Cracks that were never sealed

Welcome Back

A matured Stephanie Hwang sat with her estranged "best friend". A small gust of wind shook the parasol above them.

 

"Jessica, we haven't spoken much, have we?"

 

The brunette sitting before her could only nod curtly in agreement. Stephanie bunched up the table cloth with hands that were once so delicate. She continued on with an only, slightly noticeable tremble in her voice. 

 

"Why Jessica? Why haven't we spoken in so long?" Jessica gaze never left the floor. Stephanie slammed her fists on the table, tearing at bits of the unfortunate table cloth. Why was Jessica such a stubborn woman? Tiffany, better known now as Stephanie, finally heard Jessica's soft voice trickle out.

 

"We don't converse anymore because there is no need, now." 

 

Her voice was so serene, it seemed to snap something within Tiffany.

 

"What do you mean, 'there isn't a need'? Am I not wanted in your life anymore?" Her voice rose in volume with her rapidly increasing anger. Jessica turned to face the large, gray clouds. 

 

"Quite the opposite, actually." Tiffany's anger vanished, along with some of her obliviousness.

 

"You think you aren't desired in my life?" A passive look was all she got in return. Stephanie nodded in understanding.

 

"This... has to do with my pregnancy, doesn't it?" A chair was forced backwards. It tilted on its legs 'till it fell to the floor. When Tiffany looked up, Jessica was gone. Two small drops of liquid was all that documented her presence.


***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************


 

"I'm tired of this! I'm tired of everything! You're never home, we hardly speak, and when we do, we just end up arguing! The kids barely see you around anymore! This morning, SOOYOUNG CALLED YOU, DONGHAE." The man's jaw dropped. He pressed his face into his palms, rubbing harshly. Tiffany pinched the bridge of her nose.

 

"That isn't all. Donghae, tell me when you started wearing Sarrah Jessica Parker's perfume? Last time I checked, that was a woman's collection."  He froze instantly.  Tiffany in a shaky breath, slamming a stack of papers on their kitchen table. 

 

"Sign them, and and get out." 


After many hours, Tiffany slammed her apartment door shut.

 

"Why did I ever marry such an idiot?" She waltzed around her apartment aimlessly until her eyes landed on a picture of an old friend. 

 

"It's been a long time, hasn't it? Five years really takes a toll on the heart, y'know, Jessica?"


************************************************************************************************************************************************************************


A blonde haired girl stepped in to her newly refurbished home. She then proceeded to step outside, looking around the neighborhood as if she were searching for anything that wasn't a part of the normality. She breathed out a long sigh before hopping off the steps of her house. Jessica walked over to a tree, resting a hand on its bark. A crudely carved initial was tattooed to the tree. 

 

"It's been quite a while since we've spoken, right my old friend?" A honk was the only sound that disturbed this usually quiet neighborhood. Jessica looked to the sound. 

 

"Ah, I should really start un-packing the van..."


Once Jessica finished the troublesome task of un-loading her belongings, she laid herself down on her grassy lawn. She pulled out a left-over piece of wood and a carving knife.

 

"I've done this about a million times but... maybe this time, it'll help me relax." With her goal set, she got started on creating a magnificent work of art!

 

Her back rested against a tree as she whittled the fairly large piece of wood. Her eyebrows furrowed deeply. She concentrated for about another 2 minutes before giving up completely.

 

"Argh! I don't even like whittling!" She tossed the worthless kindle backwards. The expected rustle of it hitting the ground never came. She stiffened immediately.

 

"Oh no..."

 

A loud, "hey," was perceived through her ears. She cringed as the sound of footsteps drew closer. The anxious blonde breathed deeply before turning around, hoping the confrontation wouldn't be too horrible. 

 

"Jessi?" Jessica swerved around, steadily looking at the now red-headed woman. The frown on the woman's face suddenly became a joyous grin. 

 

"Welcome back, Jess." The woman held her hand out to Jessica.

 

"We have a lot to catch up on." 


A/N: Well, now wasn't that pleasantly strange to write? It was short, I know... but I don't usually write like this on AFF. By the way, I  have very low expectations of stories here... especially the s. *cringes* I do, however, know of many fanfics that really aren't cringe-worthy. ONE OF THEM, BEING ******. Yeah, I censored it. GUESS. It gives your brain a work-out.