Angel Without Wings

Angel Without Wings
 
" These are the few person who are chosen to go on a student exchange program to Korea next month. I will now read out their names. Chloe, Sarah, Michael, John, Tze Kai,  Rebecca, Christine, Sammy, Zacky and Michelle ! " said Mrs. Saunders in Biology class last month.
 
I could still remember how 'happy' I was when my name was called by my strict yet caring Biology teacher. Being able to go to Korea was any KPop fangirls ultimate dream. Fangirls go wild when they heard news of their idols on TV. Fangirls shout their hearts out when they meet up with their idols in fan meetings. I, on the other hand, couldn't understand why KPop is so popular here in my country. I felt that people must have been crazy to go screaming about some certain korean artist whose name I can't recall. Oh, yeah, there's one.. what was his name again ? Ohh.. right, some guy with the name Micky YooChun. I don't even know what this guy do best, but I always see people.. fangirls I would say, shouting their head out when this guy came on TV. Little did I know that my trip in Korea was going to make me see things differently in life.
 
One month had passed by. It was the day of my flight to Korea. All my classmates who were chosen to go on this trip with me were estatic. Most of them were too excited to even stand properly. As for me, I was the only one who didn't join in the madness with them. Our flight took off at 9.45 pm sharp. The trip in the plane wasn't really interesting, I end up throwing up my dinner on the plane. I knew it, I was already homesick.
 
We reached the Korean International Airport early in the morning the next day. Upon reaching, we were assigned to our new host families. I was assigned to a family of five. Mr. Kim, the head of the family was very friendly and he spoke excellent English too. I was really amazed to see them speaking English. He told me not to worry and make myself at home. I could see that they were really very very polite people. Mrs. Kim even told me this " I will treat you like my daughter for these few months which you will be staying with us. So if there's any problems, you can always come to me. Okay ?  Oh right, you can call me omma, if you like to ! " She gave me the sweetest smile ever.

Mr. Kim or should I say appa then continued to show me around the house. He introduced me to my siblings too. I am so happy to have an elder brother and two younger sisters. Mr. Kim said " This is your older brother, Jung Hyun or you can called him oppa. And these two are Yuna and Yuri.. they are twins. They are much younger then you so they are your dongsaengs ! " I smiled at all of them and adressed them properly by calling them oppa and dongsaeng. After that, Jung Hyun oppa brought me to my room. He said " It's nice to meet you, Michelle dongsaeng ! I hope we can get along well from now. " He left me in my room after that so that I could do some tidying up.
 
The next day, I was supposed to attend school with Jung Hyun oppa and also my twin dongsaengs, Yuna and Yuri. We walked to school. It's was at least a 10 minutes walk from our house. Upon reaching school, I followed Jung Hyun oppa closely, hoping that he would lead me to my classroom. On our way to my classrooms, we met Jung Hyun oppa's classmate. When I looked at oppa's classmates, I swear I didn't know what to do. He was so perfect. His face was pale white, flawless and his smile was the most charming smile I have ever seen. I was dumbfounded. I just stared straight into his beautiful face.
 
" Michelle, you alright there ? " Jung Hyun oppa called out to me. " Uhhhh, yeah.... yeah, I'm fine I think ? " I replied still shocked. " Michelle, I want you to meet my friend, Song Joong Ki ! He's in my class, he's pretty ain't he ? " said Jung Hyun oppa jokingly. Jung Hyun oppa continued to introduced his perfect looking friend to me. 
 
" Annyeong haseyo, I am Song Joong Ki. It's really nice to meet you, emmmm... Michelle ! " said that handsome guy to me. He tried to shake hands with me. I looked into his eyes and I raised my hand shakily to shake his white beautiful hands. " I am Michelle, it's nice to meet you too.. Joong Ki oppa ! " I said softly. I went into my classroom after that. I wasn't concentrating on the topics that were taught by the teachers there. All the time, I kept thinking about that young handsome guy just now. I was feeling so confused and agitated. I tried to shake the thoughts away. " Aww, Michelle you were supposed to study not to look at some Korean guy ? " I kept telling myself that.
 
