Final

A Dragon's Only Wish

*whistle*

 

 

“…”

 

 

*whistle*

 

 

“…”

 

 

“I’m pathetic.” Sitting down on the frigid ground, Jiyong placed his head on his hand and shut his eyes. This silence is suffocating… and he began singing a continuation of the song he was whistling not moments before.

 

 

*rustle*

 

 

At the noise he stopped and whipped his head to stare at a girl coming towards him. She has a small, petite figure with white, clean skin. Her eyes seemed to be brown and her hair a lighter shade of brown as well, but in the gloom of the building it was hard to tell. As she came closer Jiyong noticed that she had a bag slung over her shoulder.

 

“Hello? I thought I heard singing...” finally she caught sight of him and made her way towards him. “Excuuuuuuuuse me!”

 

 

“Yes?” Jiyong got up and looked at the woman curiously. How long has it been since I last spoke to someone other than the silence.

 

 

“Oh! Im Dara” she stretched out a hand, “I got lost coming from town and I never thought that anybody would be here!” Noticing her hand was being ignored she quickly took it back. “I was wondering if you could possibly help me?”

 

 

Chuckling, Jiyong drew closer to Dara until there was only a few feet in between them. “Well I’m sorry Dara, but you’re out of luck,” turning serious, “If I could leave this place I would have done it a long time ago.” Smirking he turned around and found his place on the ground.

 

 

“What?” looking more closely at him Dara realized that he wasn’t… exactly normal.

 

 

Bright crimson red hair, pale skin, and changing iridescent eyes of gold, amber, and topaz aren’t exactly the traits of a normal human.

 

 

“Wait…,” taking a step away from him, Dara brought her hand up to her face, “you couldn’t possibly be… a…”

 

Still grinning Jiyong spread out his arms, “yes! I am a Dragon. Why do you seem so surprised? There should be many who are like me.”

 

 

Looking at him in wonder Dara could only shake her head in response. “You’re only supposed to exist in fairy tales.

 

“…what…?” Dropping his arms to his sides Jiyong stared at her. “You’re lying… that can’t be true!” He began pacing back and forth slowly at first, but he picked up the pace as he continued thinking, “how long exactly have I been stuck in this place?!” he muttered more to himself than to Dara. He turned, stalked towards Dara, and stopped a few feet in front of her, “What year is it human?”

 

 

“Year 561 by the Marcusian calendar.”

 

 

“WHAT?!” wearing a surprised and distressed expression Jiyong stood frozen in his spot. After a few minutes Dara drew closer, and gasped. Is he crying…?

 

 

Tears ran unbidden across Jiyongs pale face and onto the frigid ground; finally the dragon crumpled to the ground. “Four centuries… four! Gone! Time I can never get back. My friends are gone, who knows about my family, and even my home…! All that’s left is a legacy; legend that may not even be true…”

 

 

Looking up into Dara’s worried expression Jiyong smiled a lonely smile and asked, “tell me, what is your world like? Since mine is apparently gone.”

 

 

Slightly taken aback Dara sat in silence for a few minutes. “Are you sure you aren’t trying to trick me?”

 

 

“Hahahaha! If I had the energy or will to trick then I would have done it already.” Rearranging himself into a more comfortable crossed legged position Jiyong stared at Dara as he cleaned face.

 

 

“So?” raising an eybrow, “tell me.”

 

 

Hesitantly she took a seat a distance away from him, but still within hearing range. “That’s kind of a vague question. What exactly would you like to hear about?”

 

 

Contemplating the question; Jiyong tilted his head to the side. “What about your home. I think I’d like to hear about where you came from.” Grinning he leaned in, “you have a very interesting scent. Oranges, bread, and aged paper. Did you know that?”

 

 

 

Blushing she crossed her arms and glared at the red headed man. “No! Of course I wouldn’t know how I smell!” she wrapped her arms around her knees, “I suppose the orange smell comes from the small orange grove I have in my yard.” She smiled fondly at nothing in particular. “I started the grove with my younger sister since she loved the smell of the blossoms in the spring…” Shaking her head she kept going, “I’m working at a bakery right now so I can afford her medicine because she’s sick. Otherwise I’d be a scholar, but nowadays that doesn’t really bring in much money since they aren’t really in demand at the moment.”

 

 

“So you have a younger sister.” Looking up, Dara saw Jiyong nodding to himself, “I had younger siblings as well, but I guess we never got along as well as you and your sister.” Smiling ruefully, he played with the dirt. “It was always a competition between us over who was the favorite because the favorite had the most freedom.”

