Desperate Measures

8finite: Part 4 Woohyun's Story

 

            When Julia got back into the apartment she was bombarded with sad hugs and frantic questions. She ushered everyone into the main room so she could tell them her plan to find Sunny and have her live with them.

            “Wait, but she isn’t actually his girlfriend,” Sungjong pointed out after a short silence.

            “Yes I know I’m going to see if she would be willing to kind of… pretend she is,” Julia said sheepishly.

            “Jules that is a little messed up though isn’t it?” Shelly asked as she looked around at everyone else. “No? Am I the only one?”

            “No I agree noona, if you want to earn his trust we shouldn’t lie to him,” Hoya said.

            “But he wasn’t even going to come back home if I didn’t promise him that I’d find her. I don’t know what else to do guys,” she said choking on her words at the end. She was trying to stay strong, but they were right. What she was proposing was to lie to him and let him believe that girl was actually his girlfriend.

            “Well maybe we could try having her talk to him about their relationship. Maybe you could ask her to break up with him,” Sungjong offered excitedly.

            “That’s even worse Jongie,” Myungsoo insisted. “That will ruin him.”

            “Yeah maybe noona’s right,” Sungyeol reasoned. “If she can make him happy then he will like us too. And then he will remember us! When he is ready to.”

            “It’s still lying though,” Hoya mumbled mainly to himself. Julia wasn’t happy about it either, but she didn’t know what else to do.

            “I have made up my mind,” Julia said firmly. “I can’t see him in pain anymore. Now I am going to go find this girl.”

            “I’ll come with you noona,” Dongwoo finally spoke up. His eyes that were usually so joyful were dull like he hadn’t slept.

            “Thank you Dongwoo. First can you look up if any karaoke bars have opened nearby? Especially ones near colleges. We are going to search there first.”

 

 

            Dongwoo didn’t sleep at all the night before. He couldn’t handle this situation. He couldn’t find a bright side to it. He was usually so good at finding the good in a situation, but there was nothing about this that was okay. Woohyun didn’t know them anymore.

            After Hoya, Dongwoo considered Woohyun his closest friend in the band. They constantly goofed off together, but lately Woohyun had been so sad. Dongwoo found himself trying to make him feel better all the time when he used to be so carefree.

            Dongwoo wanted to go with Julia to find this girl for two reasons. The first was obvious. He wanted to keep an eye on Julia. He saw how hard she was trying to be strong and if there was one thing Dongwoo was good at it was helping others feel better. He hoped his presence would make it easier for her to find the strength she needed.

            The other reason was that he wanted to meet this girl. He hadn’t seen her that night at the hospital. They were all too frightened to even consider her. They had only known at the time that Woohyun was hit by a car. For all they knew he could have been dead. No one cared about the girl. Noona had asked if she was alright, but as soon as the doctor said she was fine they all happily forgot about her.

            Now this mystery girl was the one thing that Woohyun wanted. He didn’t care about any of them. Dongwoo was upset, but he tried not to hold it against him. It wasn’t his fault. But he wanted to make sure this girl was going to help instead of being a detriment.

            He held his noona’s hand as they slowly made their way to the newest karaoke bar that opened nearby. It wasn’t far from the bus stop where the accident happened. The neighborhood was actually only a thirty minute walk from their apartment.

            There was no school in this neighborhood though. Noona had said that Woohyun thought she was a student that lived near a newly opened karaoke bar. At first noona wanted to look somewhere else, but Dongwoo pointed out that she had been at a bus stop so she may have been traveling to her school. Julia had sighed and leaned her head on Dongwoo; thankful he was there. He was smarter than people gave him credit for.

            “What do we do just start yelling out her name?” Dongwoo asked.

            “I didn’t think that far ahead,” she said as she nibbled on her bottom lip thoughtfully.

            “Yo Sunny!!!” Dongwoo yelled on the crowded street. Some of the people on the street looked at them curiously and Julia hid her face in his sleeve in embarrassment. One young girl seemed to recognize them instantly and ran over.

            “Dongwoo oppa?” She questioned in disbelief. She was maybe only thirteen. She smiled up at him brightly and bounced on her toes.

            “Yup that’s me and this here is Julia,” he said as he nudged her to reveal her face.

            Julia smiled at her and it looked like the girl was going to faint from the shock. At first when they became famous, fans didn’t seem to like Julia and it had upset Dongwoo greatly that anyone would dislike her. But now that the country had gotten to know her she was most often people’s favorite. Dongwoo didn’t mind this at all though. Hoya may have been his best friend, but Julia had always been his favorite.

            “Omo, Julia unni! You are my favorite. You and Sunggyu oppa are so cute,” the girl said in a shocked voice.

            “Thank you so much. Would you like a hug?” Julia was always giving out hugs. At least to female fans. Sunggyu didn’t like it when she hugged the male fans unless they were children, but she often did it anyway. Sunggyu’s face always gave Dongwoo a good laugh.

