Let's Be Nice, For Once

Being Nice is Hard

AN: Please read the bottom of the chapter for some notes after :)


 

~Saturday~

 

 

Saturday’s meant a packed schedule and little to no sleep. But this particular Saturday was quite different. To say Sunggyu finally cleaned up his act is an understatement. He paid special attention to Sungjong the entire day, but of course, with some restraint (he has a reputation to uphold you know). 

 

He started things off with a not so subtle sign in the morning. Sungjong just found himself waking up next to a very familiar bear with a note attached to it. 

 

“Just take care of only me.” 

 

Simple. Cool. Very Sunggyu-like. 

 

Sunggyu had no idea how hard it was to act like him until that day. If he had known that making things up to Sungjong would be hard, he would’ve done right by Sungjong since day one. But he knew that was impossible, especially with someone as incredibly infuriating, unforgettable and special as their maknae.

 

*He lost track of how many fansites he went to, just to figure out where exactly he can get an exact replica of Sungjong’s last teddy bear. He went through all the facts the fans knew about Sungjong, like simple stuff he overlooked or stuff he already knew. The entire time he was convincing himself that he was not at all being creepy. 

 

He then proceeded to avoid Sungjong as much as possible early in the morning. He continued to act like his normal self, forcefully calming down his frantic heartbeats when Sungjong looked at him. Pretending to read the newspaper when Sungjong was greeted by his favorite breakfast in the kitchen table. Making up some lame excuse about morning skin care when Sungjong smiled and looked like he wanted to talk. 

 

It wasn’t the right time. 

 

They had a photoshoot that day. It was at some building down at Hongdae, which was conveniently near a place Sunggyu had always wanted to take Sungjong but never had the time. Everything was normal. Nothing out of the ordinary, and Sunggyu hoped Sungjong would stay oblivious. Both Sunggyu and Sungjong even had a couple of shots together. And with each take, Sungjong would look at him curiously. Sunggyu only ruffles his hair and tells him to focus on their job, which is something he does all the time. But he still hopes Sungjong does not notice the slight tremble in his hands. 

 

Just a couple more hours.

 

It wasn’t until the end of the photoshoot when Sunggyu really worries. He had constructed a plan with the staff for Sungjong to finish and get ready to go home last. The rest of the members and managers have gone, wishing him luck and sending him winks he is too nervous to even be bothered by. He had gone down a path alongside their building, and into another one. Setting up rows of yellow balloons to guide the path. It wasn’t dark yet, the neighborhood was nice and quaint. He knew Sungjong would like this a lot. He went up a few flight of stairs, now littered with **one yellow tulip every few steps, into a rooftop garden of the cafe he knew Sungjong would like. And then he waited. His back facing the door, and with the final tulip in his hands.

 

Sunggyu had to fight the urge to not cooly turn around when he heard a tiny gasp a few minutes later.  He forced himself to calm down when Sungjong slowly started walking towards him. He tried to not look like an idiot with Sungjong looking every bit as beautiful as the garden they were at. 

 

“I guess I should explain myself huh?” Sunggyu nervously asked as Sungjong accepted the tulip he held, nodding slightly with expectant eyes.

 

“The truth is,” Sunggyu started, “I was a jerk. I’m sorry I reacted badly when you replaced your bear with the other members. I know I should’ve handled it better but I really like you, Sungjong. I want to be the one you confide on--whether or not I’m the cause of your stress and you just want to punch me. I want to be the one to give you hugs, to be able to comfort you when you cry. I really like you, and it is completely okay if this is awkward for you, because it is, and it is okay for you to say no so-“ 

 

Sunggyu would have continued his uncharacteristic rant if it weren’t for Sungjong’s fingers on his lips. All he could do now was stare at Sungjong who he now realizes is looking like he is about to cry.

 

“Hyung, I think you misunderstood.”

 

Oh. 

 

Sunggyu was pretty sure he just felt his heart sink down to his stomach. But he couldn’t do or say anything. 

 

“I never replaced you. I mean, I guess I was? But I was just trying to be nice! I didn’t think you like the fact that the bear was named after you and-“

 

Sungjong laughed and removed his hand that was covering Sunggyu’s mouth, slapping it on his forehead and then looking at Sunggyu with the happiest of smiles.

 

“I’ve been acting foolish this week because of the same reason as you hyung. I like you too. I like you a whole lot.” 

 

∞∞∞∞∞∞

 

If you ask Sunggyu what happened that day, he would have just glared at you and said:

 

“We were at a coffee shop. What do you think happened? We ate Italian food? Get lost.”

 

Because only Sungjong would have felt the crushing hug Sunggyu gave him. Only he would have seen the way Sunggyu’s eyes disappeared when he smiled. And maybe, only Sungjong would have heard Sunggyu’s cheer from that rooftop. It was really loud so who knows? 

 

 


*This is just an assumption. I honestly have no idea where Sungjong got his bear from. I tried asking around but noone knew TT

**Yellow tulips mean "There's Sunshine in Your Smile" courtesy of http://www23.brinkster.com/romanticcouples/meaning-of-flowers.html