Christmas EVE

Through the Eyes of Another

I still remember meeting him as if it were yesterday. I was Christmas Eve, 2006. I remember being confused and afraid of all of my surroundings. The new faces, the big people looking down upon me, and much more. Everything seemed to shift and change around me. I was fretful and worried as to where my future would lead me. Then, I met him. Lee Taemin took me in with open arms. At the time, I didn't know my name... I had no name.

"Well, hi there," he greeted me.

Hello, I would reply, unsure of whether I should be afraid or excited.

"You must be frightened. It's alright. I'm a nice guy. I'll be your friend," Taemin said with a beaming smile.

At that moment, I fell in love. Nothing else in the world mattered to me, all I needed was Taemin. Taemin was the first person to give me a name. He named me Eve, after the day we first met, Christmas Eve.

After meeting me, Taemin and I did everything together. We ate together. We slept together. We even bathed together. Sometimes, when Taemin was bored, he would call me into his room and sing to me.

"Come here, Eve. I just finished learning this new song and I want you to be the first to hear it!" Taemin bubbled.

How sweet, I cooed.

I would rush into his room and sit right in his lap, and he would allow it. He'd pull up his guitar, smiling blissfully. His voice was better than a choir of angels and his smile as he sang shined brighter than the sun. I knew that Taemin loved to dance and sing more than anything, and he was amazing at it. Watching him enjoy himself so much made my heart flutter and long more for him.

"So what do you think?" He asked, placing his guitar on the bed.

I think you sounded wonderful! Just like always,  I replied.

"Aw, thanks buddy," Taemin would say, pinching my cheeks and ruffling my hair.

A buddy. That's all I was to him. I wanted to be so much more. I placed my hand on his knee and stared him straight in the eyes. He would look back with a kindly look in his eyes.

Taemin, I love you. I really do. I don't want to be friends. I would beg.

"Aw, I love you, too, Eve," Taemin cooed, putting his hands under my arms and picking me up.

He laid back on his bed, letting his feet dangle off the side. He held me above him and smiled playfully. As he lowered me, he stuck out his lips and planted a peck right on my lips. After recieving a kiss from him, I would always return the favor with a kiss of my own. One on the cheek... on the forehead... on the lips. Taemin could have all my kisses if he wished.

"Oh, yuck, Eve-ee, your gettting slobber all over my face," Taemin would chuckle, wiping his face off.

Oh, sorry. Mind my manners, I apologized.

"Hey, you want to go for a walk?" He asked.

Yes! I shouted, jumping off of the bed.

"Alright, let me go get Adam and we can all go together," Taemin said, rushing off to a different room.

Adam, that's my best friend. We're like two peas in a pod. I was introduced to him the day I met Taemin. For what it seems, Taemin and him were best friends, too. Any best friend of Taemin's is my best friend. Adam rushed into the room, gesturing for me to come out.

Come on! Adam insisted. Let's go for a walk!

I nodded and skipped beside him. Taemin was waiting for us at the front door, pulling his hoodie on. As he opened the door, Adam and I rushed out, jumping into the fall leaves. Taemin would follow our lead and jump in with us. We'd both tackle him and shower him with affection.

"Ah! Ah! Stop guys. Hah," Taemin would laugh.

Hearing him laugh made my heart race a thousand miles.

Soon, he told us of news that nearly shattered my heart to pieces. One day, he began packing up all of his belongs. I would dash back and forth as he gathered things. Occasionally, I would bump into him and he would look at me and smile. He'd reach down and pick me up, raising me into the air.

"Today's the big day, I'm moving out," Taemin said.

My jaw dropped as I froze in astronishment.

What? I asked.

"I'm moving into the SM dorm! I can't wait. My dreams are going to come true!" Taemin said happily, spinning me around.

No, you can'! I shouted, biting him in the hand.

"Yah!" He shouted, dropping me on the ground.

I fell to the ground hard. He looked at me sternly.

"No, bad!" He scorned.

You can't leave! You just can't! I shouted, crying my eyes out.

I began unpacking his suitcase. I pulled out shirt after shirt and scattered them around his room. As I turned around for another one, Taemin gently slapped me across the face. I looked at him in shock.

W-why? I asked.

"Stop being so bad. You go outside until I finish," Taemin reprehended, putting me outside.

I knocked at the door, whining for him to let me in, but he ignored me. I shouted and howled through the door, but he still refused to open it. Soon he was finished and ready to leave. Before exiting the door, he turned to me, whom was sitting there, waiting ever so patiently for him to notice me. He crouched down and looked me in the eyes. I looked into his big soulful, brown eyes and saw the heartbreak he was experiencing, too.

"Eve, it's time for me to go. I will come back to visit, I promise!" Taemin said. I looked away in sorrow. "I just want you to remember one thing. Every day when I open my eyes in the morning and close my eyes at night, you are always next to me. That’s the happiest time of the day. Let’s always be together for the start and end of everything for a long time! I love you more and more everyday. I will surely miss you, tons! I love you, Eve."

I love you, too. I weeped.

We hugged good bye and he kissed me one last time before leaving. As he had said, he came back from time to time to visit us. I cherished every moment I could with him. Occasionally, he would video call us. He even thanked Adam and I in one of his latest albums. He made me a very happy girl. One day, he came home crying from overworking. I went up to him and slapped him across the face then wiped away his tears.

Stop crying! Be strong! If I could stay strong every day you were gone, then the least you could do for me is stay strong in doing what you love. I lectured.

"You're right," Taemin sniffed. "Thank you."

You go back to what you do the best... being Taemin... and I, Eve, will wait here for you, every day, until the day you come home.

Every time he had to leave, it hurt. The more I look at him, the more I long for him. I just want to be with him, but I know it's not possible. It doesn't matter to me... it's all worth while to see him smile. That's enough to content me. And true to my words, I did wait for him. Everyday I sat at the door, wagging my tail; waiting.