Selfish

Our Promises

Jonghyun POV

"Jonghyun?" A familiar voice called me.

"K-key..., yoona?"


"Where's Sunhae?"

"I...."

"Yah! Tell me what happened!!"


I parted my lips, and bit my lower lip. "Sunhae, she... fainted. But this time, she was different." tears formed in my eyes.

"She... WHAT?" He began to fill up with emotions.

"Calm down, Key." Yoona hold his arms.

He covered his face with his palm and sighed in frustration.

"Didn't you know she's really sick? Why didn't you bring her back to the hospital instantly once you found her?!" He screamed.

"S-she's been sick all this time?" I stuttered. I felt so bad for not noticing.

He sighed.

"WHAT? You don't know about this?"

I shook my head.

"She's dying." Yoona said with trembling voice.

"Why?"

"She had an ilness. She often lost her memories... Her personality.... even herself."

I closed my mouth not believing her words.

"No..No... she's... not dying! She's just... tired, that's all! S-she won't leave us." I stuttered.

"Yah! The reason she left the hospital is because she wanted to see you, pabo!" Key screamed.

I felt my chest getting burn and hurt.

"Then why don't you stop her?! You know this would happen!" I defended.

"I....I couldn't stop her! Look, I know it's my fault. But, don't you see that she really wanted you to be by her side? Don't you see that she's waiting for you everyday to visit her and accompany her? I knew her feelings! She always mumbling your name in her sleep. She always cries when she heard your name. I thought you already knew about this and were too busy to visit her. I thought you'd visit her someday. But I was wrong. I was really stupid. You don't even care about her!! All you think was leaving her, hurt her, and makes her life miserable!"

"So, this is all my fault huh?" I said coldly. I felt tired of hearing his insults.

"JUST LEAVE, JONGHYUN!!!" He yelled.

"FINE!" I yelled back.

"Key..." Yoona whispered. "Stop it!"

"He's being selfish. Just let him be. Sunhae deserves someone much better than him." Key said sarcastically.

He's right. She deserves someone better than me. I'm such a nuisance to her. I always hurt her. I don't even know her feelings. I can't even protect her. I broke my promise. That was a promise of a lifetime and I broke it. I don't have rights to be by her side anymore.

I felt so bad. It hurts so much. I ruined her life and her future with my selfish attitude.

 

I walked outside the hospital with nowhere to go. I have to go far away where I couldn't see her.

 

Narrator POV

"That Jonghyun. He's such a selfish! He didn't even know what he's doing." Key screamed.

"Calm down. He's just confused." Yoona carresed his back gently.

The doctor came out of the room and called for Sunhae's guardian.

"Are you the family of Kim Sunhae?"

"We're just her friends."

"Did she know you well?" the doctor asked again.

"Of course!!! We're best of friends!"

"Very well then. We had a surgery and succeeded in saving her life. But we don't know yet if she will have a mental sickness after the surgery."

Key and Yoona jumped in happiness.

"Can we see her?" Yoona asked.

"Yes."

The doctor lead them into a ward. There, Sunhae was sleeping peacefully. Key and Yoona sat around her.

They looked at her for quite a long time. Her perfectly curved pink lips turned into white pale lips. Her hair is almost gone. She was really lifeless. Maybe death is better for her. She doesn't deserve to go through all of this. She's so innocent. A sweet girl like her should have live her life as a university student and having fun with her friends.

 

 

Key brushed his hand against her forehead, making her opening her eyes a bit after a week sleeping.

Key smiled in happiness. He hugged her tightly.

"You're okay, now. You're not dying anymore. The doctor saved your life, Sunhae-ah! Now we can go to school again together!"

Sunhae looked at him in confuseness. She parted her pale lips and said with hoarse voice.

"Who are you, Oppa?" She almost sound like a little kid.

Key giggled.

"It's just me, Key!"

"Oh, Key oppa. And who is that pretty lady beside you?"

"It's Yoona!" Key smiled and grabbed Yoona's hand.

"I miss you so much, Sunhae-ah!" She hugged her.

"S-sunhae? Who is she? Is she my mommy? Are you my mom and daddy?"

 

-------------------------------

End of chapter 35

Poor sunhae TT____TT