 

 

“…”

 

 

“Well it doesn’t really matter now since they aren’t here anymore.”

 

 

“…I want to know about your home!” Dara piped up all of a sudden.

 

 

“What?”

 

 

“Yeah I wanna hear about you as well. I mean you’re interesting, and it isn’t everyday that I get to talk to an imaginary creature,” she said with shining eyes and an excited smile.

 

 

“…but there really isn’t much to talk about…”

 

 

“Oh come on! Please? I told you about me so you should do the same.” Puffing up her cheeks she crossed her arms over her chest, “otherwise I’m leaving!”

 

 

“Wait! Don’t leave! I’ll tell you so don’t leave me here alone…” he sighed in defeat. “Okay so my home… well there was barely any light, and it was always blistering hot. Except in our small home…” He closed his eyes and enveloped himself in a memory. “Except in the house where my mother always made sure it was just right so we were all comfortable. She was quite the home maker, and not to mention beautiful.” Chuckling his looked at Dara, “they used to tell me that I favored her side of the family.” He continued in a monotone, “my father was never kind to me, and my brothers didn’t care much for me. Remember it was always a competition. That’s it. Not much to it.”

 

 

“…”

 

 

“Nothing to say?”

 

 

“What are you doing here? How did you get stuck here?”

 

 

Jiyong raised an eyebrow at the sudden change in conversation, but nonetheless answered, “…It happened so long ago that it doesn’t even matter anymore.”

 

 

He looked up to the sky, reached with his hand, and grasped at the air. “What I would give to have my freedom back. To be able to move around freely instead of confined to this small space; to listen to the sounds of life instead of the dreadful silence of everyday.

 

 

“There isn’t any way for you to get out?”

 

 

“There is one way…” he looked at Dara through slit eyes. “If I were to give a sacrifice then I would be able to leave this cursed barrier, but there isn’t anything here to give up for sacrifice…unless you are will to give your life…?” She shook her head violently as he chuckled. “Then, dear Dara, there is no hope for me or my freedom.”

 

 

Crawling closer to him, Dara settled down right next to the dragon and spoke. “I’ll get you out. No matter what it takes.” She turned and looked into his eyes. “I’ll free you from this place.”

 

 

Searching her eyes Jiyong stayed silent.

 

 

“Why?”

 

 

“I…really don’t know, but I can’t stand to see you lonely like you were even though I was right there…”

 

 

“Dara…”

 

 

“That’s why I’ll get you out; so you won’t ever have to be alone again.”

 

 

“…how do I know you won’t forget about me?”

 

 

“I guess you’ll just have to trust me.” She got up and started walking towards an exit.

 

 

“Wait!” She stopped. “Promise me you’ll come back.”

 

 

She turned and faced him, “I promise.” With that she left. Only a small figure retreating into the darkness as Jiyong stared after her.

 

 

He laid down; arms and legs spread out and stared at nothing. Am I allowed to hope? One small tear ran down his cheek and to the ground.

 

 

 

 

I know I said I’d get him out, but how exactly am I supposed to do that…? Dara thought as she traversed through the forest not too far from the abandoned building. She stopped and sat down on a stump.

 

 

“Gah! Think, Dara, think!” she pounded her head for answers and sighed heavily. Honestly what am I doing? I barely even know this guy, and on top of that he’s a dragon… it would be so easy to just leave him and try to find my way home.

 

 

“But he’s waiting for me. He trusts me to go back. He didn’t kill me and use me to get out even though there were so many chances… that’s got to mean something.” Not to mentions that just thinking about him get me all fluttery… shaking her head Dara got up and paced the clearing.

 

 

“…well I suppose it doesn’t have to be a dead sacrifice; maybe it can mean an exchange. Like a life for a life. One’s freedom for anothers freedom!” clapping her hands, she grabbed her bag, and set off. I’ve got it! I know exactly how to save him.

 

 

Wait for me, Jiyong.

 

 

 

 

Running through the rubble Dara made her way back to the clearing and found Jiyong on the ground. By the time she got back it was already night time.

 

 

“Jiyong?” the figure moved.

 

 

“Oh, Dara, it’s you…”he stood up.

 

 

“Jiyong, I think I found out how to get you out!”

 

 

“Huh?” he looked at her suspiciously, “are you playing some kind of cruel joke?”

 

 

“Why would I?!” offended Dara clenched her fists. “Can’t you trust me?”

