Solace on a solstice night

June Solstice

"YA, wake up! You lazy !" screamed Jiyong as he threw a pillow in my face. I mumbled a few words, irritated to have my sleep disturbed. "You're going to be late for work," he continued. I lazily threw my blanket off the bed and walked towards my roomate, absent-mindedly running a hand through my hair. "Are you sure you're a girl? You're a sight to behold in the morning," he mocked.

"Kwon Ji Yong, if you don't shut up I'm showing your girlfriend that picture of you in your mum's high heels when you were five," I said as I gave him a death glare. It wasn't 4pm yet, and I hadn't had my coffee. I had a rough day at work yesterday, falling asleep only at 6am, and my best friend's mockery did nothing to make the mood any better. I trodded to the bathroom and welcomed the warm rain of water that poured down my body. Absolute bliss. I wrapped my hair in a towel and changed quickly. My ocd meant that i always chose what I was going to wear one day before. Today I wore my Boy Eagle shirt with a gold bandage skirt, a comme des down snapback and my adidas sneakers. I was in a bad mood and needed the comfort of my favourite clothes. To fit the lazy look, I threw my hair up in a messy bun and put on my cartier watch before grabbing my bag and rushing out of the house.

"Not so fast!"Jiyong said as I was about to step out into the blistering 9am heat of the Californian sidewalk.

"Ya, you know i love you, but I'm running late!" I said with a tinge of annoyance, seeing the second hand on the watch ticking away.

"Jja jan!" holding a plate of cupcakes lighted with candles infront of my face."Its your birthday you , make a  wish!" he said. My heart constricted and tears threatened to fall from my eyes. I blew out the candles and thanked him. He placed the plate on the kitchen countertop and I engulfed him in a hug. "Don't worry about anything, everything will be fine. You know I'll be here for you," he said as he ran his hands up and down my back, comforting me. It was as though he could read my mind. It was like he knew my mind went back to the time where I last celebrated my birthday. At his touch, I pushed the memories away and smiled, for today would be a better day. With the morning surprise, I knew it would be. 

"I'll be back early today so we can go out! And thanks for remembering Ji," I said with heartfelt emotion, turning to leave for work.

I stepped into the Givenchy studio where I was the main fashion consultant, hoping for a day without any stuck up barbie blonde customers, and was shocked to find the entire store in dissary. The store was never this messy, and coming up with the only logical explanation that I could think of, I ran up to Bom, the manager and asked, "What happened? Did we get robbed? Did you call the cops?"

"No no, no robbery. But we are mad busy," Bom said with a sigh, pulling me aside. "See that blonde sitting there?" she nodded her head towards a blonde sitting on one of our plush chairs, that i had failed to see in my haste when entering the store. 

"Another one again?" I lamented and Bom gave me a look of pity as she told me that the dumb blonde required my asssitance. "Where do all these dumb blondes come from? They must get laid by rich playboys. In five years this poor girl will be taking care of her child, looking for another sugar daddy," I mused as I approached the young lady and gave her the warmest welcome, asking politely if I could be of any assistance. I tried controlling my anger as the lady looked me from head to toe, and her next words made me sure that the day was going to be a long one.

"Don't you have any nice clothes? Why are you dressed so sloppily," said the blonde with a nasal voice.

"Sorry ma'am, it's a Friday and we dress casually on Fridays," I managed with a smile. "Now, is there anything I can help you with?" I got ready for a long long long day of catering to the needs of this crazy bimbo who thought the world revolved around her. After three hours of attending to her, she finally seemed satisfied, and picked up her phone, calling her sugar daddy to pay for her. I instructed the assisstants to pack up her items and decided to leave early. Dealing with the crazy lady had given me a headache and the incesstant pounding had become unbearable. I had my head in my hands on my way out and kept my head down for fear of invigorating it. The next thing i knew, I was on the ground and saw a blurry head of blue approach me. The young man had walked directly into me, and my inertia kept me from stopping and I had collided into him. 

Still stunned, I could do nothing but stare. I unconsciously marvelled at his amazing bone structure. "Miss, are you alright?" he said with a slight smirk, noticing that I had been staring. My face turned red and I groaned inwardly. Honestly, how much worse could this day get! I picked up my bag and brushed away his questions of concern, eager to get back to the comfort of my car. Standing up, I felt faint and stumbled as I tried to take a few steps forward. "I think you need a ride," he didn't even bother waiting for my reply as he led me towards the black bmw that he opened the passanger door to. I knew I shouldn't have accepted the ride but my mind was too messed up to think straight.

 

 

** so much for being a one-shot