9th September

The Sun

 

 

 

 


 

Friday, 12-21-2011

“The difference between 9th September 2011 and today is huge. Hurt? A bit, maybe.”

 

‘Happy Birthday, Park Eunbin!’ The small crowd applauds merrily right after the slender girl blown all the twenty candles on her birthday cake. Smile doesn’t cease from her face as she blushes in red, feeling the glee that every normal girl in this world always wanted. Surrounded by family and friends on one of the most important days of her life, it is surely a meaningful event for her.

‘Let’s take a picture!’ A purpled hair guy with a deep voice utters excitedly, holding a Polaroid and everyone in the small room scrunches closer to the birthday girl, wanting to appear in the frame except this one person.

 

‘Shinhye-ya. You too.’ He signals a long haired girl standing quite far from the group of people to scoot in closer but she only answers him with a warm smile.

‘Come here, Unni.’ Eunbin calls out to the girl when she realizes that one of her important people is not close to where she is right now.

‘No thanks.’ A short answer escapes from as she continues to smile.

‘Are you sure?’

She nods at Eunbin’s question and not even asking for the second time, the purple haired boy snaps some pictures of the ecstatic people in front of him. Laughter and giggles echo throughout the small dining room and Shinhye, she’s laughing and smiling too sometimes. But more like forced ones.

 

 

Sunday, 09-09-2011

Happy Birthday, Unni :)

 

Shinhye can only pull out a weak smile upon reading the text message from her stepsister, Park Eunbin. It’s already 11 pm and that’s the only ‘Happy Birthday’ wish she received from someone. Not even her stepmother wished her ‘Happy Birthday.’ Who knows, she might doesn’t even remember.

Maybe being the ‘outsider’ in Eunbin’s family makes them see her as a stranger. Shinhye’s father died due to heart attack a few months after he got married to Eunbin’s mother a few years back. Shocked, saddened and hurt by her father’s sudden death and she, moving into a new neighborhood has turned her into a quiet and cold ice princess. She has few friends, not close ones. Enough for her to ask help when she needs one. Unlike her bubbly and cheerful stepsister, Park Eunbin who enjoys her life with numerous girlfriends and one sweet and perfect boyfriend.

 

‘I… I’m already twenty one. Happy Birthday, to myself.’ The petite girl mutters to herself while lying down on her small bed. Thinking about her deceased parents, family who are far away and true friends that she never really had, Park Shinhye closes her eyes in solemn and when she does, a drop of tear falls from her beautiful eyes.

That night, she cries herself to sleep.

 

 

Saturday, 12-22-2011

Dear Diary,

A late entry. It’s already one in the morning because I was busy cleaning up after Eunbin’s birthday party. Many people came like usual and huge presents too. The truth is, I really want to smile and laugh sincerely with those people but I couldn’t. I laughed before at the party but the thing that I really wanted to do was crying. Was I being a jealous brat?

 

She puts her pen down and closes her precious diary. Shinhye’s not sure of her feelings. Was it jealousy? Nobody but Eunbin wished her a happy birthday, no birthday party and no pictures during hers. But today, those people came to celebrate Eunbin’s birthday, joking and laughing with her stepsister while she herself, standing at a corner all the time, waiting, looking at the crowd around her, alone. Maybe people would be mistaken her as the waitress at that time, only waiting to be called.

 

“Cheer up, Shinhye. Your parents are always watching you from up above, hoping and wishing you not only a happy birthday, but a happy life. Don’t cry.”

 

The small conscious tries to persuade her crestfallen heart again. That’s what the loyal conscious always does, but day by day, sometimes, it feels like those same words doesn’t work on her anymore.

 

 

Sunday, 12-23-2011

Shinhye opens her sketchpad and starts to draw the beautiful scenery of the Han River in front of her eyes. Being an art student and immersed in drawings are the only things that keep the fragile girl calm and a little happy inside. Standing alone by the river with headphones plugged in her ears, connection to the real world is off. That time, she’s inside her little own world.

 

‘Auch..!’

The sketchpad’s dropped to the ground, headphones are off of her head and the pen flies and lost from view as Shinhye winces in pain when she felt a hard bump from beside her.

‘Oh my, I’m sorry!’ A guy in his running attire takes off his headset and utters apologetically while picking up Shinhye’s stuff on the ground. Sweat is dripping down his forehead when he hands the things back to her and anyone can tell that he still looks striking even in that condition.

Shinhye never yelled to anyone before despite if her anger reaches its maximum and at that time, she can only shoot a death glare at the person who hit her before.

‘Next time, please look in front when you’re walking.’

‘Well, technically, I was running. But again, sorry. I was looking at my watch before. Look, I just realized the needle’s not moving.’ He shows her his dead watch but Shinhye only squints at his face. Irritated by his childish remarks, she stomps her feet away from the guy without the slightest smile, leaving him dumbfounded.

