Fall

Love Letters to No One

 

I can't believe my first fic is almost over! One more chapter to go here, and I'm also doing a two part with Jiyong afterwords. I hope you'll like them and thank you so much for reading my strange musings!

 

 

We stood there for what felt like an eternity.  The world fell to pieces as I realized you had stepped into my life again (even if only for a brief reprieve.) Nothing mattered at that moment. There was no sun, no moon; just you and I.  You were drenched to the bone and shaking. (If I hadn’t known better I would have thought you ran here.) I wasn’t sure if it was in anger or from the chill that must be wracking through you, but it scared me none the less. I stumbled over my feet to let you in, you entering in silence. I went to remove your soaked coat, but you simply raised your hand to stop me.

 

And it began. You yelled. And you yelled. Your voice rang through every crack and forgotten corner of my apartment once again. The force of your being crashed against me like storm whipped waves, leaving a sinking pain in my chest, but I knew I was going to deserve every word that came my way. 

 

“What is wrong with you? I don’t ing understand you… Did you stop and think of me at all? You just sit there and let this all build up, without saying a single word to me?! I asked you! I knew something was wrong! I pleaded, I begged you to tell me! You made me feel like I was going crazy! I felt as though I hadn’t really know you at all! And then you just let me walk away like I was nothing to you!”

 

My soul began to shrivel under your words where I had let the hope of you coming back to me rise.

 

“You let me wallow in despair for weeks. For weeks! And then you just traipse back to me and spill your soul like that?” Your voice began to waver, breathes uneven.

“You say it was love. That you had all these fears, and insecurities. But you should have come to me! I was supposed to help! I was supposed to be the one you trusted! I would have been by your side. I wouldn’t have walked away…” Your voice finally cracked and I wrapped my arms around you, your final words muffled into my chest. For once it was my warmth that enveloped us. You fingers twisted a tight grip on my now wet hemline.

“What took you so long?” you spoke softly, words muffled into my chest. I pulled you closer, tighter, what little space that was left between us disappearing. 

 

We stood there wrapped in one another for a long while. There were plenty of words that still needed to be said (hundreds and hundreds and thousands, mostly from me) but for now the simple presence of one another here spoke volumes in and of itself. It was only when I felt you begin to shiver that I realized how long we had been standing there. I quickly made work of your jacket, wrapping you in a blanket and bringing you to the couch.

 

And so we began. We spoke like long lost lovers. Our endless trail of words escaped quietly, but with little pause; as if they could be stolen off our tongues. In the minute silences that broke I wondered if you could hear my heart beating against it’s cage of ribs, fluttering nervously in you presence once again. (The curling of your lips lead me to believe so.) My voice fell hoarse as I released all of these thoughts, these hopes, these fears. Fragments of my soul I never thought would reach the light of day. (But if you stayed by my side there wouldn’t be a piece of me left in shadow.)

 

We didn’t stop as the afternoon fell away to evening. Nor when the low orange rays from the street lamps below began to cast their dim glow across us. It was only when words no longer seemed able to keep up with our racing thoughts that we fell silent. (The way our fingers danced and intertwined under the shelter of your blanket seemed to pick up where our words left off.)

 

I’m not sure how many times I had it reel through my mind. When I came home from work and you were already here. When we sat, limbs tangled, your finger running lazily through my hair. With every kiss that came with the start of the day, and that came with the fall of night. Every time my chest warmed at the thought of your smile. Maybe even that first night you managed to find me in the fog I had lost myself in. But I knew once it slipped my lips I would never let those words fall silent again.

 

“I love you.” The baritone of my voice seemed to hang everything in the weight of those words.

It was you who was silent now, but those earthen eyes I spent endless night studying burst with the love I have always felt. Your fingers trailed the line of my jaw, your lips gracing mine, slow, soft, but filled with purpose. Every smile, every touch, every tear was felt in that kiss. You pulled back, but didn’t release your grasp.

“The sun is nothing without it’s moon.”

 

The words that flowed between us ran through every fissure, every crack, that lie between us, filling them to the brim. There was no long a you, nor I, but we were whole. Your breath filled my tarnished lungs, my heart beat steadily in your chest. Nothing could separate us now, for we were the sun and moon. The rain continued to wash the city away, but it didn’t matter. We just let it fall.