 

 

“…sorry it’s just kind of hard to believe…”

 

 

“It’s okay, I guess I understand.” Moving towards him into the barrier, Dara gave Jiyong her pack, “hold this.” She bent down, and began digging a hole. She kept digging until she was deep enough to see the moisture in the dirt. “There, give me my bag,” she grabbed the bag and took out a small bush like plant. She put the plant into the hole, and began putting soil back into the hole. She leaned back and swiped the sweat off her forehead, “that should do it, okay.” She got up, took her bag from Jiyong, and grabbed his hand.

 

 

“Are you ready?” she looked at him.

 

 

He nodded, “yeah.” She could feel him slightly shaking; I wonder how many times he’s thought about getting out…

 

 

Slowly Dara walked out of what she thought was the edge of the barrier, and gently began tugging on Jiyong.

 

 

Slowly.

 

 

Oh so slowly.

 

 

And suddenly she’s in his arms as he hugs her. The only thing she can do is cling to him as she began to cry into his chest.

 

 

“Haha, silly aren’t I supposed to be the one crying?”

 

 

“Be quiet!…”

 

 

“Thank you,” he hugs her closer, “thank you…”

 

 

He tilted her head so that she was looking up at him he closed the distance between them, and kissed her. Immediately she began pushing him away; more from surprise than anything.

 

 

“What do you think you are doing?!”

 

 

“You didn’t like it?” He snickered at her shocked expression, “well you are the first person I’ve talked to in a long time, plus you’re a girl, and my savior.” Grinning, he grabbed her and pressed her small frame against his. “Naturally I would want to show my thanks, but I don’t have anything worth giving you at the moment, except some fun,” he said as he wiggled his eyebrows mischievously.

 

 

Dara glared at him, and struggled against him, “That’s it!  Get your rude back in that barrier! I just saved you and now you turn into an immoral beast!”

 

 

“Well the beast part is right once you think about it,” he pondered out loud, “but the immoral part was a bit harsh Dara.” He pinched her cheek as he looked at her flustered face. “I’m trying to repay you, and it didn’t seem like you hated it.”

 

 

Finally fighting free from his embrace Dara put space between them. “Ugh! You’re impossible. You can say thank you in a normal way, can’t you?”

 

 

“Yes, but that’s boring.”

 

 

She threw her arms in the air and looked to the sky, “I’m done I can’t keep up with your logic.”

 

 

Faster than a normal human possibly could have gone, Jiyong was suddenly next to her. “So you don’t like me?”

 

 

“What? ...well that isn’t exactly what’s wrong…” she turned away from him, “if anything I like you too much for just meeting you…”

 

 

“Then what’s the problem?”

 

 

“Jiyong, what are you going to do with your freedom?” she asked seriously.

 

 

“I don’t know… my race is gone and even if there are survivors I don’t think I’d want to go with them. Dara, I’m tired. So tired that if I wanted to I probably could go to sleep right now and never wake up.”

 

 

Tears welled up in Dara’s eyes again. “See? I don’t want to fall in love with someone who is going to leave me so soon. And honestly it’s a little too easy to love someone like you, Jiyong.”

 

 

“Huh. Dara, I know I said I’m tired, but I don’t think I’m going anywhere you can’t follow anytime soon. No I think I want to stick around a little while longer. Maybe visit a bakery and buy some bread for a girl who’s sick. I don’t know maybe I’ll stay long enough to see if her sister still hasn’t fallen head over heels for me.”

 

 

“…”

 

 

“Yeah that sounds like a worth-while plan,” he turned his head towards Dara, “what do you think?”

 

 

“Hmmm those are some really specific conditions.” His hand had crept over hers, and gave a light squeeze. “I think I know just the right bakery.” She turned to see him staring at her, smiling lightly.

 

 

“That’s great. I thought I was going to be stuck here forever not knowing what I wanted to do with my life.” Jiyong’s free hand reached up and tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear, “so when are we going to this bakery?” he brought her close to him, but this time Dara didn’t fight; she put her arms around his neck and smiled.

 

 

“You aren’t going to thank me? I think I’m doing a pretty big favor.”

 

 

“Oh you’re right! Thank you for helping find something to do with my life.”

 

 

Pouting Dara pinched his ear. “Well I didn’t know you were a smart-,” she let go of his ear, “no silly thank me properly this time.”

 

 

“Sounds like a plan to me,” he dipped down and lightly kissed her.

 

 

“…”

 

 

“What is it?”

 

 

“How do I know you aren’t tricking me?” Dara whispered softly.

 

 

“I guess you’ll just have to trust me.”

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

A/N: Heeeeeeellllllloooooo~  i bring to you *drumroll* my first daragon fanfic \(^_^)/ sorry if its awkward in any way~ i hope you guys enjoy it nonetheless

till next time, au revoir~!

<3 jizeeru