 

‘Hey, I thought we could have breakfast together to make it up…’ He mumbles under his breath as he watches Shinhye’s figure slowly vanishes from view. But there’s one thing that caught his eyes when he first saw her face. Her beautiful eyes.

 

 

Tuesday, 04-17-2012

‘Yes? Please? No?’

Three words that she solely hated coming from the mouth of the sweet talker boy. First, he’s the careless jogging guy who bumped into her at the Han River. Then, a new transfer student at her college. Next, the irritating stalker who always asked for her number and now, the boy who enjoys giving her a warm bread roll every morning.

‘No. No,no, no for the hundredth time, Jung Yonghwa.’ She states loud and clear and pushes the book to his chest, quite hard.

‘But it’s just an assignment about the techniques of the ancient people. You know better than me, Shinhye-ya…’ He continues to tail the slim girl along the corridor packed with people.

‘It’s because you don’t study. Leave me alone…!’ She tries to shove him off but it won’t work. No matter what kind of things she did, being cold to him, he’s still there. And if she’s not talking, he would be by himself and that made Shinhye felt a lot more annoyed. And somehow, because of him, she’s been talking a lot since these past months.

‘This is how you pay me after all the breads and food that I gave you?’

‘I didn’t even ask for those. And by the way, I thank you for them.’

‘Help me with the assignment to show me your gratitude then…’ He whines like a little kid.

‘You’re always like this, asking for my help, this and that. Don’t you have any other good thing to do? Meet me at the library tomorrow at 3.’ She snatches the history book from his hands and walks rapidly away from the grinning boy.

 

 

Sunday, 07-29-2012

Sobs can be heard as Shinhye pats her stepsister’s back lovingly, trying to persuade the heartbroken girl. He left the Eunbin for another lady.

 

The person who wants to leave will leave.

Even if you stayed by them, it would’ve happened sooner or later.

 

Looks like nothing do last forever. Now Shinhye realizes that nobody’s life is always happy and perfect. Sun shines but sometimes, rain can pour and she now knows, jealousy that she held before in her heart was something that she shouldn’t have ever kept.

‘Eunbin-ah.’

The girl sniffs and looks to her stepsister’s face, wiping the tears on her porcelain cheeks.

‘I’m sorry.’

‘But why?’

‘I always envied you, Eunbin. Look at you. You’re pretty, have loads of friends, talkative and all. Unlike me.’ Shinhye caresses the doll like girl’s face of her stepsister lovingly. She never hated that girl and in fact, she always cares for her, like she’s her own family.

‘Unni, don’t you know that I also envy you sometimes? You’re good in arts, beautiful too and I think you’re a lot prettier than me – ‘

‘Park Eunbin.’ She calls Eunbin’s name in a firm tone, as if it’s a protest.

‘You always smile and cry for me, Unni. That really means a lot.’ Eunbin pulls Shinhye into a tight hug, forgetting about the harsh breakup she’d experienced a few hours back.

 

 

Saturday, 08-25-2012

‘There! It’s done! Now just a little more touch ups and it’ll be perfect.’ The girl flips her bangs and wipes a bead of sweat on her forehead with the back of her hand. Sunlight brightens the spacious painting studio as the two people are eyeing the beautifully painted picture of the countryside’s scenery in front of them.

‘Aigoo, so pretty. Thank you so much, Shinhye-ya.’ He utters in excitement and tries to take the painting but Shinhye immediately hits his hand, preventing him to do so.

‘It’s not a hundred percent finished yet!’

‘You’ve done so much for me, Shinhye-ya. I owe you for this one. My mum’s going to love this! So, when can I take it?’ He asks, rubbing his hand that was being hit before.

‘Maybe tomorrow. Hey, this makes me wonder. Aren’t you the one who should be painting for your own mother? It’s her birthday present, right?’

‘I need to give her the best. You know how y I am in drawings, right?’

‘And so, you took sculpting? Can’t you sculpt something for her?’

‘Ya, Park Shinhye. Stop with all the questions, won’t you? My parents forced me into this field. They want me to follow their footsteps, being all artsy. The truth is I want to open up a business. Sell something or open up a shoe company for instance.’ Yonghwa explains while the girl just pulls out her ‘awe’ face.

‘So, you want to sell shoes? Pft!’ Shinhye tries to hold her laughter, covering with her palms.

‘Laugh, laugh all you want. Hey, bet if I’m the one who sell your paintings, you can get hella of fortunes going into your pocket.’

‘Okay, Shoe Ahjussi.. Whatever you say…’

‘Mmm… Hey, Shinhye-ya. What’s the thing that you always want the most?’ He asks a sudden question to her.

‘What? Hmm… I always wanted to play a guitar even thought I never knew how to play one. But hey, why’re you asking?’ She lets out a small scoff while fixing her long braid.

‘Guitar? Oh, nothing important. Haha… Ya! You better make this painting ready by tomorrow, got it?’ Yonghwa hits Shinhye’s head playfully earning a small whine from the girl.

