Encounters

Let Loose

Chapter 2   | Encounters
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ LUNA'S POV ]

I felt the presence of someone on my bed and I jerked awake. It was Sulli peering at me and I clutched my chest to keep it from bursting. What was she doing? That was weird because her face was inches from mine. Okay, it was a feet away but I couldn't help but be in shock. What was I supposed to do but jump awake? She definitely scared me!! Her face was apologetic and I calmed down somewhat. Then she hopped off my bed and stared at the ground. I decided to break the silence. "What are you doing here?" I got off my bed and yanked open the curtains. The sunshine were uncomfortable, forcing me to look at another direction.

"It's morning. Time for school? Amber told me to wake you up," Sulli smiled. Then she went over and grabbed my wrist. I didn't follow her out the door. Instead, I removed her hand. To keep her from feeling bad, I laughed. "Don't you think I should shower first? I need to look good and smell good for school. After all, I am the most popular girl there!" Her eyes widened. "Really?" This time, I laughed with all my heart. "No, Sulli! I'm not that popular. I'm sure you'll be though. You're really cute and nice. Now, come on, get out! I need to freshen up!!" I gently pushed her out the door.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ SULLI'S POV ]

The smell of blueberry pancakes made me smile as I followed the scent. It led me to the kitchen and I sat down next to Amber. She was reading a newspaper. Hmm, I never met a girl who read newspapers. Then again, I never met a tomboy like Amber. So I guessed it was different. I tapped her to signal her attention. "Huh?" I wanted to say I was hungry but that sounded rude and impolite.

I shook my head and she returned to her reading. Suddenly, I felt like my stomach was about to explode. It gave a huge rumble and Amber erupted into fits of laughter. After seeing my glare, she became quiet. "Dad, I think little Sulli is hungry!" Mr. Liu came bustling and dropped some pancakes on my plate. Then he dropped some more on Amber's plate and resumed cooking. He was pretty nice although too strict. I felt relieved to see the pancakes. "Thank you, Mr. Liu!!" He chuckled. "Eat up, girls. School today. Where's Luna?"

"I'm here!! Sorry, I was showering. Hey, Sulli, do you got a brush on you? My hair has so many knots today!! Mr. Liu, you going to drop us at school? Can we go to the convenience store? I need to get some food because I usually get hungry and today is a basketball game!"

I liked Luna. She was very nice and outgoing. At first, I was taken aback by her outgoing personality but now I knew she meant no harm. Last night, she allowed me to borrow a very cute pair of pajamas. Before she went to sleep, she spent a long time chatting with me. She asked me things about me and made me feel special. Special after being dumped in a forest by my mom. The thought made me shiver but no one noticed.

"Yeah sure. No problem! We'll get you some snacks. Okay, can you girls eat fast? I need to drop you guys off and then go to work. Big meeting today!!"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ KRYSTAL'S POV ]

"Wake up!! It's morning now. KRYSTAL!! Do you hear me? Wake up and go to school!! Now!"

I didn't need to be conscious to know who this was. Jessica, my sister. Before I could get out of bed, Jessica yanked my covers and shoved me out of bed. Then she yelled, "Hurry up!! I am not going to drive you to school if you're late. If the bus isn't here, I will not drive you!! GO!!" I opened my drawers and picked out my outfit. Then I glared at her, "So does that mean if the bus is here, you'll drive?" She raised her hand to threaten me but I shrugged and disappeared into the bathroom.

After showering, I came out to the living room. Jessica stood by the sofa, folding her arms. She didn't look like an angel in her stupid little dress. "Oh, you know what? This time, you're lucky the bus isn't here yet or else..." Huh, she looked more like a stupid devil to me. I pulled on my Converse sneakers and grabbed my skateboard from under the sofa. Angrily, I shoved her aside. Turning around, I mumbled. "I don't need the bus or you. I can walk there or use my skateboard." Then I opened the door and left. I did hear my mom's and Jessica's responses trailing behind me. "... I wonder if she will ever grow up...." and "Someday, I will make sure she doesn't have that stupid skateboard. We'll see how she go..."

