Why Did You Lie To Me?

Why Did You Lie to Me?

“Jonghyun,why did you lie to me?” Key asked as tears began to well up in his eyes.

 

Jonghyun didn’t answer.

 

“Jonghyun, tell me why,”Key begged as a tear slipped from his eye; then another…and another.

 

Jonghyun didn’t answer once again.

 

“Jonghyun all that time you and Sekyung were just together as friends’ right? You would never hurt me,”Key said, sounding as if he was convincing himself more than he was convincing Jonghyun.

 

No answer.

 

“You wouldn’t hurt me right?”

 

No answer.

 

Jonghyun couldn’t answer. He didn’t know how to. He hurt Key. He knew he did. He didn’t mean to. He was afraid that he would hurt Key even more if he spoke another word.

 

Key and Jonghyun didn’t say anything for a long time. Neither of them had anything to say. Key knew the truth now. Jonghyun’s silence spoke for him. His silence just confirmed Key’s fears were true. Not once in their marriage did Key think Jonghyun would do such a thing; deceive him.

 

Jonghyun was with another woman.

 

Jonghyun cheated on him.

 

Worst of all Jonghyun lied to him.

 

Jonghyun never lied to him. Jonghyun promised he would never lie to him...but he broke that promise. He went behind his back with another woman. He lied to him. He ing lied to him and it ing hurt.

 

***

 

The next day Jonghyun woke up to find that he was the only one in the house. He assumed Key just went out somewhere. Jonghyun wanted to work things out with Key today. He was ready to talk; to explain himself even though he knew that whatever excuse he came up with couldn’t compensate for the fact that he indeed cheated on him. Jonghyun cheated on the man he married and loved. He couldn’t believe it himself. He couldn’t imagine the pain and emotional suffering Key was going through; especially since Key trusted him.

 

It was 11pm.

 

Jonghyun never left the house. He waited for Key to come back from wherever he went. He wasn’t back yet. Jonghyun was just sitting on the couch in the living room. He sat there all day. The only time he got up was to eat or go to the bathroom.

 

Jonghyun scanned his eyes across the room. One thing caught his eye. Their wedding picture… it was gone.

 

Jonghyun searched around the house to find where it had gone. Did they move it somewhere? No, Key and Jonghyun never moved it from that spot on the wall the moment they put it there five years ago.

 

As he searched around the house he only found more things missing, pictures from their first anniversary, college photos, Key’s favourite vase, Key’s cooking utensils and basically all of Key’s possessions.

 

It was when Jonghyun noticed that the contents of Key’s closet had disappeared and the house was almost completely stripped of his possessions that Jonghyun realized Key had left.

 

Key had left Jonghyun. This shattered Jonghyun’s heart. Key left him leaving no time for Jonghyun to explain himself. Jonghyun fell onto the bed and cried. He cried his ing eyes out. He turned his head to the side. On Key’s pillow was something gold, glistening in the light. He noticed that it was the only thing that belonged to Key in the entire house that he obviously left intentionally; his wedding ring.

 

***

 

It took a while for the fact that Key left him to sink in. Jonghyun had trouble getting used to waking up alone, eating alone and just being alone. Jonghyun forgot what it felt like to have no one by your side.

 

It finally sunk in when divorce papers arrived in Jonghyun’s mail. Jonghyun spread the papers out on the table and just stared at them. The pen was right there; right in front of him. He found that he didn’t even have the strength to pick it up. He was weak; emotionally weak. He couldn’t sign those papers. He didn’t want to. Although it said that they had to be signed by the next day, he couldn’t do it. Key was his life. If he signed those papers it would mean Key would be out of his life. Although eventually, Jonghyun knew he had to do it. 

 

 

*** 

 

Jonghyun just came back from court and collapsed on the couch. He was now officially a single man. Although he hated to admit it, he was single now, and he already dreaded it. Knowing that Key was no longer in his life, ripped Jonghyun’s heart into pieces. Internally, he felt hollow. He felt an uncomfortable emptiness that he presumed would take him a long, very long time, to overcome.

 

It hadn’t even been a week and Jonghyun was yearning for the other. In fact, the moment he woke up alone in his bed that day he was yearning for him. He wants to hold him, kiss him; he just wants to be with him to get rid of this emptiness. He knew that the only way he could get rid of this unsettling feeling was to have the younger one beside him. He just wanted to know how he was. He wanted to see him again.

