3 Up, 1 Down

Let Loose

Chapter 3 | 3 Up, 1 Down
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ KRYSTAL'S POV ]

After the incident, I rushed to my Language Arts class. I glanced down at my watch, begging for the bell to ring. Hopefully, I didn't have to encounter Amber or her friends. Even though I didn't mean to, I felt bad for lashing out on her. As I replayed the moments that occurred, I felt disgusted at my rudeness. Was it necessary?

Hope filled up in me as the door opened. The teacher, a gray-haired lady told me the bell would ring soon and I was allowed to enter the class. She pointed me to my assigned seat. I sat down in the back of the room, nearly hidden by the looming bookcase. Good, no one could bother me as I thought about my life bitterly.

When the bell rang, the class rushed in and everyone took their seat. To my surprise, the girl who witnessed me yelling at Amber was in this class. I felt even more horrified when it turned out her seat was near mine. I glued my eyes to my desk. It wasn't until the teacher's booming voice echoed into my ear did I came back to reality.

"Class, welcome to another day of school. Today, you will do a small project. You will turn to your partner and introduce yourself. Yes, I know we did this at the beginning of the year. This time, it's a project. Now, off you go!! Tell your partner about yourself and your personality. You've got five minutes!! After that, I will pass out your project criteria. We will continue this project for this week and the next one."

I stayed rigid, staring at my desk blankly. Then I felt someone tapping on me. It was the girl. She smiled earnestly. "Hey, I'm Sulli. Let's do this project together..." She droned on and on. After a few minutes, I interrupted her. "You know, I'm not always rude like that. I don't know why I shouted at Amber. Maybe I am just a bad person. Tell her I'm sorry, okay?" Sulli squeezed my hand quickly. Her eyes twinkled as she replied. "No, I will not..." I was taken aback but she continued. "... you will tell her that. You will join us for lunch too." Lunch? Why did she offered me such a thing? I didn't want to contradict my explanation so I nodded.

After several minutes, I found myself attracted to this girl. As a friend, of course. She had so much brightness, optimism, and happiness in her. Being near her, I found myself forgetting my troubles and feeling relaxed. Before I knew it, the brief discussion was over and the teacher gave us an assignment. Well, I didn't have to be disappointed. After all, I got this week and the next one to get familiar with this amazing girl. Unless my pessimistic being escaped and she would look at me through another perspective. Maybe I shouldn't get to close. After all, I couldn't risk adding more troubles.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ LUNA'S POV ]

When lunch came, I ran to the cafeteria. I stood by the entrance to wait for Sulli. For some reason, when did arrived, Krystal Jung went with her. I rolled my eyes mentally. "Hi, Sulli..." Sulli pushed Krystal forward. "Um.. hi Luna. Luna Park, right?" I smiled briefly. "So, let's go and get lunch. Krystal probably wants to hang with her friends!!" I hooked arms with Sulli but she didn't budge. "Actually... I asked Krystal to join us.. I hope you don't mind!!" Of course I minded. This girl... she insulted Amber for trying to help! I shrugged but smiled. "Okay, let's go then!!" As I turned my back, I swore I saw a smile on the Ice Princess. Haha, I had been Krystalized! Maybe she wasn't mean? Wait, how could she not be so? She lashed out at the nicest person ever!!

After grabbing our lunch, we sat in one of the booths. Krystal picked at her spaghetti as I finished mine. Sulli, she was eating her hamburger slowly to savor it. Finally, Amber came running in and took at seat. "Sorry. I was late. My teacher told me to sta-" Yup, she noticed Krystal and her expression became stiff. Krystal faced Amber, "Sorry for lashing out at you. I didn't mean it. Really. I just had so much going on. I am not sure why I yelled at you. I guess I am just a horrible person. Anyways, I am really sorry." Amber's grim expression broke and warmth spread quickly. She smiled and patted Krystal's shoulder. For the first time, I saw Krystal grinned.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ SULLI'S POV ]

I felt happy that I had first period with Krystal. Now, Amber and Krystal didn't feel awkward after the whole incident this morning. I couldn't help but smile as I nibbled on my brownie. Amber reached over and tapped me. "Enjoying the brownie?" I nodded sheepishly and she burst out laughing. Krystal picked up hers and handed to me. "There, I don't each much." Luna smiled. "Krystal, you should eat more. You've only ate some spaghetti. It's not healthy. Just so we're clear, I officially like you. You're actually nice. Haha."

