2 Years Delayed

Smiling Heart (Working Title)

"Yoboseo?"

"Yah! why weren't you answering my calls?! are you ignoring me?!"

"I was busy."

"You're not even sorry"

"I said I was busy"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The morning sun greeted me with its sunny vigor. I sat up and dragged my feet up to close the curtains. I can't remember that I slept. Is there a sleep amnesia?

I can not forget it, that Smiling Heart. I've seen it before, drawn poorly in every letters, books and even carved on my desk. The uneven curves of the heart, 2 arcs of eyes and a small U shaped smile. I made it for him, it was my heart. He, that always made fun of that heart, stamped it to everything he and I owned. My eyes unconsciously lingered to the table. The smiling heart was peeping, reminding me of him.

My phone rang reeling me back to reality. I dug through the covers and found an uregistered number calling my phone

"Yoboseo?" it sounded like a croak. Mornings.

"Is this Kwon Hae Ra-ssi?" the voice, a male asked

"Ne, Who is this?"

"We're from Express Track, we apologize for the delay of the delivery.."

"Oh but I didn't buy anything.." Then it hit me, My brother must have bought something at Gmarket. again

"Yes, I think I did, I'm sorry I forgot, what's the parcel again?"

"It wasn't declared ma'am, that's why it was delayed. But safe to say it's not dangerous. We ran it through the machine. We usually have the sender declare the content for safety purposes but apparently this one is not."

Omo! that Hae Jin must be out of his mind. I sighed, Hae Jin's gonna get it later

"Are you still there?

I answered back "Thank you ahjuhssi but when will it arrive?"

"Today, it will be there in 30 minutes"

"Wow, that was fast. Thank you"

"It's a priority, we actually had it 5 days ago but since we did some searching without opening the box, it took a while. please wait for it. Thank you and we, again apologize for the delay."

It's 8:15 on a saturday morning and Kwon Hae Jin never failed to make me worry. Born 2 minutes and 15 seconds ahead of me was Kwon Hae Jin, the smart-extrovert-fun guy whom everyone loves. Though older, he's more of a maknae than an oppa. He still uses aegyo to find his way out to almost anything, be it getting away from punishments or asking Umma for more money. Despite all of this, I'm still grateful he's my twin. His easy, outgoing nature complimented my reserved and quiet personality. Growing up, it was only me, appa and umma. But for him, it was forever expanding. Needless to say, everyone in the neighborhood and school knows him--I even get banana milk from San Hee Imo at the cafeteria for free. And if it wasn't for that friendly attitude I wouldn't have met him.

 

Jong Hyun.

 

FLASHBACK

Sophomore year, high school

"I told you it wasn't me that left the fridge open!" Hae Jin said almost shouting. I mentally pictured myself strangling him. The parentals were in Busan for the week and arrived that morning. The shouts of Mrs Kim Jeong Won woke up the beejezus out of me. 

"But I didn't leave my room last night. You're the only one who had dinner!" I huffed quickening my pace, class starts in 10 minutes. We barely left the house alive, only saved by appa announcing we were late for school. "I will deal with you two later!" Umma said, trying to steady her self to a now frozen kitchen floor

So, here we are, blaming each other while running

Hae Jin took big steps, almost running, leaving me behind. We were about to cross the street, the street light blinked WALK. Oh no. Hae Jin already got to the other side. "Pppallliiiiiii!!" He shouted, he stomped his foot in annoyance. I pushed my leg harder and started to run filling my lungs with air and focused on reaching Hae Jin. I looked at Hae Jin, his face distorted. He was saying something but I can not seem to make it. I was so focused that I didn't notice DON'T WALK on its bold red colors glaring at me, or the people behind me were shouting. From my periphery I can see the cars nearing but my legs seemed rooted in its place. I looked at Hae Jin's pale face. This is it.

A strong force knocked me down to the gutter, sparing me from death. The car zoomed by and I heard the driver shouting curses at me.
"Kwenchanayo?" He asked. My eyes were still closed. I felt him beside me, his arms propping me up. I opened my eyes and blinked the tears away.

Hae Jin was already at my side screaming, I swear he's almost crying.

"WHAT THE HELL HAE RA!"

We stood there bumping at others who were walking.

I tried to suppress the feelings inside me. I cleared my throat before I spoke "I.. I'm sorry okay."

"DIDN' T YOU SEE THE SIGN? HAVE YOU GONE BLIND AND STUPID? YOU WERE ALMOST HIT HAE RA" I looked at him, his face red. If The Hulk was green, Kwon Hae Jin is red.

I almost choked up. I turned away and started to walk. "I'm alive, why should I be apologizing?! it's not like I did that on purpose!" 

