His like

One of the Guys

 

“What the heck are you doing? That’s wrong!” “Incorrect!” “That’s not how you do it!” “Aish! Focus to what is being said!” “How in the world did you get that answer? Are you a magician to be able to come up of random numbers out of nowhere?”

“Zico don’t be too shy to say ‘idiot’ ‘stupid’ next if you have to,” I said a bit annoyed holding myself back from venting my annoyance at him, our one and only tutor.

“I didn’t have to, you just did,” I crumpled my paper feeling frustrated. We’re at our house studying. We have been at it since ten in the morning for two hours and I still don’t get it. We changed subjects to subjects trying out the easiest first but all of them are hard. Who cares about pi and all that stuff? The only pi I care about is the one that fills in my stomach.

I stood up and bang my hands on the table. “You know…” He smacked my head with a rolled up worksheets before I could finish my sentence. “Ow!”

“Concentrate!” I could hear laughter erupting behind me.

“Why am I the only one who gets treated like this! I’m only as bad as them,” I pointed at L and Kyung sitting on the floor in the living room. I was at the kitchen on my own with this horrible teacher giving me special treatment. I sat back down and grumbled to myself.

“Don’t categorize us as you Maki-chan,” L yelled from the living room. “We only did half as badly as you did.”

“Hmph! How can I understand it when this impatient teacher mocks every mistake!” I yelled back crunching my nose at Zico.

“Just do well then!”

“How! If I know I wouldn’t even need help!” Kyung walked up to the kitchen chuckling and stood beside Zico.

“Come on let’s all take a break for a little bit and come back to studying after, before everyone starts throwing stuff at each other,” he chuckled putting a hand on Zico’s shoulder. I immediately perked up when I heard we’re taking a break. ‘Break’ was another one of my favorite subjects.

“Maki …” Zico was muttering to himself as he headed to the living room; I made a face at him. Kyung stayed with me. I smiled at him; my saviour.

“Maki don’t worry about it. You’ll get it in time. He’s really a good teacher.”

“Yeah I know. But we all know I have short attention span and Zico is an impatient teacher,” he chuckled in agreement. I walked over to the fridge looking for a something to eat. There was nothing there. I went to the cupboards and there was nothing there either. I frowned.

“There’s nothing to eat here,” I said. “Ima take a nap. Wake me up when break’s over.” I slumped over the table. There’s nothing to eat, might as well go to dreamland for a bit before studying back with my wonderful teacher.

“Ha? What no!” He walked over to me and pulled my arm. “Come on let’s buy something to eat.”

I grunted. “I don’t want to. It’s so far and I’m lazy.”

“My treat!” I suddenly looked up as if I regained my energy. He laughed, “Come on.”

-          - - -

We came out of the store and on our way home. I had an ice cream and a bag of snacks in my right hand and Kyung under my left arm. I was walking like drunk man, swaying side to side, because of my free treats.

“Maki don’t lean on me too much. You’re heavy!” He said as he struggled to walk.

“This is how I show how happy I am,” I laughed. “Denk byu!” I said with a mouthful ice cream. He chuckled. We were silent for awhile finishing our ice cream. “Ne Kyung, could you rap for a bit.”

He didn’t say anything back; he just started rapping.

 

 

You’re my sun and in front me, you’re just a child
Whoever dares to mess with you, I won’t let them get by
One two three four
And when I close my eyes as I count till 5
You come closer to me and when I see you
My cheeks turn slightly scarlet
My facial expression as well as my body freezes up
Yeah that’s right, is it because I’m in front of you?
As if I was the molded lava from the volcano that exploded
I won’t go anywhere and stay put in protecting you
From now on, I’ll get in the habit of being silent
Trust me whenever and without you, I’ll go crazy
I’ll only think of you. Why? Because I promised myself 

Lyrics from one of Kyung’s mixtape “Lovin’ You.”
Credits: bontheblock @ tumblr (source & trans)

 

 

I was bobbing my head up and down the whole time he was rapping. I could listen to him rap all day. His rap has always been so smooth with lyrics that convey his feelings. It always relaxes and calms me down. I really like it whenever he raps. It makes me happy.