I sped down the hill, not checking for cars or people. My anger blinded me and I came to an abrupt halt ten minutes later. I missed getting ran over by 1 second. Even though I didn't get ran over, I did get injured. My legs were bruised and bloody because I scraped it as I fell on the sidewalk. Then I stood up. To the left of me was a convenience store. I entered it and started to look for bandages. No way would I go to school with my jeans looking all bloody! The bells on the door rang often as customers entered and exited. I continued to search everywhere for bandages. Then I found some half-concealed behind some plastic gloves and I ran towards the cash register.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ VICTORIA'S POV ]

My hands dug into the box, searching for a box of Pocky. As soon as I got my hands on one, I turned for the register. However, I bumped into a guy. I tried to avoid him but it didn't work. I laughed as I moved to the left, he mirrored me. I glanced up and my smile evaporated. It was him. My hands held onto the box of Pocky furiously. "You okay? Miss?" I shoved a smile and nodded. He left for the back side of the store and then I hesitated in my spot.

The thing was, I never thought of what my revenge would be. What would I do? I knew I couldn't kill this guy because I didn't have that kind of courage and I was definitely not becoming a criminal. Should I scam him? This was not easy. How could I build trust? I guessed I need time to think this through. So then I went for the register. Again, I bumped into someone. This time, it was a girl. This time, I helped her up. "Are you okay? Sorry. Here, let me help you up." She merely nodded and paid quickly. Then she left.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ KRYSTAL'S POV ]

I went behind the store and pulled up my pants. My cuts were messy and gross. I covered the cuts quickly and left the box on the cement. Time for school now. Another depressing day for me. Living under my stupid sister's shadow.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ LUNA'S POV ]

I snuggled into the seat, peering out the window. I felt tempted to rip open my bag of Oreos but decided against it. If I ate it now, there would be nothing later. To distract my urge, I talked to Sulli and Amber. "Sulli, what are you going to do when you get to school? Going to make new friends and forget me? Haha. I think you should try to make as much as possible. It's all about survival at the high school."

She smiled shyly. Maybe the thought didn't occur to her because she didn't know what to answer. Instead, she replied the answer I didn't think of. "I will make friends with yours. You and Amber are my best friends now. So I don't need others. I am sure your friends are nice." I patted her shoulder and smiled. "Yes, they will love you. Except that 'they' don't exist. My only friend is Amber. As of today, you and Amber. I'm sorry. We're not really popular..." Sulli nodded but she didn't seem disappointed. "Well then I'm okay with it. I am sure all I need is you guys!" Amber grinned too. Even though she didn't say much today, she enjoyed Sulli's company.

When Mr. Liu came to a halt, I grabbed my tote and jumped out of the car. Sulli and Amber followed my lead. Amber grabbed Sulli's hand and pointed at the massive school. "This, is your new school now." 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ KRYSTAL'S POV ]

As soon as I reached the school, I made a detour for the back. Hardly anyone went here. I sat on a bench, waiting for the bell to ring. For now, I would stay hidden under the willow tree. I heard footsteps and I turned around to see Changmin heading my way. "Krystal, what are you doing here?" What was I doing here? This was my place ever since I entered high school!! Which was recent. Changmin stood in front of me, pulling my wrist. "Changmin? Are you drunk?"

He held onto my shoulders and suddenly slipped his hands into my hair. Then he pulled on it. The pain made me yell. "STOP IT!! Changmin!!!" What was he doing? He was my friend! Why was he drunk today? He never got drunk on a school day!! He dragged me to the dumpster. "Changmin!! Let me go!!! What are you doing?!?" He stopped to shout. "Bring her back!! BRING HER BACK!!" I realized what he was trying to say. Before I could say anything, a boy interrupted and removed him. "What are you doing?"

Nope, it wasn't a boy. It was Amber, Amber Liu. "Do you need help, Krystal? I heard you yelling. Did he do something to you?" However, I allowed my anger to get the best of me. I yanked my arms from her. "I am good, I don't need your help! Especially from a Chinese!" Okay, that was mean and rude. I had nothing against Chinese but in my moment of frustration, I blurted out. She shrugged. "Fine. I was just trying to help!" I felt even more angry. "Help? No one needs your help? Okay? Mind your own business!" I looked around and noticed Luna and some girl staring at me. I tugged on my skateboard and left.

Why did I made such a dumb and mean comment? I wasn't racist!! I guessed my anger with Jessica, the car, and Changmin's craziness had took over me. I hated Jessica and I hated Changmin. They made me miserable and I didn't know what to do!! They never brought me happiness. Only despair and hopelessness. Still, I shouldn't have lashed out on Amber. She was only trying to help! Ugh, I felt like a brat.