Together You and Me

Together You and Me

 

Escalera- is a game in darts wherein the players start at 20 down to 19, 18... until 12. To be able to advance down to a number, a player must be able to hit a number 3 times. If the person hits a double, that means 2 points, and for triple means three points. If the player is able to hit 3 12s, the player must hit 3 bull's eyes. The red bull's eye indicates two points while the green one indicates 1 point.

Chapter 18 “With you”

Days had passed after Miki left the Manor Hotel and she was at home sitting on the sofa. She had woken up so early and her head had finally cooled down after the series of events that had happened during the past few days. But still, the trauma that had created strain on her heart was still there. She never went out of the house and she had not talked to anyone. So she thought of visiting JUMP at the Manor Hotel.

After getting ready, she went out of the house and rode a taxi going to the Hotel. Just as she arrived JUMP had just gotten out of the Hotel’s door.

Hikaru excitedly ran down the stairs and put his arm on Miki’s shoulder and said, “Yo! Miki! How are you?”

Miki: “Hi! I just stopped by to visit everyone. But I guess you’re going somewhere?”

Hikaru let go then replied, “I just got a soccer ball and asked the others to play.”

Daiki: “Why don’t you come with us? It’ll be fun.”

Miki: “Uh... Sure...”

As they were looking for a good spot to play in:

Keito: “So Miki, have you played soccer before?”

Miki: “Well sort of. I was 10 years old back then when our class adviser in grade four taught us things about soccer. We were just kids so during break time, my classmates would get a soccer ball then use the basketball court as a soccer field. You can say that we improvised since we didn’t have a soccer field in our school. But we played just for fun.”

Keito: “Well, that’s okay. As long as you had fun. Then do you like soccer?”

Miki: “It’s either I love soccer or I probably just loved kicking the ball.”

Keito: “Well, we’re also your brothers so; we can teach you if you want.”

Miki: “That’d be great! Thanks so much!”

 

Right after they were able to find a good spot, they taught Miki about soccer and also a trick or two. Then they divided themselves into two groups and began to play.

Miki was already exhausted so she went to sit down to rest. A few minutes later, Inoo went to sit with her.

Inoo: “You tired?”

Miki: “Yep.” *hands Inoo a bottle of water*

Inoo: “Thanks.” *opens the bottle and drinks some water*

Inoo: “You know you’re pretty good at this.”

Miki: “Hehe... Thanks! You’re good at it too.”

Miki saw that Inoo was sweating so she brought out her handkerchief.

Miki: “You’re pretty tired too. Here.”

Then she began to wipe the sweat off his face.

Just as she finished, Inoo held her hand and looked at her eye-to-eye.

Miki: “Kei, are you okay?”

Inoo shook his head then said, “I uhm... Thanks.” *smiles* *let go of her hand*

Miki: “Oh. You’re welcome. I thought you were going to say something.”

Inoo: “Uhm... No. No. I wasn’t. I was just thinking of something.”

 

A few minutes later, the others were also exhausted so they thought of returning back to the hotel.

 

Inoo: “I’ll go back to my room to change.”

Miki: “Oh. Okay. I’ll wait for you in the living room.”

 

In the living room, Miki was sitting on the sofa while looking out the window. Unexpectedly, Yuto came into the room and saw her. Then he went to sit on the chair.

Miki looked at him but she didn’t say anything.

For a while, there was an awkward atmosphere which filled the room. Later, Miki thought of looking around the hotel instead of sitting in a room with the person she detested.

Just as she was going to exit the door:

Yuto: “Miki. I... I...”

Although she tried to wait for a few seconds, she turned the knob and went out of the room. Just as the door closed, she leaned against it and said in a low voice, “It’s not that easy. Times are different now. It’s not like the past that we can just talk about it and everything will be okay. It’s too difficult to just let things pass so easily. Not this time.”

 

Miki began to look around the hotel as she waited for Inoo. Just as she passed by one room, he heard Keito’s voice and the others. When she peeked inside, she saw that they were playing darts so she went inside to watch.

 

Yamada: “Oh, hi Miki! What’s up?”

Miki: “You guys like to play darts?”

Chinen: “Yup.”

Miki: “Mind if I take a look at the dart pins?”

Keito: “Sure. Here’s one.”

Miki took the dart pin and was checking it out.

Hikaru: “Uhm... So Miki, what is it that you are checking on the dart pins?”

Miki: “Uh... Oh... Nothing. What is the weight of the dart pins?”

Chinen: “We don’t know.”

Miki: “Oh. Did you guys buy the dart pins?”

Takaki: “Yes. It’s mine.”

Miki: “Do you have the box? The weight is there.”

Takaki looked at the box and read the weight of the pins, “It says 20.”

Miki: “Oh, okay. Thanks.” *hands back the dart pins*

Keito: “So, do you play darts?”

Miki: “I used to when I was in 3rd and 4th year high school. Our first child is actually the one who plays darts. After that, our second child was influenced until the time that I did also. I used to compete for my team during our School’s Sports Intramurals.”

Chinen: “Then you must be really good at it?”

