Knock-out (Part I)

Trinity

 

“Let us all pray and thank God for gathering us all together on this beautiful afternoon to share with this lovely couple as they exchange vows of their everlasting love…”

Luhan nudged Kai hard enough to have him stop yawning halfway, almost choking at the impact done over his upper three left ribs while the older brother was just satisfyingly smiling with the mask of innocence glued on his face. Despite the look of purity and composed manners, Luhan wasn’t any much different from his ignorant younger brother. Physically, yes but internally, no.
Kai’s a little bit on the blunt ingenuous side while Luhan contrarily supported a rather matured and gentler character but put them together, we’re going to get the set of mischievous young men with extra trouble coated on top.

“Hyung, I’m going to die. I swear another minute here, I’ll die. Seriously, what are we doing wasting our very own precious time here when we could go around enjoying the best champagne instead? And to make matters worse, I don’t even like that chick.”
Collecting his complains into a whisper, Kai jabbed a finger towards the bride currently standing before the priest with a smile which he deemed fake because in reality, all she could care of was to kill someone or pushed them over to the edge of their seats. And Kai hadn’t really gotten over the fact that she once ruined his opportunity to fish out the greatest jackpot ever when he almost succeeded in courting the mayor’s daughter, thanks to her superb bad-mouthing skill.

“Trust me Kai, if Mom isn’t being so much like an opportunistic murderer right now, I would have probably saved you and myself already.”
Kai glanced over at their mother the same exact moment as Luhan spoke to find the middle aged woman seated two rows before them, just wide-eyed staring in case her sons would get their hands into trouble again.

Tapping his foot impatiently by his seat, Kai had his eyes wandering around every corner, not missing any bit of details inside this church and he totally lost count of how many times he actually dozed off in between the tedious speech of the wedding minister. Mom was still glaring and Dad was shooting lasers, not at him but at Uncle Changsuk because of some internal conflicts regarding water tank supplies and trust issues, things that Kai would love to not care.

Being the only grandsons in their big family that’s flooded with daughters everywhere, Luhan and Kai owned the privileges of being the first ones for consideration in any kinds of situations because honestly there’s nothing more pleasing than having a grandson-biased Grandma with loads of fortune riding behind her back. Wealth and good looks ran inside their genes so it was almost as if they had the world and girls especially, wrapped around their fingers with luxurious cars served as their playthings.

Loyalty was never a problem between the brothers because to be quite honest, there were only two things in this world that Kai could actually spent his time worshipping –Luhan hyung and himself.
When they’re together, despite everything that could go wrong, there was never a regretful moment because to these boys, growing up wouldn’t be perfect without a bit of messy spots here and there. World revolved around them but they brought up revolution through rebelling Mom’s uptight orders and watched Dad pulling out his hair every time he got his pockets drained out of cash to bail the boys out on rare occasions involving traffic and police.

As mentioned, Kai and Luhan probably had the major differences visible to eyes strictly in their physical appearance because the same minds working together was the only reason why they clicked so well with each other. While other sets of siblings normally got on each others’ nerves, Kai and Luhan did the exact opposite thing; they shared everything they owned, talked just about anything without one side judging another no matter how ridiculous the matter was so we could conclude that they’re just a pair of brothers madly appreciative of one another.

“If anyone objects this marriage, let them speak now or forever hold their peace.”

Kai’s eyes lighted up with an impish sign of evil smirk appearing at the corner of his lips which Luhan was fast to notice, “Kai, DON’T.” he grabbed the younger boy by the wrist but fast reflex had always been Kai’s advantage when he dodged away and rose up at an instant, “-What the heck, Kai-“

“ME!”
Luhan clumsily fished out his car keys from his pocket, having the foreshadowing of what would happen next currently previewed before his eyes. Kai would do something stupid, the guests would gasp in horror and disbelief, Mom would sharpen her knife and chop their heads off by tonight while the bride a.k.a grouchy older cousin would hate them forever and probably stopped baking them sweet cupcakes for life.

“Nah, just kidding.” Waving his hand off, Kai heartily chuckled at the general panicked look of everybody inside the church as he, in a split second became the centre of attention in the middle of a holy formal ceremony. Mom’s eye roll accompanied by Dad’s grumpy face was adding exhilaration into the situation when he handsomely pulled off a devil’s smile,

“…KISS MY , JUNG YOOMI!”

As if on cue, Luhan lurched straight towards the only exit that felt like a thousand kilometres away having Kai following him close behind, proudly laughing in vain and half insanity that poured out with obvious satisfaction over their mother’s let-me-just-die expression, helplessly grabbing the back of her neck. Luhan didn’t even try to analyse anybody’s stunned look but he got a glimpse of Mom’s face and he knew for real, it was just a matter of time before the poor lady finally came up with the idea of disowning these troublesome sons of hers.