 

***

 

Two years later and Jonghyun forgot about it. In fact, it didn’t actually take him as long as he expected it to. After about a year of being divorced Jonghyun got back with Sekyung. They even raised a child together. Thankfully it wasn’t Jonghyun’s. It was another child she had with another guy. This did disturb Jonghyun but he lived with it.

 

***  

 

Jonghyun sat in his swivel chair, doing nothing but staring into space; bored out of his mind. Jonghyun, suddenly making his mind up that he wanted to get himself a cup of coffee, walked out of his office and downstairs to get himself a cup of coffee. He walked down the street to one of those little coffee shops. Jonghyun never used to drink coffee until now since he insisted on working overtime to get away from Sekyung and the kid.

 

He walked into the store, went up to the counter and waited for his order. Once he got his coffee, he made his way out, only to stop halfway, to stare at a man with brunette hair wearing a white sweater that hung loosely on his arms, shiny silver skinny jeans that emphasized his long legs and silver sneakers. He had a face, a beautiful face that he could recognize from miles away. He approached him and tapped him on the shoulder lightly. He looked up and there he was, with those enchanting, feline eyes staring back at his.


“Hey Key,” Jonghyun said casually.

 

“H—Hi,” Key stuttered awkwardly. Key would do anything to get out of this situation.

 

“I haven’t seen you in a while,” Jonghyun said.

 

Key just laughed lowly and stared back down at his hands on the table.

 

“Umm…” someone said behind Jonghyun and Jonghyun turned and stepped aside.

 

“Key who’s this?” the guy asked and Key looked up once again.

 

“This?” Key questioned pointing at Jonghyun. “This is Jonghyun…We…used to know each other.”

 

A stab was made to Jonghyun’s heart; “used to know each other”?

 

“Really?” the guy asked.

 

“Yeah, we were friends.”

 

And another stab was made. Was Key really trying to hide the fact they used to be married to…whoever this guy is?

 

“Jonghyun this is Jinki,” Key introduced, now standing up.

 

Jonghyun smiled at the guy and shook his hand.

 

“So you guys used to be friends?” Jinki asked. They were still standing in the middle of the café.

 

“Yeah, since college,” Jonghyun answered.

 

“Long time…” Jinki commented, nodding his head.

 

“You and Key are friends?” Jonghyun now questioned.

 

“No,” Jinki answered.

 

“Then what are you?”

 

“Key’s my fiancé. We’re getting married in two months,” Jinki answered brightly and took a hold of Key’s hand. Key blushed and moved closer to Jinki.

 

Jonghyun just stared at them with wide eyes. “W—what?!” he stammered.

 

“What? Is there something wrong with us getting married?” Jinki asked defensively as his grip tightened on Key’s hand.


“Yes,” Jonghyun replied.

 

Everyone in the café was now staring at them but neither of the three was aware.

 

“Yeah well what’s wrong?” Jinki asked angrily.

 

“It’s…” Jonghyun couldn’t say that he was jealous or just ing pissed that Key was getting married to whoever this Jinki guy is. He had to lie. “It’s…its wrong for men to marry other men.”

“What?” both Key and Jinki said simultaneously, both genuinely surprised.

 

“Yes, men should just their secretaries and marry them,” Key muttered under his breath. Jonghyun heard, but Jinki didn’t.


Jonghyun knew exactly who he was referring to. He was referring to Sekyung.

 

“What was that Kibummie?” Jinki asked and by now Jonghyun was fuming.

 

Kibummie? No one was allowed to call Key ‘Kibummie’ except for Jonghyun. That was Jonghyun’s nickname for him and no one else could call him that.

 

“Come on Kibummie let’s leave,” he said and walked out with Key.

 

***

 

“Jonghyun,” Sekyung called from the kitchen.

 

“What?!” Jonghyun called back; still pissed from what happened earlier that day.

 

“I heard you ran into Key today,” she said.

 

“H—how’d you know?” Jonghyun asked.

 

“Jinki told me.”

 

“You talk to Jinki?”

 

“Yeah…Long story.”

 

“I don’t care.”

 

“I know.”

