And After a Month in This Hell...

I Have a Secret....

I almost want to go back to South Korea. Almost.

Apparantly, being gay is no big deal in American high school... Girls 'casually' making out in the hallways between classes... Guys sitting on each other's laps at lunch. One of the guys in my psychology class giggles. What man in his right mind giggles? I walk down the hallway every day in fear some guy will run up to me and kiss me. If that happens, I swear to god I will burn my face off.

Other than being surrounded by gays, the month of September passes by easily, quickly, and uneventfully. American school is so much easier and more laid back than my old school was. Aside from that Jessica girl, no one bothered me. Not even the teachers. That is until October 2nd when I got called down to the guidance office.

My grades are 'too good,' so I'll be transferred to a Senior's schedule, the peppy Mrs. Hill says. I watch in my usual silence as she changes my entire schedule. After the (sadly) most exciting moment of my one month at this place, she writes me a pass to go to my new current class: College Algebra.

As if being the only Junior in a room full of Seniors isn't bad enough, I walk into room 507 ten minutes late. Oh, and it gets better. The teacher decides to humiliate me even further.

"Class, this is our new student. Mr. Kim, would you please stand in front of the class and introduce yourself?" …… My first thought? A vulgar four letter word rhyming with 'duck' is the only thing running through my head. I somehow manage to keep a straight face as I walk up to the black board and pick up a piece of chalk.

Daegun Kim, Junior from South Korea. As soon as I finish writing, the teacher nods at me, motioning for me to take a seat. And, of course, the seat I pick is the wrong one. Not even 5 minutes later, I feel something hit the side of my head. I un-crumple the paper ball and read what's written on it with a frown.

'Wow, Azns r yellwr thn i thot' Next to the god awful spelling and almost illegible handwriting is a crude drawing of what looks like an asian nerd getting beaten up by someone much larger and more 'attractive.' The 'buff hunk' is saying "welcome to hell!" Ha. The joke is on this guy. I would be laughing if I could. I decide to finish the drawing by writing something in Korean by the 'nerd' as if he was saying it.

"I'm already in hell."

_____________

Another look into Daegun's homophobia. Hopefully the next chapter will be less... obnoxious.