I went home after school that day. As I was sitting on the bed in my room, suddenly Jung Hyun oppa opened the door and said " Can we have a little talk ? I have things that I need to talk to you about. " I looked at him for a while and finally I said " Okay, we will talk. What do you need to talk to me about ? " Jung Hyun oppa was looking at me seriously and he said " You know the guy you met today ? My classmate, Joong Ki ? " My eyes lit up, but I tried to remain cool and I said " Yeah, Joong Ki oppa. What about him ? " Jung Hyun oppa then looked at me uneasily and he sighed. I asked him again what was the problem. Then he finally said " Well, after you went into your classroom, he told me that you are an interesting girl. He wanted me to ask you if it was okay for you to hang out with him sometimes. " Jung Hyun oppa bit his lips as he waited for me to reply him.
 
I looked at Jung Hyun oppa's face for a very long time. He must have thought that he had scared me because he was starting to worry. " Michelle, you okay ? I am sorry I asked, I will tell him you said no then ! Is that okay with you ? " asked Jung Hyun oppa with concern. I finally said " Well, I will hang out with him. It's okay, I would like to know him more too. Tell him to find me whenever he wants to. " Then I gave Jung Hyun oppa the widest smile I had ever given anybody.
 
The next day during break time in school, Joong Ki oppa came to find me. " Hello Michelle, is it okay if we meet up after school today ? " he asked politely. I think I could just melt right in front of him at the exact moment. His smile was the killer I think. I was barely able to reply to him but I managed to say " Okay, I will see you after school then. "  He smiled and asked for my number. I gladly gave my number to him. I felt the most wonderful sensation I had ever felt in the whole of my 17 years being born. The feeling of happiness was just awesome.
 
After school,  I got home straight and quickly changed into a pair of T-shirt and long jeans. Just as I finished changing, I received a call from Joong Ki oppa. " Annyeong, you ready ? I am outside your house. " he said in a happy tone. I smiled upon listening to his voice and I said " I will be down in a minute. See you outside ! " When I saw him outside my house, I swear he was just perfect. I don't think I will be able to meet someone as perfect as him in my life. He was just like an angel without wings. 
 
We went around Seoul. He showed me many famous landmarks in Korea. I was really happy and I really appreciate that I had actually met a guy who is handsome yet kind. He was truly a perfect guy, my angel in disguise. I spent the whole afternoon out with him. Little did I realize that I was actually falling in love with him. During dinner, he brought me to a restaurant in the center of Seoul. We ate steak for dinner. He was really a gentleman, the way he talks and addresses people around him just shows that he is a really polite young guy.
 
Joong Ki oppa then asked me a question. " Michelle, will you be my girlfriend ? I started to like you since the first day you stepped into our school. I didn't know that I would love you this much. Saranghaeyo ! " he said sweetly and gently. My jaw dropped opened. I can't believe the guy that I barely know and actually had feelings for was asking me to be his girlfriend. " You can reject me though. If you think I am not up to your standards. " said Joong Ki oppa to me. Finally, I tried to be brave and I finally had enough guts to tell him that I liked him too. " Joong Ki oppa, I have only known you for two days. It's like a really short time but I, too liked you a lot Joong Ki oppa. But I am only here for two months, after that I will be flying back to my country. I would love to be your girlfriend for I love you too but I am worried about our time together. "
 
Joong Ki oppa nodded his head and then he finally said " We could try it out though. After two months, if our feelings are still strong, distance isn't the matter anymore. We could always get in touch and we could be together again after college. Don't you think so too ? "  I nodded my head and I said " Okay, we will give our relationship a try. "
 
The two months I spent in Korea was really awesome. Joong Ki oppa was there for me always. Whenever I have problems, I go to him. We spent our two months together everyday. He would bring me to many different places each day. We would chat and talk and have so much fun. I had never experience such a wonderful life with anyone before. It was just him, Joong Ki oppa. My angel without wings, my angel in disguise.
 