 

Jonghyun didn’t really love Sekyung and Sekyung didn’t really love Jonghyun. Sekyung knew Jonghyun needed help to fill that empty space in his heart and she kindly offered him help in his time of need with no strings attached and Jonghyun only got with Sekyung to help her with raising a child; no feelings involved at all. In fact, they really hated each other.

 

***

 

The next day next day Jonghyun watched from the kitchen as Key stepped in, hand in hand with Jinki. He clenched his fists as he saw Jinki holding him. God, he wanted to rip his balls off. If there was anyone that should be holding Key like that, it should be Jonghyun and only Jonghyun.

 

Key still looked as beautiful as ever. He watched as he sat himself in the living room and as Sekyung tried to make friendly conversation. Jonghyun saw the emotion in Key’s eyes as he looked at her; it was pure hatred.

 

“Jonghyun come join us,” Sekyung called over to him.

 

“Coming,” Jonghyun called back.

 

At times like these when he and Sekyung had company over they had to act like a couple. He didn’t feel like it though especially since the company was Key and Jinki.

 

“So,” Sekyung started when Jonghyun sat down beside her.

 

Jonghyun kept his eyes on Key the entire time. Key wouldn’t look up. He would just be playing with his ring, the one Jinki gave him when he proposed, sliding the ring off then on again. Something about Key just seemed…doubtful.

 

“Jonghyun?” Sekyung said and Jonghyun snapped back to reality.

 

“Yes?” Jonghyun replied.

 

Sekyung nudged him lightly in the thigh and Jonghyun rolled his eyes. Whenever she did that it indicated that they had to do something to prove they’re a couple. Jonghyun sighed and kissed her lightly on the cheek. Jonghyun watched Key’s facial expression turn to disgust. He understood that it was hard for him to watch that.

 

“Uhh…So who wants dinner?”

 

 

***

 

Once dinner was done, Jinki kindly volunteered to do the dishes for Sekyung, same as Jonghyun, not wanting to look bad in front of this Jinki guy.

 

Key and Sekyung went back to the living room while the other two were in the kitchen cleaning up. It was awkward and the sound of water running, splashing and the shutting of cupboards were all that could be heard.

 

After a good five minutes of no talking, Jinki decided to break the silence. “I know who you are Kim Jonghyun,” he said.

 

Jonghyun stopped drying plates and looked up at Jinki. “What do you mean?”

 

“I know you’re Key’s ex-husband,” Jinki answered, emotionless and continued with his task.

 

“How do you know?” Jonghyun then asked.

 

“He mentions you sometimes.”

 

“Oh…”

 

“Yeah…”

 

“So…Umm…Anyway… How’s Key nowadays,” Jonghyun asked awkwardly.

 

“Quiet,” was all Jinki could respond and then grabbed another plate to wash.

 

“Well that’s not the Key I know,” Jonghyun said, mostly talking to himself.


“I wonder why he’s quiet,” Jinki said sarcastically and gave the plate to Jonghyun to dry.


Jonghyun scoffed and they both continued what they were doing quietly for the time being until Key walked into the kitchen.


“Jinki, you take too long. Let me do that,” he said and took over Jinki’s job.

 

Jonghyun just laughed quietly to himself.

 

Now that Key was here, Jonghyun felt more awkward. He hasn’t been alone with Key in such a long time. Oh the things he would do to him when they’re alone together.

 

“Getting married huh?” Jonghyun settled with that as a conversation starter.

 

“Yep,” Key replied and handed Jonghyun a plate.

 

“Are you happy?”

 

“Yep”


“Not believing it.”


Key stopped what he was doing and let the sound of water going down the drain take over for a while. “Believe what you want then,” he ended up saying.

 

“You’re not happy…” Jonghyun said.

 

“I know I’m not happy,” Key responded and began washing the last few plates and bowls.


Jonghyun sighed. “It hurts me to know you’re not happy because of me.”

 

“It hurts me to see that you’re happy because of her,” Key replied bitterly and felt like smashing a plate.

 

“I’m not happy,” Jonghyun said.

 

“You seem happy.”

“Well I’m not.”

 

“Appa!” a soft voice called and both Jonghyun and Key turned around.


“Uhh—“

 

“Sorry Jonghyun,” Sekyung said as she ran in and took the child in her arms and walked out of the kitchen.

