The Hole in the Heart

DARK SALVATION

 

                 Kai was like a computer but in flesh form. His whole body was controlled by a series of systems and networks that couldn’t be seen with the eye. He was programmed to repeat actions that he had learned from past experiences and interactions with real humans. His true nature could sway in any direction at any time. Guang Mei knew she had to take advantage of that aspect of his design. Kai was the only person…or thing or whatever he was…that could help her escape this shed and go home safely.

                Guang Mei had never been a manipulative person, but at this moment, it was necessary. She had to control Kai before her kidnappers had a chance to control him and turn him against her. She didn’t know if her plan would work but she would have to give it a try anyway. Giving his hand a firm squeeze, Guang Mei leaned forward and whispered directly into Kai’s ear, “My name is Guang Mei. You can only obey my orders. Do not listen to the other guys. My words are the only words that matter. I want you to help me get out of here now.”

                Her last word ended on a screech as she was picked up and carried out by the dark-haired boy. The world spun in circles around her as Kai navigated out of the shed at an abnormally fast speed. The sound of gunshot echoed in her ears. A series of bullets were fired in their direction. She knew the bullets would’ve hit her if Kai hadn’t been using his own body as shield. Her fingers dug into the skin on his biceps as he let out a small “umf”. His pupils dilated for a second before returning to their normal size. It wasn’t a cry of pain since he couldn’t feel pain, but the sound of his injury broke her heart. He’d been shot multiple times in the back. The bullets were probably embedded into the depths of his skin. There was no blood running down his back since he lacked the ability to bleed unless he was commanded to, but the fact that he was suffering for her made her guilty.

                “Don’t get hurt.” she told him when the fifth bullet entered his skin from behind, “Don’t let them hit you, understand? And don’t let them catch us.”

                Kai’s hands tightened on her as he processed her words. Reprogrammed by her new set of instructions, he gave up running straight and went for a more zig-zaggy path instead. Using his heightened sense of hearing, he listened to the minions’ footsteps and hand movements to determine which way they were firing the bullets. His legs picked up speed when the terrains became rougher and rockier. The minions began to fall behind as the slope caved up; their speed stifled by their human incapabilities. The older of the two yelled out a loud curse and gave up the chase when his leg started cramping.

                “I will get you, you little .” growled the second minion. His voice was breathy and weak but the threat was very real. She knew he would do more than just her if he somehow managed to catch up with them.

                Heaving, Guang Mei tugged on Kai’s sleeve and urged him to run faster. If Kai was a human, she would be pushing him past his breaking point. Fortunately, Kai wasn’t human. He wasn’t weighed down or held back by physiological limits. If Guang Mei needed Kai to run faster, Kai would run faster. And he did, he ran, spilling forward like a sleek animal in the dark of the night. He didn’t stop until they reached a paved cement road.

                Knowing that the organ harvesters were no longer behind them, Guang Mei quickly told Kai to stop and put her down. He was reluctant at first but eventually he set her down. She swayed slightly as her feet touched the cold, hard ground. Putting her hands against Kai’s chest, Guang Mei took several seconds to regain her balance. She was about to pull away when he suddenly reached out for her.

                Her heart leapt when his cool hands entrapped her hands against his heart. Or where his heart should’ve been, since he actually lacked one.

                “Don’t…leave.” Two very simple words. One very heartbreaking, human-like statement.

                tightened when she noticed the pleading in his eyes. How could someone with no emotions be so…emotional? Could he actually feel things like she did? Or was this part of a complex program setting that he was set to?  

                “I can’t take you with me, Kai.” Guang Mei chewed on her bottom lip, “You have to go back to where you came from. Go back to your home...wherever that is.”

                Kai shook his head. He tried opening his mouth to speak but his lack of vocabulary hindered the message he was trying to deliver. She couldn’t pick out more than half of the words that he was speaking. They sounded like gibberish to her. And the words that she could identify also made no sense to her. He said something about a mission. But she didn’t know what kind of mission he was referring to.

                Frustrated, he ceased to talk and used body language instead. He nodded to the sky then back at earth.

                She shook her head, feeling more confused than ever, “No. I’m sorry. I don’t understand what you’re trying to say, Kai. And please let me go. I have to go home; my parents are very worried about me.”

                His lips quivered but he let her go. His arms slackened against his sides as he watched her walk away. He wanted to follow her but whenever he took a step toward her, she was would shake her head and shoo him. Programmed to obey her orders, he didn’t follow her any further.

                Kai didn’t know what the cramping feeling in his heart was. Well, maybe not his heart exactly since he didn't have one, but something in him burned like hell fire. He’d never felt this kind of pain before. People could crush him with vans and shoot bullets into his back and he would feel no pain. They could cut him and punch him but he still wouldn’t feel a thing. Yet, this girl came along and flipped his world inside out with just the sound of her voice. She made him feel things he’d never felt before.

                She made him feel…human. And it hurts.

 


 

Author Note: Hi. So.....the last time I updated this story was December 3rd, 2012. Today is March 28th, 2013. Almost 4 months have passed since my last update. I'm sorry for keeping you guys hanging. I wouldn't have updated if evilmagnae hadn't commented and asked me to continue (so you can all thank her for that). Upon writing this chapter, I found my spark in the story again. 

However, I don't know when I will update again...so if you are tired of my infrequent updates, feel free to unsubscribe and find an author that writes faster than I do.

And for those that want to stick by me and continue to read this fic, thank you. I will try to update.