Time passed by. Soon, my two months were finally over. On the last night of my stay in Korea, I called Joong Ki oppa on the phone. I said to him on the phone " Annyeong, Joong Ki oppa. It's already my last night here. I will be leaving Korea tomorrow morning at 9 am sharp. I just want to tell you that I appreciate all that you have given to me these two months. My love for you and my relationship with you is one memory that I will never forget. Thank you for being next to me, loving me and showing me that I am the happiest person on earth. I really.... " My speech was cut by the hushing sound from Joong Ki oppa. " Shhh, I don't want to know this. I hate to know this. I hate to know that I won't be seeing you anymore after tomorrow. We said this before, if our feelings are strong, distances isn't the matter. We could always continue to see each other when we enter college together. So don't tell me things like as if we were to be separated forever. I beg you, please don't. " said Joong Ki oppa loudly through the phone. Tears streamed down my face. My heart ached like it never ached before. " Okay, I won't say it anymore. I will see you tomorrow at the airport. Have a good night ! " I said before slamming my handphone hard.

I cried myself to sleep that night. I barely slept as I was crying the whole night thinking about him. The next day at the airport, I looked like a total brat ! My eyes were all puffy and red from crying. My friends were shocked to see me. " What did you do these two months that caused you to cry so much on the eve of our flight back home ? " asked Christine, one of my friends. I wasn't really into the mood of talking to any of them. The clock was already showing 8.45 am and I was thinking whether he would come to say goodbye to me.
 
I was beginning to lose hope when suddenly I saw him, running towards me. I was in the midst of crying but I managed to put on a smile on my face. " I am sorry, I am a little bit late. You were crying weren't you ? You thought that I had forgotten and would never had come, didn't you ? " asked Joong Ki oppa. I said " Nope, I wasn't. I was just still sad to hear what you said to me yesterday. Knowing that I have to be away from you now, knowing that I love you so much that I can't bear to leave without you. It hurts me so much inside. " Tears were still streaming down my face. I didn't say anything and he planted a kiss on my lips. I didn't care if there were people who were watching, I just let him kiss me because I knew I would do the same thing too.
 
Finally, the clock struck 9 am. I heard the announcement made by the airline company. It was time to say goodbye. Although, I really didn't want to leave him, but I had to. " Saranghaeyo, Joong Ki oppa. I will miss you ! " those were my last words to him. He smiled and said " Saranghaeyo, Michelle. I will miss you so much too ! " With that, I left the waiting area of the airport and I was off to board the plane. " So that's what you're up to eh ? I see you got yourself a Korean boyfriend ! " teased Christine. I didn't bother to even answer her as I wasn't really sure how I was actually feeling at that moment.

A year passed by just like that. I still thought about Joong Ki oppa once in a while. But he seems more like a dream rather than a wonderful memory to me. Sometimes, I would still hear his voice encouraging me to go through all the obstacles in life. I hope he is coping well with life too. I'm sure he would be because he has always been my one and only angel without wings. He was always there to support me and guide me through life. I often looked out the window and imagined that he was there waiting for me.
 
A few months later, I was coping quite well with my life already. One day, I switched on the television and I was shocked to see that Joong Ki oppa was on television. He had became a famous actor and he's also a professional MC now. I was really proud of him as I know he was really coping well with his life. He is currently filming a Korean drama with the name Obstetrics and Gynocology Doctor. Oh, I know he would make a good doctor. He is getting more popular each day and I am glad that he's doing well. As for me, I am also doing quite well in life too.
 
Now, I love looking into the skies above. They always reminds me of my guardian angel, the angel without wings. Saranghaeyo, Joong Ki oppa ! Thank you for being a part of my life.