 

Once she left Jonghyun turned back to Key to see his face light up with anger. “Is that—“


“It’s not mine,” Jonghyun intervened before any assumptions. “She had it with someone else.”

 

“Oh…” Key responded awkwardly. “That’s good.”

 

“Yeah… Umm…Hey Key.”

 

“Hmm?” Key responded turning back to the sink.

 

“You’re…Still…Really beautiful.”

 

“If you think flattery will get you anywhere it’s not...”


“It got me places when I first met you.”


“Yeah well you were different back then.”

 

“How?”

 

“You never thought about cheating on me.”

 

Now that, Jonghyun did not know how to respond.


“That…I was…I’m sorry…”

 

“Sure you are.”

 

“I am really—“


“Sure…”


“Really…”


“Save it Jonghyun…”


“REALLY sorry,” Jonghyun finally finished.

 

“I bet you don’t mean it,” Key said coldly.

 

“I do.”


“Liar”

 

“I’m not lying.”

 

“Yes you are.”

 

“Can’t you just trust me with this?”

 

“No I can’t because you ing cheated on me! I’m finding it very hard to trust you knowing you cheated on me!” Key snapped.

 

“Key they’ll hear us—“


“I DON’T CARE! I DON’T WANT TO BE HERE ANYMORE!”

 

With that, Key walked out of the house and Jinki ran after him.

 

***  

 

It was obvious to Jonghyun that Key was still angry about what happened two years ago. Jonghyun couldn’t blame him since he himself was still grieving over the incident which he himself also caused.

 

After what happened a few days ago when Sekyung invited Jinki and Key over, a thick silence took over the house. There was no longer any communication between Jonghyun and Sekyung. Jonghyun didn’t even contribute into helping out with the kid anymore. They were both just tired of pretending to enjoy being with each other.

 

***

 

“Jonghyun let’s stop this,” Sekyung said one night.

 

Jonghyun looked up from the ground to meet her eyes. “Are you sure?” he asked.

 

“Come on Jonghyun, we both wanted this to end the moment it started,” she replied.

 

“Will you be fine taking care of a child by yourself?”

 

“Yeah I’ll be fine.”

 

“I guess I better start packing my things now.”

 

“Yeah you do that.”

 

*** 

 

The next day Jonghyun and Sekyung said their goodbyes and Jonghyun drove off. He owned an apartment nearby. He bought so he could spend nights there away from Sekyung; which was almost every night.

 

***

 

The next day, his first day of being free once again, he went out to buy some supplies for himself. He pushed the cart, throwing whatever he needed carelessly into it. He was too busy staring out into space to notice Jinki and bumped his cart into him.

 

“Watch where your—Jonghyun?” 

 

“Jinki?” Jonghyun replied and straightened up to look presentable. “Sorry I wasn’t paying attention.”

 

“Yeah well you really should pay attention,” Jinki muttered.


“Where’s Key?” Jonghyun asked. He was eager to know about him after what had happened that night.

 

“Oh…Umm… He’s still… recovering,” Jinki answered; unsure. “I think,” he then added.

 

“What do you mean ‘I think’?” Jonghyun questioned and raised an eyebrow.

 

“Well, after that night he left,” Jinki said glumly.

 

“He…left?”

 

“Yeah he left me and gave me the ring back and cancelled the wedding.”

 

“Oh…”

 

“Now I know how you feel,” Jinki chuckled.

 

“That’s not something to joke around with Jinki,” Jonghyun said and glared slightly at the other.

 

“Sorry…”

 

Jinki began walking with Jonghyun as he was doing his shopping, not wanting to stay in one place.

 

“So why exactly did he leave. You didn’t do anything,” Jonghyun said as he threw a bunch of cereal boxes into the cart.

 

“Well, long story short, he’s still in love with you.”

 

Jonghyun halted and stared up at Jinki.

 

“Yeah… He also said something about how he can’t deal with it anymore,” Jinki continued to explain.

 

“Deal with what?” Jonghyun asked.

 

“Loving you when he’s with me,” Jinki answered.

 

“Oh…”

 

Jinki just nodded his head slowly, looking down.

 

“Anything else he said?” Jonghyun asked as he started pushed the cart again.

 

“No—wait yes,” Jinki replied.

 

“What?”

 

“He also said something about leaving; as in leaving the country.”

 

Jonghyun halted once again. “Huh?!”

 

“I don’t know whether he really meant it. He was just ranting on. It was depressing to see him in that state because of me. He said I held him back a lot,” Jinki said sadly.

 

“Yeah but he’s still in love with me,” Jonghyun said.

 

“So? What’s so bad about that? You should be grateful he’s still madly in love with you after what you did. Especially since you even decided to move in with Sekyung and raise a kid with her. Be grateful. I actually loved him.”

 

“I know but what I meant by that was since he’s still in love with me it’s hurting him and I’m sorry to hear that… I know you genuinely loved him.”

 

“Tell me Jonghyun,” Jinki started. “Are you still in love with him?”

 

Jonghyun hesitated for a while. He actually never really thought about it. Sure, he yearned for Key every single day they were apart but does that count as still being in love with him? Jonghyun was sure he was still in love with Key. There was just this other unsure feeling he had.

 

“So I take that as a no,” Jinki said and turned around, ready to walk off until Jonghyun grabbed him by the arm.

 

“I love him. I still love him,” Jonghyun said but Jinki could tell that he was unsure due to the way he said it.

 

“Are you sure?” Jinki asked and Jonghyun just stared.

 

Jinki took Jonghyun’s silence as his cue to just walk away.

 

“Hey Jinki,” Jonghyun called to him.

 

Jinki turned around and raised an eyebrow.

 

“Do you know where Key’s staying now?”

 

Jinki walked back closer to Jonghyun. “He’s staying with his mum for now. I assume you know where that is,” he answered.

 

“Thanks. I’ll see you around Jinki.”

 

“I doubt it.”

 

With that, Jinki walked away from Jonghyun. Both knew that neither of their paths would cross again.

 

***

 

Jonghyun arrived at the doorstep of Key’s mother’s house where Jinki said Key has been staying now. He knocked three times and waited patiently for someone to answer the door. Key’s mother answered the door after a few seconds of waiting.

 

“Oh Jonghyun!” she exclaimed and went up to hug him. Jonghyun gladly returned the hug. “I haven’t seen you in such a long time. Come in have a seat.”

 

Jonghyun stepped into the house and took a seat on the couch in the living room. Jonghyun kindly rejected her offer of tea and just decided to wait patiently on the couch. He scanned the room and saw that most of Key’s belongings were here. Jonghyun’s eyes stopped at the picture hanging on the wall in from of him; their wedding picture. Of course, Key had taken it.

 

“So Jonghyun…” Key’s mother started and Jonghyun snapped out of his thoughts.

 

“Yes?” Jonghyun answered and Key’s mother sat down beside him.

 

“What brings you here?”

 

“I’m looking for Key. Jinki told me he staying here now.”

 

“Ah yes…” was all she responded. She was silent for a while.

 

“He…He didn’t leave already did he?” Jonghyun asked, a new wave of panic taking over him.

 

“No, no he hasn’t yet,” she answered.

 

“Yet? So he is leaving?”

 

“Well… Yes he is. He’s leaving to America. He said he wanted to start fresh. It’s a shame. I don’t want him to leave. He was so happy with Jinki…”

 

“What about me?” Jonghyun asked, not really knowing what he meant.

 

“What do you mean?” she asked and raised an eyebrow.

 

“I mean…He was happy with me too…”

 

Key’s mother laughed. It wasn’t a happy laugh. It was a laugh of sadness. “Yes. He was very happy with you; very, very happy with you, which makes it more heartbreaking that you…” She paused for a while and Jonghyun just sat there. He knew where she was heading. “That you went and broke his heart like that,” she finally finished.

 

“You know I didn’t mean to,” Jonghyun said lowly.

 

“Then why did you Jonghyun? How can you not mean to cheat on him? He was so heartbroken.”

 

Jonghyun knew that she was getting mad. He didn’t want anyone to get mad. He came here to work things out.

 

“Look, I’m really, really, really sorry. I didn’t…I …” Jonghyun paused for a moment. “C—Can I just see him?”

 

Key’s mother hesitated before answering. “Yes. He’s upstairs, last door on the left.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

Jonghyun made his way upstairs, down the hallways until he found his room. Jonghyun found his room, the door wide open. He invited himself in and saw Key just sitting there, staring blankly out the window on his bed.

 

Jonghyun thought it was time to make his presence known. “Key?”

 

Key looked up at him. “What are you doing here?”

 

“I wanted to see you,” Jonghyun answered.

 

“Oh…Well, I don’t want to see you so you can make your way out now.”

 

“This is important.”

 

“Yeah well I have a flight to catch tomorrow and I need to rest so you can leave now. You have no reason to be here.”

 

“Yes I do.”

 

“Then whatever it is say it now then leave.”

 

“…Don’t leave…” Jonghyun said after a little bit of hesitation.

 

“I have to. Now leave,” Key responded.

 

“No.”

 

“Get out or I’ll kick you out.”

 

“No.”

 

“Fine then”

 

Key rose to his feet and tried to push Jonghyun out of his room. Jonghyun only stopped him and wrapped his arms around his waist. He rested his forehead on Key’s shoulder and breathed in his scent; the scent he missed and yearned for everyday. “Don’t leave,” he whispered into Key’s ear. He pushed himself against Key’s body and the other groaned. They both missed this type of contact with their bodies pressed up against each other after being apart for two years.

 

“Don’t leave,” Jonghyun kept muttering as he placed wet kisses on Key’s neck.

 

Jonghyun was no longer unsure. He was now 100% certain that he was still in love with Key. He always was. He didn’t know why he doubted it for even one second. He was always in love with him. Nothing could change that.

 

They stayed like that for a good few minutes; neither wanted to speak. They both wanted to stay in this moment forever. For this moment they both forgot about what had happened in the past and a new, stronger love between them was restored, just by being like this for a few minutes. Two years of being apart was enough for them. They both decided it was time to be together again.

 

***

 

A year passed after they got back together. That day Key decided to not leave the country and stay with Jonghyun. Not long after the decision was made the promise to not leave each other ever again was sealed with a few amazing rounds of make-up .

 

Key sat down at his table quietly, waiting for Jonghyun to get back with the drinks. The breeze was peaceful. The view of the ocean was beautiful. He was enjoying himself.

 

“I’m back,” Jonghyun said as he sat down opposite Key again and placed the drinks in front of them.


“One question…” Key started.

 

“Go on…”

 

“Why are we on a yacht?” Key asked.

 

“I figured since it was our one year anniversary after getting back together I should plan something. You like?” Jonghyun asked.

 

“Yes. Very much,” Key said and smiled.

 

They sat there at the table. It was a romantic scene as both of them sat at their table, on a yacht, and watched the sun go down slowly.  

 

“Key...” Jonghyun started.

 

“Hmm?” Key responded.

 

“Today is a special occasion,” he said.

 

“I know it is,” Key smiled once again.

 

Jonghyun stood up and signaled Key to stand up as well. Once they were both standing, Jonghyun held both of Key’s hands. He held one up and kissed Key’s knuckles gently. They stood there in the light breeze, just savoring this sweet moment.

 

“Key…” Jonghyun started once again.

 

“Yes?”

 

“I love you so much.”

 

“I know.”

 

“This is the second time I’ll say this, but I want to be with you for the rest of my life.”

 

Key knew exactly where this was going.

 

“And…” Jonghyun continued. “Let’s put what happened three years ago behind us. I love you and you love me too, we’re soul mates, we’re born to be with each other…”

 

After that Jonghyun got on one knee and took out a little black box in his jacket pocket. “So Key, will you marry me…again…”

 

Key was shocked. Sure Jonghyun had done this once before but he was still shocked but so touched. “Yes…” he answered. “Yes I will marry you… again…”

 

They both laughed and hugged each other. Jonghyun kissed him on the cheek and made his way to Key’s sweet lips where he kissed him with passion and love. “I love you.”

 

“I love you too.”

 

They hugged and stayed like that as the sun disappeared; enjoying being in each other’s arms and hearing each other’s soothing heartbeats that only beat for one another. 

 

“I love you so much…” Jonghyun said once again after a long silence.

 

“I promise I’ll never lie to you again.”

 

*** 

 

A/N: Hello, hello~

As you can see, this is my first time posting here on asianfanfics. I've been stalking other people's fanfictions for a while but was too lazy to actually MAKE an asianfanfics to comment XD

I actually wrote this about two months ago. Really sorry if this was...umm...long >_< And sorry for any mistakes.

Still, hope you enjoyed.

Comments are loved. Criticisms not so much... XD