Chapter 3

After Dark

 

 

Calvin held onto the cup and swirled the coffee inside it, waiting patiently for Victoria. It was a gloomy morning in Jeju, the wind chilly. He covered himself with one of his favorite black leather jackets today and felt thankful that he didn't just pack clothes that was for the summer weather unlike Wu and Jiro. In the midst of his thoughts, Victoria showed up clad in black leggings and a white camisole and a batwing orange cardigan. She matched it well with boots and a gray beanie. 

 

"I hope I didn't make you wait too long." She hurriedly took a seat. Before she could pull out the seat across him, he pulled out the one beside him and patted it. She flushed but followed his command. 

 

Once seated, he whispered into her ear, "You did. Long enough to make me miss you." She flushed once again when he heard this and felt the temperature rising to her cheeks when she felt his warm breath tickle the length of her spine. He kissed her softly on the neck and left one more kiss on the length of her shoulders. 

 

This was something he always wanted to do with Jinri and he shocked himself with w easy he could do it with Victoria. This was natural. This was his natural side. With Jinri, it was always about being able to look good in the public. It was always about having a good reputation and that affection should only be shown to one anotheronce they were at home. Though they were affectionate, it wasn't like this. It wasn't this easy.

 

"You really know how to speak to a girl." She joked. "I wouldn't be surprised if you had a girlfriend at home." She examined his reaction and figured there probably was someone. She sighed. "Yah. It's okay with me if you do. So long as you're honest." And truth be told, it was. It was fun being with Calvin but once they go back to Seoul, they would be bus with their lives. What were the chances she'd actually keep in touch with him?

 

Besides, it was about time she followed Luna and "let loose."

 

If she was here, she'd be so proud of me.

 

"Well... There is a girl back at home." He started. "Where do I begin?"

 

*

 

" I'll be back in Seoul tomorrow." Victoria started, avoiding his gaze. “And you’ll be back to Seoul.” He nodded and stayed mute. She feigned a smile, refusing to accept the defeating feeling. She sighed deeply. “This was fun though, wasn’t it?”

 

He smiled at her. “You don’t normally do this, right?” She looked at him and he smiled comically. “Cause, you know, I’m not usually like this.” She watched his expression. “I mean, I don’t go to places and hook up with guys. Never. Not once.”

 

Victoria laughed. “Do you think I do this often?”

 

“Why wouldn’t you?” he asked. “You’re wonderful.”

 

Her cheeks turned into a deep shade of crimson. “So are you,” she whispered. Her head fell back and her eyes were fixated on the graying sky. It was beginning to get dark real fast. She couldn’t believe that a day has passed. Even though she didn’t want to leave yet, she knew she had to soon. She’d stay longer, and she wished she could, but she’d have to pack her things and get ready. By the time midnight comes, she’ll have to go to the airport and fly back to Seoul by the time morning comes in order to make it to her best friend’s pictorial.

 

“Tell me about her.” Before she knew what she was saying, the words have already blurted out . “Do you love her?”

 

He looked at her and at first, was taken aback. “I do.”  

 

“And you want to get married to her?”

 

“I’m not so sure anymore.” He looked up at the sky and heaved a heavy sigh. “What do you say we start getting back to the hotel as I talk?” he held out a hand and without any hesitation, took it.

 

She nudged his shoulder with her elbows. “You know, I think I’d hate it if you were to marry her.” He laughed at her joke and she continued. “I don’t think I’d be able to stand it.” She squeezed his hand and screamed. “Geez, curse me for meeting an engaged man in Jeju!"

 

*

 

Calvin kissed Victoria slowly, taking in deeply of her scent. Her hands roamed his back, her fingers crawling slowly up to line his shoulders. Her lips were velvet on his, her skin soft and glowing in the dark. Her hair was sprawled on the pillow, long strands of brown. “You’re beautiful.” He whispered to her neck before leaving trails of kisses.

 

“I don’t want to let you go.”