” Sunhi changed her sleeping position.

 “Sunhi.”

 “Mmm.” She shifted her position, yet agan.

 “Sunhi… I need you.”

 “Tch.” Sunhi yanked her blanket and hid her irritated head under it.

“SUNHI.”

 “Yah!” With a shocked face, she sat on her bed rabidly as soon as she heard the loud boom of the thunder. She panted heavily on her spot, her lips forming a big ‘O’ and her eyes were rounded. All her life, she was scared with the thunder. Why? Reason number one – It was too loud, and it would shock the hell out of her. And secondly – It was making weird noises, piercing into her very soul every time it would strike. It wasn’t for her, well, it started when she entered high school. Specifically, it started when she once helped a bullied schoolmate. After that day, it rained, and there she heard noises whispering in her ear. It was always her name.

 At first, she didn’t believe it one bit. But then when the next few storms came, it would always call her. Every time the thunder will strike, it would murmur her name, sending her shivers throughout her whole body. She found it creepy and weird. No matter how many times she would shake it off, it would still be there. That experience was nearly leading her to traumatize thunder. But she tried to be positive.

 It was night time, and it seemed that the rain wouldn’t stop much sooner. Sunhi bit her shaking lip, covered her ears and eased her breathing. *Please stop. Please stop…* Sunhi tightly shut her eyes and went back to bed. She covered her whole body and chanted in a low-lying voice, “Please stop…”

 

 

 “It was really weird that it rained yesterday.” Cho Haejung, a fellow classmate of Sunhi, said. “The weather was so nice yesterday.” “I… I know.” Sunhi faced down, “What’s wrong?” Haejung faced her and tilted her head in confusion. “Can I… Ask you a question?” Sunhi asked Haejung and she nodded, “Sure. Anything.” “Well,” Sunhi cleared , “Did you hear any… Uhm, any whispering last night?”

 “Eh? Whispering?”

 “Yeah. Well, like… Every time when thunder will strike unto land, it will somewhat whisper things?”

 “No, why is that?”

 “B-Because I…” Sunhi rubbed her arms, “…Can her mumbling of some sort.”

 “Okay, now you’re just being weird.” Haejung’s lips twitched to the side while she shook her head. “I’m not!” Sunhi disagreed, “Aish! Stop denying it. Maybe it’s just your imagination, now come on!” Haejung tucked her arm around Sunhi’s and started walking, dragging Sunhi from her feet. For a split-second, they stopped. “Ah! What is that…?” Haejung, who curiously eyed the lot of boys in front of her sight, asked. “What?” Sunhi got out of her grip and tried to get a peek of what was happening. All those boys in front of them were bullying one person, and that person was pinned against the tree by their supposed ‘leader’.

 “You think you’re all high and mighty, huh?!” He smirked and clutched the poor bullied guy’s neck even tighter, causing him to choke. “Yeah! Pin him even harder!” The other guys behind him cheered for their leader’s ‘victory’. The guy gripped unto his arm, struggling his way out of it. “Seems bad, let’s go.” Haejung started walking away out of the scene, but Sunhi didn’t follow her, instead, she approached the lot. Haejung noticed this, “What?! Are you crazy!?” Haejung wasn’t able to stop Sunhi, so all she did was slap her forehead with an annoyed face, “Urgh… This girl’s getting us into more trouble.”

 “Hey!” Sunhi yanked the leader’s arm and shoved him away. “The hell?!” His eyes rounded at her, shooting her glares that pierced holes into her. His was like a raging buffalo; steam coming out from his red ears and nose , his eyes were fiery red and he wore a frown. “Five against one isn’t fair.” Sunhi did her best glare she could ever manage. “Of course it is, kitty. Now get out of here, stray!” He pushed her and she fell to the ground, “Oof!”

  “This girl just couldn’t mind her own business…” Haejung shook her head with her hands on her waist and later neared Sunhi. “You okay?”

 “Yeah… I’m fine.” Sunhi dusted her bum.