I took the brownie after Krystal pushing it into my hands again. "Thanks, Krystal. Guess what? We can all be friends. Well, I guess so... Krystal's in my first period. Luna, you've got sixth period with me. Too bad I don't have any class with Amber. I guess since I am in 10th grade and she's in 12th but hey, we live together!!" Krystal smiled and asked, "You guys live together?" Amber explained, "Yeah. Luna and Sulli. We'd invite you but it seems like you have family..." Before lowering my head, I noticed Luna and Krystal did too. Krystal whispered, "I might as well have none." Amber dropped the juice she drank. She gripped Krystal's arm softly and got her attention. "I'm sorry, Krystal. Luna, Sulli, I'm sorry too. I didn't mean to say that..." We sighed in unison and decided to be less pessimistic. Luna broke the silence.

"Three years ago, I came to this area for summer. I was supposed to go to my grandma's. I was running late and I decided to go through the thick forest. Well, I got lost and I fell. Somehow, Amber saved me. We lost connection awhile. Then when my parents divorced, I was left to be cared for by my grandma. Amber and I continued to be friends. My grandma, she knew she didn't have much time. So she requested Amber's dad to take me in. So that's how I came to live there. I've lived there for a year now..."

I looked at Luna sympathetically. Her eyes shined because of tears. However, she blinked it back. I decided to tell my story. "Yesterday, I was left in the forest. By my mom. Well, she remarried. Obviously, her new husband didn't know she had a kid. So she left me in the forest, near Amber's house. It was very far from our house so I had no chance to return. Amber saw me and took me in. Right now, right here, I promise to forget everything about my past. Amber and Luna are my family now. I will not think about my past!"

Krystal hugged me. Her hoodie felt warm as her arms wrapped around me. Then she told her story. "All my life, I had been living under my sister's shadow. She was perfect and amazing. At least, to everyone. Well, she and my mom was very similar. Both could do well without me. They make subtle hints that they disliked my being. I feel angry and caged. I don't even know if I could ever live a day without worrying or feeling hurt. I... Forget it!"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ KRYSTAL'S POV ]

My arms shook furiously. Amber scooted into the booth. She wrapped her arm around my neck and leaned against me. "It's okay. I'm sorry. You guys deserve better..." I looked up, "Let's clear. Lunch is almost over!" We stood up and headed to the trash cans. Changmin pulled on my arm. I shook my head, "Later." His eyes begged, "Please. I need to talk to you." Amber made a signal to say she and the girls would allow us to talk. They left and I stood inside the cafeteria with Changmin.

"What do you want, Changmin?"

He flinched at my harsh tone but shook it off. "Krys-" Sensing my disapproval at the name, he restated, "Krystal, I am sorry. About what happened this morning. I don't know why I did that. I know what I did was wrong!" I cut him. "Changmin, stop apologizing. You've done so enough. For the past few weeks, you've been drinking. Done some terrible things to me and then come crawling back to say you're sorry. This time, I am not going to overlook it. You may be my friend but you need to get over it!!" He slumped, "How can I? She was my first love. Yoona. She was so perfect and we were about to hook up...."

"Hold on there, you were not about to hook up!! She didn't even acknowledged your existence! Might I add that she died because she was drunk in her car with Jaejoong? Should I mention that she used you? She led you on, making you do everything for her. Then that night, she went with Jaejoong for a ride and then they crashed. Go and ask Jaejoong. He'll tell you how she was on their last night!!"

As much as it hurt me, I didn't want him to be fooled. I wanted him to process this through his mind. He needed to understand Im Yoona never liked him. Her death was brought by karma. She had inflicted this upon herself! I knew I sounded mean but it was the truth. That bad girl deserved no respect. Everything she did backfired on her. All she was now was spirit if not nothing.

I watched as my best friend walked out of my life. My best friend who got held back three years just to be with me. My best friend who escorted me to my 8th grade dance because I was alone. Changmin was the one who helped me write the "y" in my name in kindergarten. He was the one who gave me the skateboard I had. Now, he was just a memory. If I was lucky, he'd turn around right now. However, he didn't. He continued to go down the hall, getting smaller and smaller by the minute. Only then, did I realized I was holding onto my arms to keep from falling.