Miki: “Guess so since I won first place during my last two years in high school.”

Hikaru: “Cool. Would you mind playing with us then?”

Miki: “Sure. But I don’t know if I can still do it that well.”

So for the whole time, Miki played with the five of them as she continued to wait for Inoo.

Inoo had just finished changing so he went down to the living room. He saw Yuto and asked him if he knew where she was.

Yuto: “She was here, but she left a few minutes after I entered. I can come and look around with you if you want.”

Inoo: “Okay. Sure.”

The two left the living room and went around the hotel looking for Miki. Soon, they heard laughing voices so they entered the room.

Takaki: “Aw... I was so close to winning that match.”

Miki: “I totally thought I was going to lose.”

Yamada: “Okay. I’m playing next. This time for sure, I’m going to win. Okay Miki, you go first.”

Just as Miki threw the first dart pin, she heard Keito say, “Hey Yuto and Inoo. Want to play darts with us?”

*tap*

The others turned to look at Miki and saw that the dart pin hit the green painted plywood that was at the sides of the dart board.

Miki: “Oops. I missed.”

Hikaru: “You couldn’t have missed that. It was a sure shot.”

Inoo: “He’s right. That was supposed to be a good shot but I guess you got distracted when we came in so you missed it. Sorry about it. You might have even hit the bull’s eye if we didn’t distract you.”

Miki: “You’re just saying that so I would feel better.”

Inoo removed the dart pin that was stuck on the plywood and said, “Since you guys have been playing, how about we have a go.”

Yamada: “Aww... Okay. Better luck next time. Miki, we still have a match so don’t forget about it.” *laughs*

Miki: “I won’t.”

Inoo: “It’s settled then. Next match will be you and me. And next will be with Yuto. Are you up for it?”

Miki was thinking, “*I can’t believe it. I’m okay playing with Kei but I totally don’t want to play with Yuto. But, judging from my wins against the others, I might be able to win against him too. *evil laugh*”

Miki: “Okay, I’ll play with the two of you.”

Yuto: “Wait, before we start. Miki, if I win, you’ll have to go out with me for a day and listen to what I have to say. And if you try to back out from my challenge then that means that you lose and you’ll have to follow the conditions that I have just said.”

Chinen and Yamada: “Oooh!! It looks like we have a special challenge today. This will be interesting.”

Miki: “Huh?! No way! I... I...”

Yuto: “So what will it be?”

Miki held her head up high and said, “No matter what my decision will be, the result will be the same. So, I accept your challenge. And I’m not backing down that easily.”

Keito: “It’s settled then. If Yuto wins in their match, the rules will be put into effect. 1st game is between Miki and Inoo.”

Inoo: “Let’s both have fun! Good luck!”

Miki: “Okay! Good Luck to you too!”

So Yuto watched the match from the sides. A few minutes later, Miki and Inoo were each at the edge of winning.

Chinen: “I wonder who’ll get two bull’s eyes.”

Miki wasn’t able to hit the green bull’s eye to get 1 point nor was she able to hit the red bull’s eye to win the game.

It was Inoo’s turn and he was able to hit the green bull’s eye which leaves him 1 more to win the game. After a few attempts, Miki was finally able to hit the red bull’s eye.

Miki: “Finally! I was able to hit it!”

Inoo: “Congratulations! You played really well!”

Miki: “Likewise with you too. You did great! That was totally a great game.”

Keito: “Okay Miki, you still have one more game.”

Takaki: “I wonder if Yuto will be able to break Miki’s winning streak. I mean, neither of us was able to beat her yet.”

Yamada: “Yuto, Ganbare! You can do it! We weren’t able to win so, we hope you will.”

In Miki’s thoughts, “Let’s see about it. You’re not going to make me feel uneasy just because of those rules. I’m not going to lose to you. It’s so not going to happen! I hope I still have lady luck on my side. I can do this! I was able to defeat the others, so I’m not letting you ruin my winning streak.”

Miki: “Bring it on! I’m not going to lose you.”

Yuto: “And I won’t either. I’ll make sure to win against you.”

Hikaru: “Things keep getting better and better. I wonder who will win this time.”

 

The game of Escalera had finally started.

 

*During Miki’s first turn, she was able to hit a double and single 20 and next was a single 19.

* It was Yuto’s first turn and he was able to hit 2 single 20’s and an outside.

 

* 2nd turn- Miki hit a double 19

-a single 18and an outside

* 2nd turn- Yuto got a single 20

- A lucky triple 19

- Then he advanced and was able to hit a single 18.

 

* 3rd turn- Miki got two single 18s

- was able to hit a double 17

* 3rd turn- Yuto hit a double 18

- A triple 17

- And a single 16.

 

*4th turn- Miki hit a single 17

- And two single 16s

*4th turn- Yuto hit a double 16

- And hit a double 15

 

Miki was behind so she felt a little uneasy.

 

5th turn- Miki hit a single 16

- And two single 15s

5th turn- Yuto hit a single 15

-and two single 14s

 

The game progressed and the two had finally reached the last stretch of the game.