 “Listen, all of you.” Haejung pointed a finger at everyone, “If all of you will not get out of this spot at my count of three, I would tell the teacher, worse, I would tear all your ‘fragile’ bones apart so you can never hurt anyone again.” She threatened.

 “One.”

 *She’s not serious, isn’t she?* Everyone thought. The boys gulped.

 “Two.”

 “Thr – “

 “Tch.” The leader glared at them once more, “I’ll be back.” He shifted his gaze at the guy who he bullied just a few minutes ago. He seemed to be rooted on his spot, “…But not for long.” He smirked then left with his gang. “Woah…” Sunhi wore an impressed face, “Can’t believe that you could do that. How did you do that?” She kept on nagging Haejung. “Don’t ask.” She shot her an unimpressed look.

 The two returned their attention to the guy who was now picking up his notes and papers which fell on the ground. Sunhi ran towards him and helped him pick them up. “Are you okay?” She asked the guy, “Your name’s Chen, right?” “No… I’m not okay. And yes, my name is Chen.” He silently nodded as a reply. “Ngh…” Sunhi murmured. Her forehead creased as she massaged it. *I kept on hearing those weird things again…* “Chen from Class B?” Haejung crouched near. “Yes.” Once again, he nodded. The three stood up, “Hey. Why are you so quiet? Are you that shy?” Sunhi smiled gently at him. He remained silent. “Psst.” Haejung hissed and tapped Sunhi’s shoulder, “It’s probably good not to talk to him.” She whispered in her ears. “Eh? Why is that?” She whispered back.

 “Just come on!” Haejung shook Sunhi’s body all over.

 “Okay, okay. Hey Chen!” She called his attention. Chen lifted his head.

 “Talk to me whenever you want, okay?” Sunhi smiled and ran away.

 *I… Always talk to you, you know?*

 

 

 “Hey Haejung~ Why did you tell me that it’s better not to talk to Chen?”

 “Haven’t you heard?”

 “Heard what?”

 Haejung shook her head, “You know, you’re really outdated.” She snorted. “Yah! Shut up~!” Sunhi lightly slapped Haejung’s arm, “Anyways, just tell me the reason.” “Well, he’s mute. Poor guy.” Haejung pitied Chen, “…Ah.” Sunhi scratched the back of her neck. “But then,” Haejung cleared , “They said that he can speak.” “How is that?” Sunhi blinked a couple of times at her. “Well, I don’t know if it’s true, but… Whenever someone talks to him, they said that they can hear some voices in their heads. Like, he had telepathy of some sort. Some say that when he talks to a person, the thunder will sometimes strike, then there he will hear his response, even though the weather is really fair.” Haejung nodded.

 “…What?” Sunhi paused walking and gawked at Haejung, “What? It’s only rumors… You know?” Haejung shrugged a cold shoulder again. *…So it’s not only me. I-I have to find him and ask him about all this. He might be a great help!* Sunhi thought that the idea she formulated in her mind was brilliant. Well it is, but, they’re just rumors, right? What would happen is she talked about it to the guy and it wasn’t real at all? It would be really shameful.

 “Come on Sunhi! We still have choir practice!”

 “Ah, yes! Coming!” Sunhi ran with Haejung to the practice room.

 *I’ll talk about it to him some other time…*

 

 

 “I can’t believe it rained again.” Haejung stomped her both foot and pouted, “It’s not yet the rainy season!” Lucky for them, the two found shelter before it actually rained. But the problem is… “I didn’t bring an umbrella.” Haejung fished in her bag for an umbrella. “Me too.” Sunhi rustled in her bag, too. The two sighed in sync and stood there still to wait for the rain to stop. “…I heard it.” Sunhi spouted out of nowhere. “What?” Haejung asked. “…Well, uh. The thunder?” Sunhi scratched her head. She didn’t know how to explain it. What if she tell it to Haejung? *She probably wouldn’t believe it. She’ll probably say “They’re just rumors.” of some sort…* Sunhi had the courage to tell her what was going on in her head, but then, she couldn’t explain it in a way that she would believe it and prove that it’s not just a rumor.

