Chapter XIII - Transfer Student

Let Me Be The One

Yume’s POV

                A month of school went by in a flash, nothing much really happened. Vivian and Jung min still hung out from time to time, but the five of us never got together since the first week of school. I would see Kyu jong in advisory and geometry class. He would flash me back his killer smile every time he noticed me staring at him during classes. My heart would flutter whenever that happens, but Kyu jong never showed anything else, or hung out with me ever since that night at Jung min’s house. As for Hyun joong, I only saw him in advisory with Jung min, and they’ll announce us special events and school news of the day. Sometimes when we see each other in the hall, I would randomly say hi, but he would just stare at me, and not say anything or wave back.

                Like every usual Tuesday morning, Vivian and I walked in through the advisory door, and took our seats next to Kyu jong. While waiting for advisory to start, our eyes landed on a girl we’ve never seen before, walking in through the doors. She was beautiful— large green eyes, light brown curly hair, porcelain-like skin, tall and thin body— she had everything a girl would want. At first I thought she was Jung min and Hyun joong’s replacement for the day, but it didn’t seem like it when Hyun joong and Jung min walked in through the door a few minutes later.

                “Good morning guys!” My advisory teacher, Mr. A cheerfully said. “Is your freshmen year getting boring? Well, guess what? We’re having a transfer student today. This girl right here— her name is Mika.”

                Mika gave a vigorous smile towards our class, “Hello! I’m Mika!”

Her eyes searched around the room, studying everyone around. For some reason, when her eyes landed on our table, her face turned into an expression of shock. She slowly looked away, and awkwardly walked to the other side of the room, and took a seat by some girls. “Hey gals, mind if I sit here?”

                The girls happily nodded, excited that a girl like Mika would like to be friends with them. I looked over at Vivian, and saw her staring at Jung min once again, like the way she has been doing since the weekend at Jung min’s house. I don’t know what to do. Maybe the best thing to do was to tell her to stay away from a flirt like Jung min, but she seemed to be deeply in love with him and Jung min seemed like he actually did love her. 

                As I glanced over at Kyu jong, I realized he had been deeply in thought, with a blank expression on his face. He had been so quiet this morning, making me worried. Just when I was about to start a conversation with Kyu jong, the bell rang. Kyu jong got up, and left for his classes without saying goodbye.

               “What’s wrong with Kyu jong?” I whispered to Vivian, who’s sitting next to me in World Studies class.

                Vivian turned towards me, “why? Did something happen?”

                “He looks so out of it this morning…”

                Vivian smiled, “you’re just too focused on every little thing he does. I bet he’s fine.”

                “That’s not it! You’re just too busy staring at your Jung min and didn’t pay attention to anything else.”

                Before Vivian could start yelling at me about how she doesn’t stare at Jung min and stuffs, the teacher yelled at us for talking. Immediately, Vivian and I went back, focusing on class work.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                Finally, it was the time for geometry, the last class of the day, and where I got to see Kyu jong. However, when I walked into the door, I was very surprised to see Mika, again. So she was in three of the total four classes I had today? To say the truth, through those two classes we’ve had together already, I didn’t really like her. She was a total attention , even though she seemed nice to everyone— especially guys.

                I walked towards my usual seat, but there I found Mika sitting in it. She was turned away from me, talking to Kyu jong, who usually sits behind me in Geometry.

                “I’m so happy to see you again Kyu jong,” Mika said. “I’ve missed you.”

                “…Hey Mika,” Kyu jong replied casually. “Why did you come here?”

                “Many reasons,” Mika smiled. “And you’re one of them.”

                Kyu jong looked away, looking uncomfortable about what he heard. He then spotted me, standing behind Mika. Abruptly, he said to Mika, “This is her seat.”

                Mika turned around and gave me one of those mean looks I couldn’t describe, but then immediately gave me her beautiful fake smile, “Oh! I’m so sorry. You’re Yume right? You’re sure in a lot of my classes today…”

                “Um, its okay,” I lied and smiled back. “I’ll just find somewhere else to sit, it’s not like I have to always sit in one place.”

                “Oh, are you sure?” Mika replied. “That would be great!”

