Hot Sauce

By the Skin of Our Teeth

F/w- umm there is a bit of language in the beginning of this incase you are sensitive to that kind of stuff (but it isn't bad)

Kibum was not a particularly patient person. Anyone could see that from his tapping foot to his delicately arched eyebrow.  This made the loud Chinese restaurant he worked at, probably the worst place for him to be. Sleazy ‘people’ came for the greasy food that barely passed as edible… much less Chinese. Two men sat at the chipped table in front of him. Both looked less than clean and smelled of something gone sour. Kibum screwed his nose up distastefully.

“I want a bowl of fried noodles. You understand me ?” One of them laughed, reaching behind Kibum to slap him on the .

The young waiter swatted the hand away before smiling sickeningly sweet.

“We can fry more than noodles here…” He smirked giving a vague gesture to the man’s crotch. “So keep your wondering hands where they’re wanted, or in your case to yourself!”

Both paled before the first flushed bright red in anger and said nothing.

“No? Well alright, noodles it is then.” Kibum nodded before turning to the kitchen.

“2 fried noodle bowls. Oh, they wanted some of the new hot sauce too!” Kibum called to the kitchen workers in Chinese.

He was fluent in it for his second language, he picked anything he heard or saw up pretty quickly. It came in handy; he was the only one working at the restaurant that wasn’t Chinese. Some of the staff welcomed him, while others were less than thrilled… and the customers didn’t see a difference or didn’t care.   

“Saego Chu Hot Pepper sauce? Are you sure this time Kibum?” The cook cocked an eyebrow.

“Oh yes, that’s the one!” Kibum smirked down at the short man. The other snorted and went back to work.  

It was five minutes to eight, which was when his shift ended. After that began his job at the local convenience store; Very glamorous. The lighting did however provide better justice to his hair than the lowlights of Tao’s Golden China restaurant.

Kibum made his way out the door after taking the money from his last customers and handing them their food; he smirked knowingly at the strangled cries from inside the restaurant. Kibum paused and nodded at the no refunds sign, it allowed him to keep his job after all. Then he was off to his second job at a pace that would discourage any would-be muggers.

 

...

 

The clock read 12:03 in flashing green numbers. Kibum was exhausted and climbing the flight of stairs to his apartment only made the dragging of his feet more obvious.  He made it to the green door with peeling paint and tried to unlock it only to find it already open.

“Why do I have such a no-good roommate?” Kibum muttered under his breath.

He slipped into the room and locked the door behind him with an audible click. The place was almost pitch black but he maneuvered through the clean floor towards his shared room without problem.

Kibum drew the curtain between himself and his snoring roommate, he did not want to be disturbed… he planned to sleep late into the morning.

 

...

 

Jonghyun's hands slipped on the wet porcelain. The white tub was full of ice cold water. Jonghyun dipped a towel into the water before pressing it to the bruises on his chest and stomach with shaking hands. He thought that it might keep the swelling down and help the bruises heal faster. Broken ribs always seemed to heal in their own time. The cloth was dipped in a second time and he used it to dab his swelling lip and a bump on the back of his head. The water in the tub began to turn a muddy pink color. 

Jonghyun could remember the last time he had a bath or a shower... about five days ago when he came home to find enough oil in the house for a warm wash but he didn't want to think of that right now.

It was fall currently and already pretty cold so Jonghyun pulled the drain out of the tub after a few minutes and rubbed his hair dry and slipped into some loose-fitting ripped jeans and an old sweatshirt; then walked down the long hall to his bedroom. The house was almost totally dark Jonghyun wondered if it was just as dark where ever his father was. In his room he grabbed the feather duvet from the bed and tugged it around himself as he walked into the room across from his. The walls were peach colored but in the half-light he was reminded of washed out color of blood in the bathtub. He shook the memories from his head and scooted under the lone bed in the room. It was dark under there and smelt dusty. The duvet formed a weighty cocoon around him that fought off the cold in the house; there was so rarely oil enough to heat the house.

Jonghyun breathed in, and then let it out allowing the pounding in his body fade as sleep overtook him.

...

a/n

Hello again! Sorry for the way late update, I blame hurricane sandy and my school. The next update might be a little late too, my finals are coming up and I have to apply to colleges and such blegh.

This chapter was meant to be a little funny filler with Key and some key information (haha! you see what I did there?) It was really short so i decided to add a little tid-bit about what was going on with Jonghyun too. I feel so bad for him, he's my bias! But its for the story! I do have a plan here, hope I don't get carried away as i so often do when writing haha.

I'm excited for Thanksgiving coming up because I get to eat noodles! For those of you that celebrate Thanksgiving I hope you have some good food and pie anyway :) Well, I think thats about it, please comment and such. Thank you so much you subscribers and commenters (is that a word? whatever~) I hope your bacon never burns! <3