 “Pssh… You’re one heck of a comedian.” Haejung snickered.

 See?

 After a while, the rain stopped. The two best friends went on different paths towards their way home. Sunhi twisted open her way into her house, switched open the lights, closed the door and dropped her things near the now closed door. She went over the kitchen and made hot chocolate. Later, she went over the sofa, and read magazines as she looked out the window only to see the pouring rain.

 *Will the thunder strike again…?*

 

 

 “What are you planning now, Chen?” Kris observed the mute boy’s actions with his cheek on his palm, wearing a poker face. Chen remained quiet. For a while, Kris heard the thunder strike along the noisy gushing of the wind and rain. “Help me.” “Help you with what?” Kris kept his face on, “…You know.

 “You want it louder this time?”

“Well, yeah…”

 “Fine then, I’ll help you.” Kris stood up from his seat and neared the window. He shoved away the white, cream-colored curtain and stared at the outside, “But it’s raining hard, you sure you want to do this?”

 “I… have a question.” Chen shifted his attention at the leader who was gazing intently at the window, “Can Lay-gege treat this? …It’s becoming a big burdem.” Chen sighed, “I never wanted this. I never did. I want to talk again… I want to sing again. I want to scream my heart out. I want a normal conversation!” Chen was able to speak since birth, but after a while, he lost it. He didn’t know how and why… But it seemed weird for him to lose it. Did the ‘Supreme’ stole it from him? But he’s sure that the ‘Supreme’ would only retrieve his powers if he maltreated it, not his own voice. A flash of loud thunder came. Kris got shocked with this, “Sadly, no. Lay can’t heal your disease; unless, he had a highly-advanced level of power. You do know that we are still trainees, right?” Kris looked at Chen. Chen frowned, “But… Is there any other way I could talk to her directly? Normally?”

 A sigh came out of Kris’ lips, “There is. And you’re doing it now. Let thunder do all the work. I’m sure she’ll understand as soon as she realized that you have this kind of powers. Go Angel did, with me. She accepted who I am. Even though I’m not ‘normal’, still, she accepted my real identity.” A smile twitched from Kris’ lips. “So, do you want to continue this?” Kris looked at Chen who was all heads down. “Fine.”

 “Come, let’s go.” Kris opened the window which lead to a balcony, he grabbed Chen’s waist whilst Chen gripped on Kris’ now damped white t-shirt tightly. The two dashed towards a certain building under the rain. “We’re here.” Kris landed with Chen at the top of the tallest skyscraper of South Korea. “Ah. This is Go Angel’s condominium, right? So this is where you do all that stalking?” Chen snickered. “Shut up and do your work.” Kris opened an umbrella and sheltered himself and Chen under it.

 “Here goes…”

 Chen spread his arms and gaped his mouth. A flash of loud thunder behind his figure.

 On the top of that skyscraper, there, he shouted with no voice.

 

 

 BOOM.

 “Kya!” Sunhi jumped from her seat as she heard the loud, booming sound of the thunder. She felt chills ran down her spine. *Okay, okay… Calm down.* Sunhi was all alone at the house. The only light that was open was the outside light at the porch, the living room and the kitchen. Meaning? It was even creepier now. Sunhi calmed her panting and she sat on her chair again. Another round of thunder came. “Sunhi.” *There it is again!* Before Sunhi could even cover her ears, she heard another whisper, but this time, it was louder than the one when she was sleeping. “Don’t be scared.”

 “W-Why will I…!? W-Who are you?” She responded to the voice and kept on shivering on her spot.

 “…I can’t answer you that.”

 “…O-Okay. But, why are you talking to me?”

 “I heard you singing a while ago at the choir practice…”

 *Ah! So it’s a schoolmate of mine? Is it probably… Chen?*

 “…Your voice. It was mesmerizing. I like it.”