I quickened my pace and reached the gates of the school. It was the first time I saw him mad like that. It scared me, but at the same time it's pissing me. I glanced at my clock, 3 minutes. I heard foot steps behind me. I picked up the pace so I don't get to walk with him. "Damn you!". Foot steps grew louder and I can feel him nearing. "It's your fault Hae Ra. He was just worried, you almost died." My feet skidded to a stop. I felt his chest hitting my back.

"AISH! KWON HAE JIN YOU BETTER.." words got caught in my mouth. it wasn't Hae Jin

He was clutching his chest, his face in shades of pink. "Ah.. Im Sorry" he bowed, embarassed he bowed again "I was gonna ask if you were okay."

"I.." I started. "Speak! Kwon Hae Ra just speaaaaaaak"

"Omo, I think it's trauma. are you okay?" he inquired. His big brown eyes scanned me from head to toe. " I'm sorry I think I pulled too hard, I panicked when I saw that you weren't moving"

Just then, Hae Jin came with 2 banana milk on his hands. His face washed with worry "Oh, what is this?"

"Nothing, let's go" I said, as if the words rolled off my tongue. The presence of Hae Jin seemed to make activate my voice box.

"Wait, is this how you repay your savior?" my brother's tone sounded playful, wiggling his eyebrows. I know that tone. It's the egging tone. I shot him with a WE'RE GOING TO BE LATE LOOK AND WE DONT HAVE TIME FOR A CHIT-CHAT LOOK. We perfected the ESP thing and he got my message. But he still didn't give up

"In behalf of my sister, I am thanking you for saving her life" he bowed. Embarrased, my savior chuckled

"Oh no, please. If you're me you would have done the same thing" He then looked at me, I get to look at his face. Those big brown eyes, straight nose and  lips curved into a smile. the face that will be burned in my head for the longest time. Still avoiding his gaze, I bowed at him "Ko..komawo. for saving me"

Hae Jin smiled, like a trainer to a dog who's learned a trick. He then patted my head and handed me my milk. "Aigoo, very good."

He tossed the other one at him, his face puzzled. "Is this for me?"

"Sure, as a thanks! I'm Kwon Hae Jin by the way. you must be new here right?"

"I'm Lee Jong Hyun, sophomore, please take care of me."

Hae Jin's smile widened "Omo! we're sophomores too! sister, have you forgotten how to talk?" I sent him death glares. This was one of his ways to let me talk, as he puts it "come out of my shell"

"Annyeonghasseyeo, Kwon Hae Ra-imnida, sophomore as well. let's have good year." I almost bit my tongue. "Let's have a good year?!" I heard Hae Jin snort

Jong Hyun's teeth gleamed, smiling so big that found myself drawn to it. I shook my head and started to walk. I could feel  him staring at my back. Hae Jin's voice dimmed at the background. All I can hear was a loud thumping noise. I scanned the place to see if there's a repair going on. nothing. I held my chest tight and counted 3 deep breaths. It stopped.

 

Little did I know, there were many deep breaths I have made with Jong Hyun.

 

FLASHBACK ENDS.

 

The doorbell buzzed. I bolted out of the room and rushed to the door. Signing the form and thanked the delivery guy, he then picks up a medium sized box.It was heavy and something seemed to move. Panicked, I called Hae Jin.

"Yah! what did you buy this time huh?"

"What?"

"Have you been online shopping again?"

"No! and could you please not call me, I'm in the classroom"

"It's not like your class has started. anyway, there's this box that arrived today under my name."

"So?"

"What, are you saying this is not yours?"

"No!" He replied, sounding annoyed

"Don't you lie to me Kwon Hae Jin because this parcel was undeclared! Do you know that? what if there's a bomb or drugs in here?!" My voice raised on an "irritated" octave

"Jinjja! I swear on Sangdeuk's grave" Sangdeuk was our dog when we were little, he passed away due to old age. Umma had us say that if it's the truth, real truth, we swear on Sangdeuk's grave instead of hers.

"If I open I this all the contents will be mine, arasseo?"

"Whatever, oh, Kim-saem is here. i'm out!" He hunged up

"Augh!"

The box stood there in the living room, beckoning me to open it. A part of me wants to but the other wants to run. What if it's a bomb? or worse, a dead body?  something moved inside as I kicked it. But the delivery company said it's safe. If they've done an x-ray they'll detect if its a metal or bones. I closed my eyes and prayed that I can not die today. Slowly, I cut through the tapes that sealed the flaps.

This is it.

I remember the time when I was almost hit by a car, the day when Jong Hyun saved my life. I said those words thinking I was going to die.

This. I pulled the one flap up, slowly, I might trigger whatever is inside. It. I pulled the other flap.

Like that time, a strong force knocked me down, only this time, No Jong Hyun pulling me and helping me stand up

Before me was the box containing every memory of Jong Hyun..

It was the banana milk that rattled when I kicked the box.