“You are an , Kai! What the hell were you thinking?!”
With the loud echoes of screaming Kim Jongin’s name behind serving as the background theme song of this miserable yet sweet escape, Luhan found extra time to nag at his brother’s explicit attempt to ruin the once-in-a-lifetime ceremony,
“Oh come on, hyung. Admit it. This saved you from drowning into further boredom, right?”
Chortling in between the panting breaths, Kai accidentally caught a glance of a young girl standing just at the corner by the entrance, simply donning a white strapless dress and an amused smile plastered over her strikingly gorgeous face when she snapped a picture of them heading towards the exit. And honestly, if they weren’t actually rushing from getting themselves slaughtered by Mom, Kai might have considered stopping for a second to hand her a generous offer of joining him for a Han River private dinner cruise with a bottle of Château Lafleur.

Kai was towed forward with floating steps when Luhan grabbed him by the sleeve of his tuxedo, rushing to their personal pumpkin carriage with a speed that without something threatening their lives, could never be achieved at any cost. Silently, he smiled.

“Dibs.”

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

 

A week gone by and it almost seemed like nothing happened because despite their parents going ape about Kai’s interruption and all, Grandma’s authority took over and as said, there was nothing the boys could do to actually have themselves disowned by their grandmother.
It didn’t matter anyway to be quite honest because it wasn’t even a serious issue if compared to what he had actually done previously; burning down a hotel room and a misunderstanding of being a e because he couldn’t shrug off a twelve year old extremely fanatical crush on him.

“Just promise that you won’t start a mess anymore, PLEASE.”
It was more like a plea instead of a strict order coming from their father’s mouth and it was fascinating to Kai because it made him felt like King while Luhan on the other hand, remained oblivious with a straight face but an entangled mind inside.

When Luhan dragged Kai hastily towards his Audi R8 later, he didn’t found the need to explain a word to have his younger brother sporting an intelligent look with a predicted smile under his nose. They had been growing up together after all, slept in the same room, breathed the same air and worked the same mind since forever, sharing their underwear even so that explained the remarkable level of communication they had between them.

“Let me guess.” Kai tapped his index finger over his lips with a whimsical smile forming on his face,
“…you’re about to dump another clingy girlfriend, huh?”
“You know me well.” Luhan smirked, signalling Kai to take over the driving today while he seated himself by the passenger’s seat with a notebook and a pen in his hands as if he’s ready to take up important knowledge from Kai, a sight normally seen every time it involved breakups.

“…Now, Master. Let’s go with a devastating ending this time.”

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Jotting down everything while holding in her breath, she really wanted to slam the tray against this loutish lady twice for without reason, yelling at her but the sight of Manager Kim stopped her intention that was nearly about to be fulfilled if only she didn’t have losing her job as the major risk. Juggling between study and a job which she had developed a love-hate relationship with, Yoona knew it wasn’t going to be easy but it really wasn’t something she did out of choice.

Maybe if she was born with a silver spoon in then, wasting time serving as a part time waitress here in this bistro wouldn’t have been included in her timeline. Perhaps the happy smile from the regular customers of this place was the only reason why she still found the will to continue, apart from the money of course.

Her attention was drawn over towards a lonely male customer walking in and on impulse, she grabbed the menu booklet and walked over to the table by the window where he was taking his seat at. Passing in front of the same lady who she had some internal conflicts with just now, Yoona suppressed her inner desire to purposely fake an accident of maybe dropping a glass of water over the lady’s laps or maybe something more tragic like spilling chilled lobsters on her bushy blonde hair.

/, Kai! I forgot the eye drop!/
Sighing, Kai listened attentively to Luhan’s panicked complain as he stared at the bottle of solution which was supposed to be in Luhan’s pocket, not his.
/Is it believable if I don’t cry? I mean, we made up stories that I’m leaving this country for good so it’d be plain weird and fishy if I can’t even drop a tear, right?/
/Just don’t blink, hyung./
/What?/
/Trust me, don’t blink for few seconds and your eyes would naturally tear up. Good luck, I’ll be waiting here in this bistro on the opposite road so see you soon, BYE!/

Kai hung up on the phone, laughing wildly at the sound of Luhan’s voice anxiously begging him to not end the call but really, what’s the point of being a younger brother if not to annoy and irritate, right?
“Let’s see if you can beat the record of last time’s breakup.” He muttered, looking up at the side of the table to find a girl standing with a booklet in her hands, patiently waiting for him to stop laughing like an evil witch right now so she could just do her job peacefully and planned another subtle way to provoke an accident towards an anonymous lady who was born rude.

Handing him the menu, Yoona waited for Kai to flip over the pages, checking out on the current demands and special offers while she silently hummed an entire song inside her mind.
Yoona was high in oblivion but Kai was pretty much alert with his eyes glancing over at her in between the seconds, recalling a particular event and that was when he finally closed upon the booklet and handed it back to her with an upward contour at the left end of his lips,

“Any recommendation?” he asked and had her quickly in attentive mode again after seconds of staying still, looking like a real life mannequin,
“The seafood’s pretty good.” She said.
“I’m allergic to seafood.” Kai tilted his head slightly to his right, looking up at her who seemed rather enthusiastic while listing all the hot-in-demand cuisines,

“…But I have yet to acquire immunity against naturally attractive people.” Like you.
Yoona almost burst into laughter at the amount of cheese and grease and everything that was currently curling up her fingers and toes but she fixed a smile on her face out of being polite.
“Oh…I see.” She cleared off in an awkwardly funny manner with her palm covering the mouth that was struggling to hold in a possible laughing frenzy.

“Sorry.” Kai shrugged, leaning back against his seat with a playful expression on his face.
“Don’t worry.” She said, “…I’ve heard worse.”
“Ouch.”
With her pair of crystal clear eyes slightly curving into half moon shapes when she giggled, Yoona continued on talking and before he could part his lips to respond, she was interrupted by a fellow waitress, tapping her once on the shoulder.

“Manager Kim needs you. In the kitchen. Now.”
Yoona dropped into silence at an instant, giving Kai a short glance about the right time when she noticed the upward curve took a downward one as she headed straight towards the kitchen with her friend taking over what she had left unfinished.

With the abrupt change, Kai didn’t find it necessary to keep the nerdy looking waitress any longer than fifteen seconds when he dismissed her with an order of just about anything he randomly came across on the menu.  

Gorgeous brunettes with voluptuous bodies, cutesy girls with exact images of manga characters and even within the bunch of hot noonas flooding the scene, Kai still found himself repetitively following the plain beauty actively going around back and forth with her ponytail bouncing over her shoulder. He could have paid full attention without getting bored but his stomach was demanding food and Kai had to deviate half of his attention on feeding himself instead.

“Done!”

Sound of keys dropping over the table snapped his mind out of the thoughts and looking up, Kai found his brother plopping onto the chair in front of him with a victorious look on his face which caused Kai to quickly flick his left wrist and noticed the time. Ten minutes.

“The last time required you nine minutes though but considering that this one’s rather clingy, I’ll still roll the credits out for you.” Kai replied with a boyish giggle, clapping his hands dramatically but stopped when Luhan kicked him under the table.

While listening to Luhan’s story that was conducted 95% similar to what Kai had pre-planned earlier in the car, their laughter got a little too out of control when the younger one learned about the mishaps and flaws which twisted the whole story going from we should break up because I’m leaving on a jet plane soon to further study into a we should break up because I’m leaving on a jet plane soon to cure my cancerous body kind of story.

“Cancer is overrated and outdated, mind you. You’re ridiculous, hyung, really you are.”
“Ridiculous I might be but she believed me, okay and as far as I’m concerned, that’s the only thing that matters now so your argument is invalid and I’m hungry.”
Kai rolled his eyes in shock when Luhan just snatched his platter set and started munching on the food but the wrinkles on his forehead smoothened as fast as they appeared because there wasn’t even a reason for him to frown at first place. Sharing food was common, as often as sharing every other thing except for their kicks because Kai was one size bigger and it’s a curse that Luhan actually had a feet complex with his second toes being longer than his big toes.

Luhan’s bubble tea arrived on the table and he could just raised an eyebrow when Kai snatched it away from him, taking quick gulps that it was in a second, left half empty.
“Congratulations on your attempt to annoy me. Ha-Ha.” Luhan spoke with a full mouth when he pushed the platter back to his brother in exchange for his favourite bubble tea.
“I’m flattered.” Kai responded, stabbing a fork into the piece of white meat, “…Don’t be so sarcastic, hyung. Everything yours is mine after all, no?”
Scoffing, Luhan sipped down the drinks when his eyes inadvertently contacted those of the girl standing by the counter who seemed to be wearing a different kind of aura from every other person in this place right now.

“Whoa.”
Kai stopped munching as he noticed the stunned look on Luhan’s face and instinctively, he whipped his head towards the direction the older guy was looking at, “What?”
His eyes dropped onto the same figure he had been studying since few minutes ago and Kai felt strong palpitation of his heart when he turned back to look at Luhan,
“Hyu-“
“Dibs!” Luhan shot up from his seat, the exact moment Kai felt his heart banging against his thoracic wall when he could just curse silently inside. It was just half a millisecond too late and their bro code was something too holy to be broken hence Kai was left with no choice but to keep his silence while he witnessed how his brother was buzzing over that same girl he was eyeing a moment ago.

And frankly speaking, this could have just passed as a turning point to finally prove that not everything was meant to be shared between them after all.

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

A/N : So, I've decided to break this story into parts because I've been taking too much time to update and I'm feeling really sorry to all my subscribers. Here's part one, just a boring introduction and the fun would come up next but this third story won't be pure fluff like the other two.