            After the girl received her hug and was breathing semi normally Dongwoo addressed her again.

            “Hey, would you happen to know if a girl named Sunny lives around here?”

            “Sunny…. Sunny,” the girl thought hard. He could see how badly she wanted to help them. “There is a girl living with my friend from down the street right now, but her name is Sun Hee I thought. I haven’t met her yet though so I could be wrong.”

            Dongwoo and Julia gave each other a doubtful look. The name was close. Maybe Woohyun misheard her?

            “Can you take us there? We would like to check just in case.”

 

 

            Since the accident Sunny had checked the news often. She was on the internet every moment since the night before; making sure there was nothing terrible said about Woohyun. She wanted to stay that night at the hospital, but she couldn’t bare her guilt any longer.

            She had poked her head out of her hospital room once because she wanted to check on him. She stepped down the emergency care hall and saw the other members of Infinite crowded around.

            Most of them were crying and holding each other. Hoya was hugging some red headed girl she didn’t recognize. It looked like she was the one comforting him. Sungjong had been clutching L’s hand with a petrified look on his face. L was whispering something in his ear to comfort him no doubt, but L had tears rolling down his own face. Sungyeol and Dongwoo were pacing in the small hallway and kept bumping into each other and looking annoyed with the other. The worst was seeing Sunggyu and Julia. They were trying to calm the others even as tears streamed freely down their faces. They were all one big mess.

            And it is all my fault.

            She ran away like a coward. She regretted it. She was never going to get a chance to apologize to the members or to thank Woohyun for saving her life.

            She was moping in her room at her friend’s house as she tried to concentrate on her math homework. What am I even doing? I can’t do math homework when I may have killed someone. Let alone Woohyun from Infinite.

            She thought about how nice he had been. He had always seemed nice in interviews, but Sunny had never met a famous person before. She just assumed they would be different in person. She thought he would be cold or that he wouldn’t give her the time of day. But even though he seemed slightly depressed, like she had noticed lately in interviews, he was still warm with her. She couldn’t believe that it was really him. She was thinking maybe she needed better glasses.

            Her heart had been racing the whole time but it had stuttered to a stop when he touched her. His eyes staring into hers had sent her stilled heart into a frenzy. He was, of course, drop dead gorgeous, but it was the look in his eyes that got her. He looked at her as if he knew her. In that moment she felt like she knew him too.

            She was going to check the internet for the 30th time that day to see if there were any news updates when she heard a man’s voice screaming her name.

            “Sun Hee!!!!!” the man’s voice called from outside. There was something comical about the way he drew out the ‘ee’ sound.

            Sunny opened the second story window and heard a woman’s voice shushing the guy. Sunny stuck her head out and looked straight down to see two familiar faces on the sidewalk below.

            Her jaw dropped as she looked down at Julia and Dongwoo from Infinite. What are they doing here? How do they know where I live? This must be about Woohyun. Oh my god Woohyun.

            “Is he alright? Please tell me he is okay,” Sunny insisted down at them. Because she was leaning forward her eyeglasses fell off her face and plummeted down to the idols below. Dongwoo caught them with a chuckle.

            “I believe we found her. I kind of think I like her already,” Dongwoo said not so quietly to Julia.

            “Can we come in and talk to you?” Julia asked. Sun Hee looked with her now blurred vision and saw how people on the street seemed to be watching them. She quickly brought her head back into the house, accidently hitting it hard on the way, before she ran to let them in.

 

 

            “This is a lovely home,” Julia said good naturedly. Judging by their behavior Sunny got the hunch that Woohyun wasn’t dead or paralyzed or something. Sunny breathed a sigh of relief. But why are they here?

            “T-thank you,” she stammered like an idiot. They didn’t seem surprised as they stared openly into her face. “I’m just staying here with a friend though. I can’t take credit.”

            She led them to a sitting room. Dongwoo didn’t hesitate to jump onto the couch and make himself comfortable. He looked really tired. He patted the seat next to him with a little grin and Julia rolled her eyes before sitting right next to him even though there was a lot of space on the couch.

            “Are you going to sit Sunny,” Dongwoo asked with a polite smile. His smiles weren’t as bright as usual though. Sunny wasn’t sure though if maybe this was just the way he was when he wasn’t on camera.

            She grabbed a chair and sat across from them. For some reason she found herself sitting in an interview position. Her back was rigid, her feet close together, and her hands rested on her lap. She was nervous like she was being interviewed too. Her legs started bouncing with nerves and she punched them with irritation.

            When she looked back to Julia and Dongwoo their eyes were slightly wide. Dongwoo was grinning.

            “Is it weird that I totally understand him now,” Dongwoo said to Julia. “She kind of reminds me of you.”

