One

Love Affair: The Immortal Vow

The town, or what remained of it, lay in ruins before him. And embedded in the deathly landscape was the unmistakable portrait of triumph holding hands with despair. The Imperial Crown, once again, had prevailed. The fruits of victory gained by the High King’s warriors in their defense of his honor had been sown viciously into the cold earth, where lives had been ended and blood had been shed. His Majesty’s glory would be celebrated by those who worshiped him, at the crack of dawn, amidst the acrid smoke, upon the dead bodies of the husbands, wives, sons, and daughters of his rival HanJoo.

 


The man whose legendary leadership and renowned battle skills that had brought about this momentous occasion was none other than Seoul’s most prized champion. He stood, with legs braced apart, surveying his handiwork with the nonchalance of a man born into a life of fighting. Not even the sight of the burnt body of a young girl three paces off to his right evoked an ounce of remorse in his soul. He was far from sorry for the havoc and killings that had erupted at their arrival. Everything had been done in the name of the High King. The siege of this town was nothing more than a small stepping stone towards Seoul’s greater goal. It was only the beginning of countless more invasions to come, battles that would be bloodier and more devastating, until the King of Ilsan would finally be forced to choose between slowly bleeding to death and swearing fealty to the Imperial Crown. In this historic battle between two formidable rulers, there would no middle ground.
 


And yet there was something morbidly special about this small overtaking, something vastly significant to one broken life. To the battle-hardened warrior, this one seemingly ordinary siege meant more than all the greatest combats he had fought and won.

 

This one small victory marked the first day of reckoning for the sins of the past.
 


Today marked the beginning of his vengeance.
 


With the wind blowing about him and the colors of dusk illuminating his golden head, Choi Junhong, trusted friend of His Majesty, most feared warrior of the Asian lands, the greatest soldier Seoul has ever delivered, closed his eyes and remembered his reason…

 

---

 

 

I've had this story in my folders for the longest time ever. I keep changing the characters. Hopefully, I finish it now! :D

Zelo is almost always portrayed as an innocent kid. I do see that innocence. At the same time, I always sense something deeper to him, especially when he performs. So this is my take to that sheathed lethality.