 Sunhi’s eyes rounded, “…Ah, thanks.” Sunhi felt a smile across her lips. “Don’t be scared, ne? I won’t harm you.” It mumbled again. “Okay…” Sunhi replied. She didn’t bother covering her ears anymore. She just went with the flow. It felt relieving for her to have a chat with someone for a little while. “I sing once.” It blurted out. “Eh? You do?!” Sunhi seemed to be interested and kept on talking to that mysterious voice. “Could you, uhm… Sing for me?”

 “…Sure.”

 Sunhi closed her eyes as she listened.

 

“Dang wo cheng zuo zhe feng. Zai ni de shi jie xiang luo.

Bai se de feng… Zai ni shen bian huan rao zhe.

Ni wen wo lai zi na li, xiao zhe hui da shi mi mi.

Zhi yao shi ni he wo yi qi zou xia qu...

Tian tang zai sui shi he sui di…”

 

"As I ride the wind, I descend upon your world.

The white wind... Surrounding only you.

You asked where I came from, I say "It's a secret with a smile.

As long as you're with me...

Heaven is anytime, anywhere."

 

…After that, the rain and thunder stopped.

 “Ah…” Sunhi opened her eyes slowly. *So he speaks Chinese…*

 “…I can always hear it. The thunder’s scream… I’m yearning to hear.”

 

 

 “Chen. It’s time.” Kris patted his shoulder which lumped as he took a long, deep breath. “Yes.”  Chen sighed and opened his eyes to calm him down. He took the steps up the stairs which led to the rooftop of the school. There, someone was waiting… Chen took one last look at Kris; behind him were the other members – Tao, Lay, Luhan and Xiumin. “Hwaiting!” They all whispered and chuckled. Chen smiled and nodded, “Thanks.”

 Chen continued walking up until he finally reached the door. He twisted open he doorknob. After he opened it fully, he closed it lightly and made his way towards the person who was waiting slowly but surely, like a ninja. As soon as he felt that their distance was close enough, Chen stopped tip toeing and faced Sunhi’s back. Sunhi was staring at the whole city of Seoul, elbows resting on the railings. Thanks to Kris’ help, he made it possible for the two to meet up.

 Sunhi let out a sigh and twisted her whole body around. She was shocked to see the figure which was standing in front of her, waiting for him to be noticed. “Ah! C-Chen!” Sunhi held her chest and eased her breathing, “…You scared me.” Chen remained quiet. After a long while, another thunder was heard. Chen took Sunhi’s both hands and squeezed them, “Chen?! W-What’s wrong?” Sunhi blinked at his action. Chen went nearer Sunhi’s face until their noses were a few inches away. He let his forehead touch hers. Sunhi’s eyes rounded in shock. Chen closed his eyes, because of this, Sunhi did, too.

 Thunder flashed behind them which send chills under Sunhi’s spine. She shivered for a while, which Chen noticed. “It’s okay.”

 Sunhi opened her eyes and looked at Chen who was mainly focusing on only one thing – The thunder.

 “So you’re doing all this…?”

 “Yes. You told me I can talk to you, right?”

 “Yep.” Sunhi smiled.

 “I would like to tell you something.”

 “What is it?”

 “…Do you, accept me? I mean… all this? Do you find it weird?”

 “At first, yes. But now that I found out that it’s you and not a weird stalker,” Sunhi giggled, “It’s fine with me.” They continued talking using their minds and the thunder.

 “I’m sorry if I kept it a secret.” Chen chuckled and kept the contact going. “Anyways… This will be my last message to you.” Chen tightened his grip. “Eh? You’re going?” Sunhi frowned, “No. I mean, the rain will stop soon.”

 “Go on.”

 “Choi Sun Hi… Ever since you helped me that day… I felt this weird feeling in my chest. It let me have the courage to talk again. I… wanted to be able to speak again. My self-esteem built up, thanks to you. Now… I would like to tell you something.”

 Sunhi gulped.

 “I… Like you.” Chen let go of her hands, bowed 90 degrees and left Sunhi on the rooftop with a surprised face.

 *I think… I don’t hate thunder at all.*