Running

By the Skin of Our Teeth

 

The night was young, already there were cops on his back.

Jonghyun’s breath pushed harshly past his lips. Running was a terribly often occurrence in his life but tonight just wasn’t his night.

“Yah! You punk, stop!” One of the burly men shouted.

The big lumbering men normally wouldn’t be any trouble but Jonghyun wasn’t in any shape for the strain of this chase. If they caught him they would beat him senseless. No such thing as a proper cop in this rundown corner of city… just his luck.

His eyes swiveled forward as he caught sight of a shape, a moment before he crashed into something small and sharp.

“Oof!” Brown eyes glared up at him.

Jonghyun winced, lifting his weight back off his broken rib or ribs, he wasn’t sure. He pushed himself off the dirty back of bones before attempting to rush off again.

“Yah! Wait--!” The voice faded as Jonghyun made a sharp turn into a darker alley.

It wasn’t that he meant to run into the guy, it was an accident and the company around this place wasn’t exactly of the angelic nature, that kid would have robbed him blind given a chance, without a second thought too. Jonghyun’s back met the dirty stone walls of the alley and he allowed himself to slide down it, wincing. The “police officers” rushed past, their heaving footsteps loud in the empty backstreet. Good. He had finally lost them. It was more difficult than usual.

 Black spots began to swim in front of his eyes and Jonghyun struggled to blink them away. His chest burned with each breath and his muscles aches with each movement. They really worked him over this time.

His legs eased him back up the wall but the dark began spinning sickeningly and the black spots solidified into a dark curtain shutting him off from the world. The last crack of light was soon eclipsed by a figure but that too faded away.

 

-TAEMIN-

It wasn’t such a rare thing for people to run into Taemin but more often than not he ran into them. 

He knew it was most likely a very bad idea to follow the boy who had just run into him but the curiosity was killing him! The guy had looked kind of funny to him, like he was in pain, or disgusted or something, his face all twisted up. The big scary men had already gone away but the other boy hadn’t come out of where Taemin saw him run. In his experience it was never a good idea to linger in any alley too dark to see who might be coming up behind you.  A quick look probably wouldn’t hurt…

Taemin crept along the wall, it made him more invisible. Then he came to the mouth of the alley and peeked in. A dark shape was slumped over the ground. Was the other boy sleeping?

Taemin blinked and tiptoed forward cautiously. He couldn’t see him breathing. Taemin hesitated, not wanting to touch a dead body. He knelt anyway and stuck a hand in front of the other boy’s face, warm air wafted softly out of his lips, not very hard though. It didn’t seem quite right.  Taemin could see the other’s worn sweatshirt and dirty jeans, the dim light of dusk revealed a busted lip slowly oozing blood onto his chin. His clothes weren’t much better than Taemins’ but he looked to be a little worse for wear.

Taemin wasn’t comfortable stealing from people like him but it was best to check, his fingers ghosted over the other boy’s pockets, finding nothing. He shrugged helplessly unsure what to do. If he left him here who knows what would happen. Taemin imagined that some pimp would pick him up and sell him someplace he would be tortured. He had heard of such places, ‘practically modern slaves’ people whispered about the unlucky souls. He shivered at the thought.

A big trashcan across the street caught his eye. It was big enough to block the opening of the alley for a night or two as long as no one came to look over it. Taemin could probably even hide in the alley for the night and leave before the strange boy even woke up. The guy better be grateful.

Throwing a glance  at the slumped figure he began to sneak towards the trash bin.

 

 

A/

Sorry its so short (need to work on that)! This is my first SHINee fanfic, and my second fanfic overall :/ I'm actually more comfortable writing in first person but I hate reading first person so im trying someting else, this story is a bit of an experiment for me, please tell me if anything sounds a little awkward! This chapter wasn't very exciting either I suppose, the next one will be more interesting. I'm not really sure what else to say, but if you read this please comment! I'm still learning as a writer and am not very confident TT_TT One more thing there won't be too many Korean words in this story because I'm learning Japanese right now and don't want to mix myself up, anywho- Bye!!! :D By the way I try to put pictures on and it won't let me! Any ideas??? D: