An Adam Without His Eve

Through the Eyes of Another

I remember when I first met her... It was a white Christmas eve. I watched as my best friend in the whole world open his presents. There was one left, a big box with holes punched in the side. I sniffed at it, catching the scent of another person in the person. I growled at it, standing my ground.

"Come here, Adam," Taemin called, pulling me to his side.

Reluctantly I sat down beside him as he opened the box. Once he opened it, he brought out one of the most beautiful beings I could have ever laid eyes on. That moment, I decided I wanted to be best friends with her, too.

"Omo, she's cute!" Taemin gasped. "I think I'll call you... Eve."

By her actions, I could tell she was excited to meet Taemin... and I was excited to meet her. Once Taemin put her down, I quickly ran over and greeted her.

H-hi! I'm Adam, I greeted, nudging her.

She turned around in surprise and looked at me. She seemed frightened by my greeting.

Oh! Uh, don't be scared! I'm a friend. I'm Taemin's best friend, Adam, nice to meet you, I added quickly.

Um, hi. Sorry, I'm just a little disoriented, she said, tilting her head at me.

So, welcome to the Lee family! If you need anything, don't be afraid to ask me. Um, Taemin will take you to the bathroom when needed, food and water are over here... I quickly led her to the eating area. And you can share a bed with me.

I smiled and quickly pulled my bed beside her. She giggled and nodded at me.

Thank you, she thanked.

For a while, we just sat there in awkward silence. I wanted to do something with her. I wanted to get to know her. I quickly nudged her in the side and ran away.

Tag! I shouted.

Hey! She laughed, chasing after me.

As we wrestled each other, Taemin came over and hugged the two of us.

"I'm glad to see my two kiddos getting along. I love you guys," Taemin said.

We love you, too! The two of us said in unison.

As the years went by, I got closer and closer to Eve. Soon we became inseperable. The week before Taemin left for the SM dorm, I realized something. I realized that I didn't want to be Eve's best friend. I wanted to be more. I wanted to be by her side until the day we die. While Taemin was packing for his move, I watched and listened as Taemin was angered by Eve and put her outside. Slowly I walked over to her and sat down next to her.

Hey, what's wrong? I asked.

She sniffled and cried more. Tae-taemin is leaving! I can't believe it. She whined.

I sat there, uncomfortable. I wasn't sure as to what I could do to cheer her up. Then I remembered something she told me. She said she loved these little flowers called daisies. I quickly trotted outside, struggling to pluck a daisy from the ground. As I ran back in, I stopped in front of the mirror in front of the bathroom and smoothed my hair out. I stopped by a secret stash I hid behind the living room drawers. I quickly grabbed a bone out of the stash and ran to Eve's side. Gently I laid them down next to her and nudged her.

Here, I got these for you. I hope you'll feel better after playing with them. Here, play, I urged, nudging her harder.

You slid across the floor, unmoved. She stood up straight with pride.

No, I have to wait for Taemin! He might be leaving at any minute, she hissed.

But, but I got these just for you... I whined.

No means no! I have to wait for Taemin! Eve shouted. Look, you're seriously being annoying right now. I don't want your charity. Go play by yourself.

I felt my heart shatter to pieces. Dejectedly I took the items and walked away. Suddenly, my heartbreak fumed into anger as Taemin stepped out of his room. As he walked out, I ran up to him and grabbed him by the pant leg, pulling hard and growling.

"Whoa-ho, buddy, what's up?" Taemin asked, crouching down.

He petted me on the head and chuckled. What an insult to injury. God, I wanted to hate him so much. I wanted questions answered, and most of all, I wanted Eve to turn to me. She's always watching after him, never has she looked directly at me and seen that I loved her. I wanted to know. Why won't she look at me? Why is she always blinded by him? What's so special that I don't have? If she would only stop looking at him for a second and turn around, she would find me, ready for her with my arms open. I looked into his eyes as he said his good bye words to me. I sighed.

Though the more I wanted to hate him... he's my best friend and my home, I can't hate him. I followed him to the front door where Eve waited patiently for him. I watched as he said good bye to her and hugged. He then looked up at me.

"You take good care of Eve, okay?" He asked, smiling brightly.

My man, he knows just what to say. You bet you, I'll take good care of her! I replied.

I watched achingly as he left. Eve called after him and it made my heart hurt. After he left, though, I got even closer to Eve. I felt as though I could tell her... but I decided not to. Our friendship is much too precious. I'd rather have her be my friend forever over her being my lover for a while. Taemin visited once in a while and he also video called us a couple of times. Every time he did, it felt like usual again. Just the three of us friends, hanging out together. I was more than happy. It was a paradise for me. But in my heart, I know one thing, I love Eve and I always will.