until you forget

Until She Breathes Again

 

It is October 20, 2010 and she stares out at the crowd in front of the ice cream truck. It’s a warm afternoon despite the chill of autumn, or perhaps it is only because she can feel him beside her, staring longingly at the ice cream truck.

“Do you want some?” she asks and Woohyun laughs at her whole-heartedly, his eyes turning into upward crescent shapes as he does so. He shakes his head and declines her gently, musing to himself how he’d get fat if he ate those sweet treats, but encouraging her all the same to buy some for herself. She counters by using his excuse.

They fall into a comfortable silence before Woohyun talks about his day. She listens intently, as she always does, but her mind drifts away and her eyes go blank. It’s hard listening to the same story over and over again.

He calls her name softly, and she regrets looking at him. Woohyun is staring at her with those eyes, those hauntingly beautiful eyes that convey a thousand different emotions all at once.

“I love you.” He suddenly says, and it takes her off guard but her response is almost automatic as she says the three words back to him. As he always does, Woohyun smiles gratefully at her, but there is something different this time and she can’t tell what it is exactly.

“I love you.” He repeats and she gets the feeling that he’s willing her not to say anything else. So she waits, and listens, and his next words crush her heart into a million pieces all over again. “So please don’t come back here anymore.”

She pauses, and waits for him to laugh.

She blinks, and waits for him to tell her he’s joking.

There’s a strangled noise in the back of and she’s not sure if it came from her at all but she knows that once again Woohyun is making her cry.

“…no.” is her firm response. “I won’t.” she says, louder this time.

“Don’t be a kid.” Woohyun calls her name, and from the tone of his voice, she can tell that this isn’t any easier to him as it is to her. “You’ll only be hurt if you come back here again. Especially on this day.” He leans closer to her and the heat he gives off has her turning to look at him, only to find Woohyun only inches away from her. Inches, only centimeters away practically, yet still not touching.

His eyes are begging her. It seems he has run out of things to convince her with.

She has always been a stubborn girl.

She can feel her chest constrict and her heart ache. He’s pushing her back again. It isn’t the first time he has done so, but it is the first time he has done so on this day.

Granted, it has only been two years – but two years has been too long and two hours with him now seem too short.

She swallows back a sob and looks into his eyes. Woohyun does not hesitate to look straight back, he stares so intently she’s forced to look away. It has always been a gift of his to intimidate her so easily with simply one look.

“If you don’t leave, I will.” He mumbles under his breath and her head snaps towards him and he sees the fear in her eyes so clearly.

No, no, no. Her head seems to chant and Woohyun hears her clearly.

Woohyun smiles one final time before easing into his seat beside her. He doesn’t say anything, obviously he has said enough, but he doesn’t make a move to leave. It’s his final gift to her, it seems. His assurance that no, he will never leave her, he will always stay beside her.

But he wants her to turn away from him and it confuses her so, so much.

They both know she can never, will never, forget.

Woohyun lets her cry silently beside him without leaving this time. Quiet sobs rack through her body as she mumbles his name over and over and over again.

 


 

A/N::
Part three is coming up soon
OTL

this should have been updated 
waaaay earlier ;;