I Should Start Off By Saying...

I Have a Secret....

I was by my father. Do I have your attention yet?

When I was 4 years old, my mother and father started fighting every day. Exactly one week before my ninth birthday, they were officially divorced. I ended up staying with my father, and every night that week, he'd bring a different man home. He'd introduce me with a smile and the same words everytime.

"Dae, this is _____. He and Daddy are going to play upstairs, be a good boy and watch tv."

Then he and the stranger would exchange lustful glances before going to 'play' up in my father's room. If I had realized my father was gay during that week... maybe things would have been different.

It was the day of my ninth brthday. My father had a "special present for his big boy." He led me upstairs, told me to undress. And before I knew what happened, he was on top of me. He didn't even give me a chance to say "No, Daddy" or "What are you doing, Daddy?" No. On that day, I was . Not only did my father rob me of my ty, but he took my voice. Ever since that cold, dark morning I haven't been able to say a single word.

Fast forward 7 years to today. Still as mute as ever, I've become a straight A+ student. My mother died 3 years ago from AIDS, most likely from my father. And the one man in the world I hate most? He's alive and kicking. Back in South Korea. I ended up transferring to an Amercan high school for my last 2 years before college. Not because of the schooling. Not because I particularly wanted to move to the U.S., but because my father hates Americans. I wanted to go to the one place I know he'd never follow me.

So, here I am. Standing at a bus stop near my crappy little apartment, waiting to get on a bus full of teenage Americans who are more likely to call me Chinese, 'Ching-Chong,' and stupid than to welcome me, or even treat me like a human being. But I'd rather be ridiculed for being a smart, mute, Asian than have to spend one more second with that flamboyantly gay excuse of a father who killed my mother and ruined my chance of having a normal life.

As I stand in the autumn cold, wrapped up in a thin purple jacket and an even thinner black and white scarf, I see an incriminating yellow bus pull up in front of me, stopping with a screech that makes the bus sound like it's in pain. I step on, the bus bouncing forgivingly with each step I take to throw myself in the very front seat. Apparantly my cheap in-ear headphones aren't enough of a sign to leave me alone, because as soon as the door closes and the tired old wheels begin to turn, a blonde haired, blue eyed, badly spray tanned girl who looks to be my age slides in the seat next to me and blinds me with her overly white-toothed smile.

"Hey!" Her voice sounds even peppier than she looks... kill me now. I keep a poker face, waving politely at her. I'm glad I studied my American culture over the summer, I almost bowed to her.

"My name's Jessica, what's yours?" A question that's not a yes or no answer... coming from a person who couldn't possibly know sign langauge. I dig in my pocket for a paper I have with common replies and point to my name: Daegun Kim. She reads the paper, then scrunches her nose as if she just stepped in dog crap.

"Dah-ee-gun? What are you, Chinese or something? Do you even speak english?" I shake my head at her, doing my best to ignore the 'Chinese' comment. I point to the short phrase below my name that reads 'I'm mute.' She rolls her eyes at me in response.

"I only came over because you're hot. I'm not going to sit here and read your half of the conversation just because you don't speak English, freak." And with that, she slid out of my seat with a dramatic flip of her bleach-blonde hair to reveal cheap extensions.

I can only sit in my seat and think to myself that it's going to be a long two years.

___________

So hi. Writing a fanfic because I just feel like writing. I am not homophobic at all, so don't take Daegun's Homohobia too seriusly. I'll be writing the entire fic  most of the fic from his point of view, and there will be later on. Umm, leave comments on what you think so far, or any ideas you might have. Sorry if anything is misspelled, but I hope you enjoyed Chapter 1 anyway! Thank you for reading, and please send me support: it really inspires me to do well.