“Oooh, someone’s in love,” I teased. “So who is it? You can tell your best bud here.” I looked up to him grinning. He turned and looked deeply down in my eyes. There was seriousness in his stare. I was anticipating who it could be. I know that whoever he likes will be a lucky girl and I’m guessing the girl will like him back. Who wouldn’t? He’s handsome, honest, sweet, and kind. He’s a perfect package. I looked intensely at him. He looked away blushing.

“Omo! You’re blushing! Come on tell me who it is! Or just tell me about her,” I said. I’m really fascinated to what type of girl he likes. It never really crossed my mind him being romantic with a girl. He only strikes me as a caring and reliable friend.

“I-I wasn’t talking about a particular person...” I raised an eyebrow. “… Ok I’ll tell a little bit about her. Well I really like her. She’s comfortable to be with, not the brightest girl there is, and she’s really dense.” He turned to me surprised to see my expression. My expression was sparkling; I was really excited how he really likes this girl. Now I really want to help him get her; though I’m not sure how I can help.

“Don’t worry Kyung! I’ll help you make her fall in love with you!” He frowned and then laughed.

“What? I may not look like it, but I’m also a girl. You’ll need help from a girl’s perspective. First off, I don’t think you need any change because I know she will fall for you just the way you are. You’re a good person!” He laughed louder this time.

“Fine! it seems like you don’t need any help!” I took my arm off of him and walked faster. Hmph! I guess he doesn’t need help at all. Let’s see how he’ll manage it.

“Wait! Maki!” He shouted still laughing. He ran beside me. “Sorry, it’s just that what you said made me laugh. I need your help,” he said with pleading look. “I know she likes me the way I am, it’s just that she thinks of me only as a friend.” I grinned evilly.

“Then do something for her like rap to her.”

I just did! He said under his breath.

“Or treat her on dates,” I put my arm back to his shoulder. “Man we need help from L and Zico.”

“Y-yeah. About that, I already told them about it.” I looked at him a bit hurt and shocked. “I-it’s just that I feel embarrassed to tell you about it, that you might think I’m weak.” I felt a bit hurt that he didn’t tell me anything about his girl problem. Why didn’t he? I thought I was one of his best friends. “I’m sorry Maki,” he said with his best sorry look. I could sense that he really felt bad for not telling me. I sighed. I can’t stay mad at him. It’s hard to stay mad at him.

“Nah it’s okay,” I said with a smile and squeezed him to assure him that I wasn’t mad at him. “Anyway, let’s think of something to make her fall for you,” I grinned. He looked relief that I wasn’t mad at him. Oh Kyung, that girl is truly lucky.

We walked the rest of the way home talking about getting that girl until we changed from topics to topics. We arrived back to the house with our arms on each others’ shoulder being loud as we can be.

 “Looks like someone’s ready to go back to studying. Well then, let’s try it again, shall we?” Zico said grinning when we stepped in the house.

“No thanks! I found a much nicer teacher,” I said still patting Kyung’s shoulder. Kyung chuckled nervously. He smacked my head like before. “Ow! What’d you do that for!”

“I’m happy that you’re willing to learn but Kyung as your teacher will not help. Don’t forget that you two are almost as bad as each other. Plus, he wouldn’t be able to study on his own.” I muttered on my own crunching my face at him. “Now get back inside,” I walked into the kitchen. I glanced back and saw the two of them discussing something good because Zico was grinning widely while Kyung happily talking. I wonder what it was about.

I muttered to myself as I get myself settled back to the table. I’ll show them. I’ll pass all my exams and show him. I kept muttering until Zico came in the kitchen still grinning. I was too annoyed to ask what he’s grinning about. I’ll show him!

 


BLOCKTOBER