 

 

Monday, 09-09-2012

The small diner’s quiet with only a few people inside, enjoying and concentrating on their dinner plate and at the far corner of the place, Park Shinhye’s sitting at the table all by herself. A small chocolate cupcake, a serving of tteobokki and a glass of milkshake are on her table.

‘Happy Birthday to Park Shinhye. Happy Birthday to you.’ A sweet melody comes out from as she tries to keep her voice as low as possible, not wanting people to stare. Shinhye closes her eyes, wishing for something and after that, she cuts the cake happily.

 

“Smile makes you happy. Crying makes you sad, so smile and laugh while you can even if it hurts. You’ll feel a bit happy eventually.”

 

*beep*

She can feel her phone vibrates. “Happy Birthday, Unni :)” As usual, it’s from her stepsister. Same old wish, same old smiley.

*beep*

“Unni, where are you? When are you coming home? Come home quick^^”

She glances at her watch. It’s still seven, but why Eunbin’s asking her to come home this early? “I’m at the diner. I’ll be home soon, maybe in another half an hour.”

 

While walking home, Shinhye recalls back her life since this past year. It’s changed quite much, especially since Jung Yonghwa entered into her life. She’s never hungry in the morning, more people are asking for her paintings since his famous mother really liked her work and she just realized that she’s been more talkative lately. And it is all thanks to the careless jogging boy.

 

“People can change because of another.”

 

Her feet stop in front of her house without realizing. Maybe her mind was too occupied with thoughts of her life before but when she opens the wooden door, she notices that the inside of the house’s pitch black.

‘Where’re the lights? The streetlamps are on –‘

‘Happy Birthday, Park Shinhye!’

A few voices echo to her ears as the lights are turned back on. Eunbin, Yonghwa and her stepmother are grinning happily while holding a birthday cake. A proper one. And nobody knows how shocked the brunette is. Eyes wide open, it seems like she needs a paper bag to breathe.

‘Happy Birthday, Unni.’ Eunbin walks slowly to her darling stepsister and hands her a couple necklace as a present before hugging each other lovingly.

‘Happy Birthday too, dear.’ Shinhye’s stepmother also gives a present.

The birthday girl’s still speechless, eyeing the three people in front of her. Yonghwa nervously approaches the dumbfounded girl, holding his gift.

‘Ya, why can’t you say something? Here’s your present. I’ve worked hard for it this past week. Happy Birthday, Shinhye. Well, you can’t play it but hey, this’s the best that I can do. Look, you can put a pen in it.’ With his hands plastered with small plasters, Yonghwa shows her his sculpted guitar, sized as small as an adult’s palm but it’s pretty. Neatly carved and made of some kind of wood, some may say it’s a high classed sculpture. But then, the pen that’s stuck in the guitar’s hole. It’s the one that she dropped during their first meet.

 

Shinhye can’t seem to talk. Tears b in her eyes, she’s touched by their efforts that she feels she doesn’t deserve all of this especially Yonghwa. It probably caused him plenty of time and patience, looking at his injured hands makes her feel a lot guiltier.

‘Hey, why’re you crying?’

‘Why’re you doing this?’

‘Unni, you deserve this. It’s Yonghwa Oppa’s idea – ‘

‘You, Jung Yonghwa! Take this back.’ Shinhye quickly returns the small gift back to Yonghwa’s hand.

‘Park Shinhye, it’s your birthday –‘

‘I know I wished for this before but I never thought it’d come true…’ Tears start to fall down her soft cheeks that Yonghwa feels like his heart’s being pierced with a knife.

‘Listen here Shinhye, you’re a special person to lots of people, to Eunbin, to your stepmother and to me. And you need to know how much you mean to us. Meeting you was the one thing that I’m really thankful of. I’m even thankful to my dead watch before. Shinhye, please accept this guitar. Accept this cake, accept these presents, accept your family’s love and please,’ He closes his eyes and inhales a deep breath.

Please accept my heart.

 

“The difference between 9th September 2011 and today is huge. Happy? It’s far more than that.”

 

 

 


There, it's done~ I've spend almost a week for this not so great oneshot. I've been craving to do a happy Yongshin oneshot since my long Yongshin fic is full with heavy emotions and all, so I hope you enjoy this oneshot. Maybe this can make up to the late updates :P

Actually, Shinhye's character here is quite the same as mine. I was a little hurt too because of birthday issues. Call me sensitive or whatsoever :P And here comes the idea for the oneshot, trying to persuade my poor broken hearted soul. lol But there's one thing that I'm sure of. Everybody's life has its happy and sad moments. Just look up to the sky and be positive. Life's like a wheel. There're happy and sad moments. That's life. But if you're crying, smile even if it's a forced one. It'll make you happy a bit somehow.

Ooh, and listen to the song. I practically love it when I first heard it. It gives me warm and fuzzy feelings when I listen to it^^ 

Thanks for reading up till now with this unnecessary long rants xD Love you guys <3 Ouh, Shinhye's birthday here's fictional. Please don't stab me, thinking I didn't know her real birthday xD