            She gave him a glare and he went back to meeting Sunny’s eyes with a smile.

            “Sunny how old are you?” Julia asked as she leaned forward. She had a business face on that oddly calmed Sunny instead of making her more anxious.

            “I’ll be 20 in a few months,” she answered levelly. She still couldn’t believe they were here and she was trying to seem normal and sane.

            “Okay that’s good. I was a little worried because you seem young,” Julia said with a nervous chuckle.

            “She is just sweet and adorable like you are noona,” Dongwoo explained nonchalantly. Sunny blushed and Julia wacked him in the leg.

            “You must be wondering why we are here,” Julia continued.

            “Yes I am.”

            “Okay this is all going to sound a little crazy. I still can hardly believe it myself, but our Woohyun… after the accident… he is now suffering from amnesia.”

            Sunny could not suppress her gasp. She brought her hands over her agape mouth quickly. The motion nearly knocked her glasses off again.

            “There is more Sunny. Are you still with me,” Julia asked and waited for Sunny’s stunned nod before she continued. “He has forgotten our band entirely. He had been very withdrawn lately because we have all been very happy and many of us are in love. It would seem he couldn’t handle it anymore and his brain just kind of blocked us out.”

            “I’m so sorry,” Sunny cried. “This is all my fault. I’m so stupid. I was being stupid. Who steps into the road on a dark rainy night? I do, because I don’t think. I’m so sorry.”

            “Oh Sunny please don’t cry,” Julia said as she got up and hugged her where she sat. Sunny was too upset to even be shocked by the fact that Julia was touching her. “Don’t blame yourself. This wasn’t because of you.”

            Julia wiped her tears quickly before returning to her seat. Sunny tried to collect herself.

            “The reason why we came here today to find you is that Woohyun still remembers you,” she said carefully.

            “He remembers me?” she sniffled loudly. This made no sense. He doesn’t remember his band mates, but he remembers a fan he just met. “I’m just a fan.”

            “You are more than that to him,” Julia said before collecting a deep breath. “He believes that you are his girlfriend.”

            Sunny blinked at them a moment as they waited for her reaction.

            “What?”

            “Woohyun remembers you and he thinks that you two were dating,” she repeated. “He has been wanting a girlfriend for a long time and the doctor thinks that this had an effect on his memory. As far as he is concerned he stepped out in front of that car to save his girlfriend not just some fan.”

            “Although,” Dongwoo jumped in looking thoughtful. “I do have a feeling that maybe Woohyun would step in front of a car for any fan. He is a really good guy,” Dongwoo added with a grin as if he was selling Woohyun to her.

            Julia just rolled her eyes before looking back to Sunny.

            “Sunny we came here today to ask for your help.”

            “H-how? I’ll help anyway I can,” she said eagerly.

            “Woohyun will be coming home to live with us soon, but he doesn’t know us. He is very confused and lonely. Would you perhaps consider staying with us for awhile? Until he gets better?”

            “You are asking me to live with you?” Sunny couldn’t take any more surprises. She wasn’t sure she could take one more word. Everything was wrong.

            “Yes, just until Woohyun gets his memory back. He really cares about you and he doesn’t know any of us. I just want him to be comfortable and I’m afraid if we didn’t find you he would just wander around looking for you himself.”

            “But he thinks I’m his girlfriend…”

            Julia and Dongwoo just nodded with worried expressions on their faces.

            “You didn’t tell him that isn’t true?”

            “We tried, but he didn’t believe us. I’m not asking you to come home with us and be all lovey with him. I just want him to have a familiar face around so he won’t be scared and lonely. You can tell him that you just met each other recently. I think he will believe what you tell him.”

            “Shouldn’t I tell him the truth?”

            Julia’s legs were the ones shaking now and she bit down on her lip as she tried to hold back tears. Sunny could see how much her heart was breaking over the whole situation. Dongwoo put his arm over her shoulders and gave them a squeeze. With just that little support she managed to collect herself.

            “I don’t want to lie,” she said quietly. “But just please try not to hurt him. He is already so damaged. I don’t know what it would do to him.”

            Sunny felt a chill run down her spine as she looked into Julia’s frightened eyes. She was beginning to wonder who was more lost here Woohyun or Julia.

            The truth was as crazy as the situation was and as messed up as Julia’s plan may be; Sunny understood. He put his life at risk to save me. If Julia thinks this is what is best for him…

            “Okay. I’ll do it.”  

 

 

A/N - oh btw 8finite readers I started a new story about Infinite as "mental" patients if you want to check it out. That is if you haven't found it already. Its nothing like 8finite though lol. Its going to be dark at times and possibly twisted. Here is the link if you want it. People seem to like it so far so I'm jazzed lol... End of shameless self promotion.

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/295847/infinite-revival-dongwoo-drama-hoya-infinite-sunggyu-woohyun-myungjong