The Will

I Feel You Fading

Step two after a death is the will. In the will, the deceased writes a statement over who gets their property as well as leaving final messages to their friends and family. I guess, you could say that the will is like the part of the movie where the credits start to roll and the picture fades. It's the closer.

"Okay, I will now read the will of Ms. Ahn EunMi." The executor read aloud. "It's not that much actually."

I sat in the lawyer's office by myself, so I don't even know why he's reading it so formally. I just want to get this over with. Being here as it is, it's not the most comfortable.

"Okay..." He sighed. "I, Ahn EunMi, leave all my possessions to my sister Ahn Jooyeon. All of my occupations and/or decisions are now her responsiblity. First and foremost, I have left a box of important belongings for Jooyeon on the desk in my room. Signed, Ahn EunMi."

By the end of the statement, my eyes were wide open. The executor, of course, did not see or even take notice of my reaction. It seems as if my expression just went over his head.

EunMi left everything to me?

"Well, Ms. Ahn, just sign right  here, and all of EunMi's possessions are in your hands." He said in a very positive manner.

The executor pulled out a pen and slid the document towards me.

I studied it. I wasn't really looking for anything, but I just couldn't believe that she left everything.. to me.

I signed the document and left everything done. The box of important belongings that EunMi addressed called my interest.

 

 

//

 

Just as she wrote, there was indeed a box on her desk. I opened it with caution.

It was a slightly big box, but not huge. Inside was a large brown envelope. I examined the item and opened it.

Inside were ten white envelopes. Each of them had a number, I suppose, the order in which I'm supposed to read them. On the back, EunMi wrote a separate message:

My beloved dongsaeng, Jooyeon,

                      I'm sorry I had to leave you so soon. I didn't want to. We were so close, and you should know that I'll miss you so much. Don't go insane because of Mom. I know you and I always suffered through her moments together, but I guess you will handle them alone from now on.

                     Now, I better you're wondering why I made all these letters for you... I just want your life to be back to normal because I know that me leaving you will affect you more than anyone else I know. These letters will help.

                    Take your time. I love you. I'll always be with you.

Love,

Your Unnie EunMi.

Unnie, what have you gotten me into?