Chapter Eight

You and Me: We're Dorm Buddies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Who said that girls are the most troublesome, plain difficult or just about burdensome when it comes to handling the simplest matters in life? Just like making decisions. Like how boys would fuss over girls being in between their choices of shoes and pretty dresses, when they are no different. Take this as a living example.

We’re doing grocery shopping to stock up on our daily necessities and these bunch of dorks were no better.

“Come on! Cheese and onion potato chips. We bought barbeque the other time!” Sungyeol protested, Woohyun on the other aisle, has his hands in a ready position to attack the barbequed-flavored chips.

“You ate every single bit of that potato chips!” Woohyun scowled, shoving that bag of his choice into the shopping trolley. “Right down to the flakes. Was it good? Oh, I don’t know. I didn’t even get the chance to eat it!” He rolled his eyes in immense sarcasm, throwing another bag into the piling trolley.

“Oh. It was hella-good!” Sungyeol smirked, chuckling as the four of us walked around the aisles of the neighborhood’s supermarket.

Woohyun messed up his hair in defeat. I stifled a laugh while briefly looking through the variety of snacks and convenience food in the store. Myungsoo was strolling right behind, hands placed in his black hoodie’s pocket. That boy has been a tough nutshell to break through.

I stared at the ramen noodles on the shelf, looking for my favourite brand.

“Niel, do you want ice cream?!” Sungyeol shrieked from the frozen product’s area. His hands were tapping on the ice cream's tubes. I nodded with a smile but Sungyeol was already set on his favourite flavor. He bubbled in his own world, filling up the trolley with that heavenly yet sinfully good ice cream. Who doesn’t have a soft spot for ice cream? Even badass Park In-Na turned soft for this.

Chocolate fudge, cookie dough and brownie mix, double chocolate and more chocolate.

“Dude, do we even have the space to accommodate all of these?” I stated, rather worried. Eight tub of ice cream with heavy chunks of toppings. Are we born as gluttons or what?

“Who said that we weren’t going to eat it all today?” Sungyeol wriggled his eyebrows. A small smirk took control of my lips.

“We’re going to get fat. Coach is going to kill us if he ever finds out. We have soccer practice at two this afternoon!" Woohyun whined dramatically, however, pulling in more chocolate cookies into the trolley. “You, Niel, don’t you go around telling the coach about this." He spun around, threatening me with that mischievious smile.

I nodded, putting my hands into my jeans pocket. “Like that’s the first thing I would do to you.”

For that moment of time, I swore that I caught a grin fleeting on Myungsoo’s face. I waived it off, walking towards the other aisle.
 


Since we were in the supermarket, I thought about stocking up on things like my manly-scented deodorant, disposable shavers and just about anything to make me survive in this Park Niel’s character. To my utmost surprise, I was slowly getting a hang of it. It has been a week since my enrolment, and there have been some improvements. Enjoying it? It hasn’t been all fun and games, but I have been working hard in getting that impressive review from Woollim’s head office.

No pranks, no talkbacks and definitely too-focused in living up to the role of being a hardcore nerd.

I still hated my roommates, and I wanted to draw these lines of indifference around me, be distant towards them - just so that the boys wouldn’t bury deeper into my personality. I didn’t want to get to know them. It’s better this way, wouldn’t it? I wasn’t going to fall in love with any of the boys.

“I think you will grow to like them one day, In-Na.” L.Joe teased, seeing that I have been spending an awful lot of time with the trio. Not that I was keen in being friends with them.

My eyebrows knitted into a frown, “Yeah, like that’s going to happen.”

“When you’re around someone for too long, you might just grow attached to them – you know. Knowing his likes and dislikes even without you actually realizing it-” he trailed with his words, trying to enforce this idea that I would fall for one of my roommates.

I shrugged it away, insisting that this was just a phase that I have to go through. An intoxicating, very absurd plan just to make the broken pieces fall into place. I shook that strong memory away from me, pulling myself together.

My hands were on the sanitary pads (because us, girls are meant to suffer for a whole week), before someone had to intrude. Given that the trio were already paying at the counter, I thought that I will be able to sneak in some personal girls’ stuff to my own basket.

Clearly, my idea backfired.

“Are you done with your shopping, Niel?” Sungyeol broke my chains of thoughts. He was hollering from the other side of the supermarket. That boy is too loud for his own good. Onlookers were practically scowling at the deafening scream.

My grip loosened on the box of necessity. I screamed back in response. “Coming!”

I heaved a sigh of defeat. I’ll purchase that thing another time. It better be soon because I have a raging, uncontrollable appetite seeing that I will be able to finish the entire box of chocolate-fudge ice cream on my own. I see that. Park In-Na and a tub of ice cream – the thought. The magical thought.

Sungyeol randomly asked. His lips were quivering. “Were you looking at – white bread, Niel?”

“I was passing by,” I replied short. That boy has eagle-eyed stamped all over him. I might need to be more wary of my actions.

“For a moment, I thought that you needed them.” Woohyun raised a quizzical eyebrow.

Man, too warm. Too, too, warm.

 


We have hands to hold, so it gets hard to let people go. I thought about the girls’ soccer team back in Seoul High, by how it has been hard on them to chase after their dreams. I didn’t mention to them about my departure from the school.

Every single one of them figured that the school has sent me out for character’s improvement classes, disciplinary school or just about anything to shape on my delinquent-coated deeds for the entire semester. They didn’t figure out on the part where I have to be a boy, just to put it all back together.

I had my nose peered into a book on achievers, casually walking into my dormitory’s room. The boys must have left for soccer practice. The room, tremendously quiet with no incessant chatters. I focused solely on the article, not giving a care about my surrounding when –

That Kim freaking Myungsoo appeared right out of nowhere with nothing but his pair of boxers. My eyes were quick to catch on t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter