Lover Boy

Lovers

She huffed, completely put off and bored. Her sister should have been home ages ago…and it was her birthday. Didn’t she deserve a little surprise? A present at least?

She sighed again, absent-mindedly brushing her fingers through her hair before standing abruptly. Well, if her sister wasn’t going to come to visit, she’d go visit her.

Her sister lived all the way in Seoul, working as a top professor at Seoul's wealthiest academy, and, of course, working with top-notch students, facility, and pay. Honestly, she couldn't blame her sister for not wanting to come home at times, but a visit would be nice once in a while. 

She walked to the garage of the home, unlocking and climbing into her sister's second car, a black cube car. It was in neither good nor bad condition, but it showed signs of obvious use. She wrinkled her nose at the scent of dust and...was that roses? She raised an eyebrow as she started the engine, pleased at its smooth sound. Did her sister have an admirer? 

One way to find out.

And so she left, gleeful at the ease the car moved.

Her mood was promptly brought down again when the guard at the gate held her up. She didn't look like her sister, but they were sisters for god's sake. She drummed her fingers impatiently on the steering wheel before finally, the old man let her in. When he wasn't looking, she gave him the finger - yes, the bad finger.

She parked beside her sister's first car, a silver camry, and again, she felt envy well up at the vehicle - the latest model too. Slamming the door shut and locking it, she walked towards the large school, raising an eyebrow.

Now what? 

She looked up and down the school, glancing briefly at its tall buildings before walking in. No use standing around.

She wandered the halls, keeping a sharp eye out for the office, but all the shining and simple halls were the same, reading a letter then a number, but none saying where in the world the office was. She huffed, looking around for a student to direct her. 

Luckily, she didn't need to. A single male student, probably around her age, came up to her, hair messy but styled and with a good-looking face.

"Are you lost?" he asked, giving an amiable smile.

"No shi-" She cut off mid-sentence, too used to talking in English. This wasn't California she reminded herself. "Obviously. Can you tell me where the office is?"

"Sure! It's over in A-3," he replied, still smiling. "Are you new here?"

"New? I'm only here to visit my sister," she snorted, rolling her eyes. She didn't do friendly. "Well, later pretty boy. I'm busy." 

Without looking to see what he was doing, she walked off, intent on finding A-3 and upset when she found that she had past it several hallways down.

She entered and after moments of patience - or impatience in her case - someone finally directed her to her sister's room after gushing about how wonderful her sister was. Apparently, her sister taught every subject well, even those that she didn't, and was wildly popular with students, as she was only a year or so older than them. 

Finally she left, fuming. Of course she knew that her sister had a PhD in just about every subject possible. She graduated elementary when people were starting it! She graduated high school by the time most were in the middle of elementary school, and she graduated college three different times by the time most people had graduated middle school! She knew, having lived in her sister's shadow her whole life, but unable to hate her. 

She scowled as she climbed the stairs, giving the few passing students the cold shoulder while ignoring their whispers. 

She opened the door to the room, E-7, without care.

"What's up Sis?" she questioned, giving a smirk when she saw her sister, giving a disapproving but happy glance in her direction.

"We're in the middle of class," her sister said lightly, throwing that all-too-familiar 'what-are-you-doing-here?' look. 

"Come on Sis. It's my birthday. Can't I spend a day with you without interruptions?" she requested, almost begging. She hated begging, lowering herself and putting aside her pride, but she missed her sister. So much. When was the last time they had talked? Was it New Year's? Over 10 months ago at New Year's? 

"You're staying over at my house for the whole month," her sister lightly chided, giving an apologetic but stern look. 

"Sis!~" she whined, unrelenting. "I live in Cali and you live in Seoul. A month has nothing on years.~"

Her sister rolled her eyes.

"Fine. You can stay and help teach the kids here then," her sister decided, a challenge in her eyes. 

She scowled but did so, walking around. The class was English and she frowned at how terrible their grammar was. She could admit that her grammar wasn't too good either, but it was much better than their's. Her sister and she walked around, helping kids out, pointing out mistakes and helping them learn, one with more patience and softness than the other.

Before long, class had ended and so had school. She had sat back while her sister had taught AP Chemistry, Honors Japanese II, AP European History, and Honors Calculus. She was learning these subjects - well, most of them as she was learning Honors Spanish II not Japanese - herself so she stayed silent in the back, bored but much more prepared and much less confused than before. 

"Well Sis, where are we going?" she questioned her sister, eyes brightening as a smile lit up her face. Her sister straightened her papers in silence for a moment before looking up at her. 

"Where do you want to go?" her sister threw back, giving that calming and listening expression that made her smile. 

"Everywhere and anywhere," she answered vaguely. Her sister thought in silence as she packed up her supplies. The door opened gently and a head popped into the room, smiling.

"Noona!" the boy called, walking in despite the visitor. He was wearing the school uniform and by the color of his tie - her sister had explained - she could tell he was the same grade as her. He pulled out roses from behind his back, dark pink roses. "These are for you."

She blinked. Her sister's secret admirer was someone her age.

She gave her sister a horrified look.

"He's only three years younger than me," her sister answered her unspoken question, giving her a knowing, scolding, and dismissing look. 

"He's my age Sis! Isn't this like borderline ia?" she questioned, amazed and disgusted. 

"No," her sister answered succinctly. Her sister got up and took the roses with a small smile. "Thank you Minwoo. They're lovely as always."

"Anything for you," he threw back with a bashful smile. She looked at the male - really looked at him - and grew envious. Despite her roughness (and crudeness), he was exactly her type: cute, tall, sweet, good-looking, smart (she could guess by the A+ paper sticking out of his backpack), and yet still manly. She scowled.

"Who are you lover boy?" she directed at the boy, looking him up and down. Her sister was one lucky girl. Her scowl deepened.

"He's just a student," her sister answered, giving her a scolding look. Her sister turned to the male. "Thanks again Minwoo. They're beautiful." 

Her sister looked between the two of them, eyebrow slightly raised in what she knew was a realization that she herself didn't understand.

"Minwoo, this is my younger sister," her sister introduced.

"Hi," she greeted, giving him her name quickly. He smiled.

"Nice to meet you," he greeted before turning to your sister.

"Lover boy," she muttered under her breath, ignoring her sister's chiding glance.

"Tell Kwangmin, Youngmin, and Jeongmin hello for me," her sister stated with a small smile of her own. She gawked. Her sister rarely smiled.

"I will," he eagerly agreed before leaving, giving a final wave and smile. She looked at her sister, opening to question, but her sister gave her a heavily disapproving look and she shut it.

In silence, the two siblings went down the stairs, her sister stopping by the office to drop off some paperwork and pick up some packets before leaving, bidding them all a good night. All the while, both ignored the gushes about the flowers from 'secret admirers' and the whispers from students.

"Come on," her sister ordered.

"I brought your other car," she pointed out, holding the keys.

"Leave it," her sister half-growled and she complied. She climbed into the passenger seat and her sister into the driver's. The drive home seemed much longer than the drive to her sister's school and though uncomfortable, she didn't dare move. Finally, her sister parked into the driveway, not moving to leave.

"He's a scholarship student," her sister finally said. "I finance his education."

She opened and closed it. She opened it again.

"He brought you roses," she accused and it sounded weak even to her own ears.

"Dark pink roses mean thank you," her sister explained shortly. "I finance his brothers' and cousin's education as well. The four of them live off of profits from their flower shop. I wouldn't take money so they send a bouquet every Friday instead."

The car was silent. 

Her sister left first. 

She slammed her forehead against the dashboard.

Ouch.