 

Keito: “Okay Yuto. You can do this. Just hit 3 bull’s eyes and you win.”

Inoo: “Miki Ganbare! You can do it!”

 

After a few attempts, only Miki was able to hit a green bull’s eye.

 Takaki: “Only two more bull’s eye and she wins. Yuto, you’ve got to score. You can do it!”

Yuto: “I’m already doing my best to win.”

 

During Yuto’s next attempt he was able to get a red bull’s eye.

 

Takaki: “Yes! One more and you win.”

Inoo: “Miki don’t give up yet. Just continue to concentrate. Don’t mind what Takaki’s saying.”

 

It was a head to head game between the two. Neither of them wanted to lose. In every attempt that they had, their anxiety level increased. Until:

 

Miki’s first shot didn’t get through.

On the second shot, she hit a green bull’s eye.

 

Inoo: “One more Miki. You can win this!”

Keito: “Only one more shot. It’s an 80-20 chance. It will be hard to aim most especially because the other pin is blocking the view. Please oh please, I hope it’s a miss.”

Yuto: *gulp*

 

Miki thought once again, “This is my last shot. If I don’t get this in, surely Yuto will probably win on his next attempt. And that can’t happen. I was able to get a shot on the bull’s eye even if the view was blocked during the past and at this time; I know that I can still pull it off.”

 

Her hands began to tremble and she felt a lot nervous. She took a deep breath and tried to position herself as comfortable as she could so she can get a good view of the target.

 

In a split second,

 

 

Hikaru: “Woah! It hit the red bull’s eye! I can’t believe it! She won!”

Keito: “She won?! No way!”

 

Miki: “I won?!”

Inoo: “Congratulations! You did! Good job!”

Miki: “Yes! Finally I feel so relieved.”

 

Yamada went beside him and tapped his shoulder while saying, “That’s okay you did your best Yuto.”

 

Keito: “The game has ended and... The winner is Miki. So, the conditions of Yuto will not apply. Aww... Not even one of us was able to win. ”

Miki: “Don’t worry Keito, There’s always next time. And surely, the next time we play, either of you guys will win.”

Yuto held out his hand to Miki and said, “Congratulations for winning.”

Miki shook hands with him and said, “Thanks.”

 

Yamada: “Hey, guys. It’s already 12 noon. How about we call the others and grab some lunch.”

Takaki: “Sure. I’ll go tell the others then.”

 

Just as the others were on their way to get some lunch, Miki noticed Inoo wasn’t there.

Miki: “Where’s Kei?”

 

Yamada: “Kei? During the past week, he usually doesn’t eat lunch with us. He says that he is busy with something. You can go find him after we eat.”

Miki: “Uh okay.”

 

After lunch Miki left the others to look for Inoo. Then, she heard someone playing the keyboard in JUMP’s instrument room.

She entered and saw Inoo playing.

Miki: “Hey! What’s up?”

Just as Inoo heard Miki, he quickly stopped playing.

Inoo: “I... Uhm... Nothing, I was just practicing.”

Miki: “What’s that piece you were playing?”

Inoo: “No. No. It’s nothing.” *hides the sheets of paper*

Miki: “It looks like you’re busy with something.”

 

Inoo: “Really, it’s nothing. Ha... Have you eaten already?”

Miki: “Yes I have. I was looking for you but Yamada said that you were doing something so I thought of checking out what you were up to after lunch. And I guess you were here the whole time... practicing.”

Inoo: “Well, you know that I’ve got to practice so I can improve my skills.”

Miki sat beside Inoo and said, “You do have a point there. Hmm...”

 

Inoo: “What is it?”

Miki: “I remembered the time when Yuto taught me how to play the drums and guitar.”

Inoo: “When did he teach you?”

Miki: “I don’t remember. It was probably last week.”

Miki: “Can you teach me how to play the piano? He told me to ask you because it’s your forte.”

 

Inoo: “Do you want to learn how to play the piano too?”

Miki: “I’ve always wanted to learn how to play when I was young. But I missed every opportunity that my parents gave me.”

Inoo: “Well, since there is still a lot of time left, sure I’d love to teach you how to play.”

Miki: “That’s great. Thanks so much!”

 

So before Inoo began to teach her, he asked her questions about her knowledge of playing the piano. She replied that she knew the major and minor keys. Later, he began to teach her the basics.

 

After a few hours, Miki and Inoo were now playing basic tunes. It was now 5:30 in the afternoon and Inoo finished teaching Miki how to play the piano.

 

Inoo: “You were great. In just a few hours, you were able to play different tunes.”

Miki: “Well, that’s because I have an amazing instructor. Thanks so much!”

Inoo: “The pleasure’s all mine. Well, it’s getting dark already. Here, let me take you home.”

Miki: “Sure, I’d love to.”

 

The two of them rode in the car and left. Miki began to yawn so Inoo asked, “You must be very tired after today?”

Miki: “I usually feel sleepy at this time.”

Inoo moved a little closer and said: “You can lean on my shoulder if you like to rest.”

Miki: “Thanks Kei. I’m glad that I’m with you.”

Inoo: “I feel the same way too.”