                I nodded towards Mika, and then glanced over to look at Kyu jong. He didn’t say anything, nor showed any concern. ‘I want her to sit here’ I guess I won’t be hearing that from him. Disappointed, I walked towards another empty seat, and sat down. Throughout the whole class, I didn’t really pay any attention to what the teacher was teaching, but my mind was full of what Mika said. She misses him? So they knew each other in the past? I really wanted to know what was going on, but maybe I shouldn't be so nosy and leave their business alone. As the hallway music started playing, I walked out of the class, hearing another conversation Mika started with Kyu jong in the background. I didn't like how she kept on bothering Kyu jong. I didn’t like how she knew Kyu jong before I did. I didn’t like how we had a geometry project due next week. I didn’t like anything right now.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Flashforward—

                A few weeks went by, and every day went on about the same. Mika enjoyed talking to Kyu jong a lot, but now instead of being annoyed like he’s been the first few days Mika transferred here, Kyu jong seemed to enjoy it too. During advisory, Mika would sit next to Kyu jong, and Vivian and I would have to find some other table to sit at. I felt my distance with Kyu jong has become greater. I didn’t know what to do. My heart ached every time I see them together, smiling happily. Did Kyu jong ever smile when we were together? I could not even recall.

                “Yume,” Vivian whispered as she leaned closer towards me. “What’s going on between Mika and Kyu jong?”

                “I don’t know,” I replied in an annoyed voice. “Nor do I care.”

                “Don’t say that, you know you have feelings for Kyu jong.”

                I sighed and whispered back, “I’m so stupid, just because of one little kiss. I bet he didn’t think of it as anything important.”

                “But wasn’t it your first kiss?” Vivian asked concerned. “It’s okay Yume. Tonight is Halloween Dance, I’m sure you heard about it right?”

                I nodded, “Yeah, posters are all over the school. So, you going with Jung min?”

                “Well, I’m waiting for him… to ask me to go,” Vivian said shyly.

                Smiling, I patted Vivian on the head, “Don’t worry, I’m sure he will.”

                “What about you? Are you and Kyu jong…?”

                “I don’t know. But it would be nice if we could…”

                “Well, this is your chance Yume. You haven’t gotten to be with him for a while, ask him to the dance.” Vivian cheerfully said.

                “Not so loud Vivian!” I looked down. “But I’m a girl… and girls don’t ask guys to dances. It’s weird.”

                “It’s worth a try!”

                “No, I’m not doing it. That’s final. NO.” I looked back at Vivian with an annoyed face, “I’m not going to embarrass myself.”

                Vivian shrugged, “Well, suit yourself!”

                I sighed loudly and kicked my feet up and down from frustration. I definitely want to go to the dance with Kyu jong, but I’m not asking him. I will never do that. Plus, what if Kyu jong doesn’t want to go with me, but with someone else? That would be such an embarrassment.


                “Vivian! Yume!”

                I looked up upon hearing my name being called, “yeah?”

                Why am I not surprised? It was Jung min, walking towards us with a giant smile on his face, with Hyun joong following behind, “So, tomorrow’s Halloween dance. I was wondering if you guys could help with us with some cleaning before the dance.”

                “Oh, sure,” Vivian replied.

                I looked up at Jung min, who’s now staring at me, waiting to hear an answer. I started laughing, “Dude, I thought you were going to ask Vivian to the dance.”

                Underneath the table, I felt a sharp pain on my right leg. Vivian had kicked me after hearing what I said, “I think she meant—”

                “Well,” Jung min interrupted. “I was going to do it in private...as a surprise. But since someone like Yume decided to showed up and ruined it all, I will just ask now. Vivian, do you want to go to the dance with me?”

                “Um,” Vivian blushed and looked away, “I—”

                “That means yes!” I yelled happily, and jumped off of my chair, knowing Vivian’s inner heart.

                I was dancing around by myself in happiness, until I felt a pair of eyes staring at me. I awkwardly stopped moving, and turned to look at Hyun joong, who’s been staring at me weirdly.

                I smiled brightly towards him, still happy about Jung min and Vivian, “Hi Hyun joong!”

                Hyun joong raised one of his eyebrows and said, “You’re such a weird girl. Do you even have someone to go to the dance with?”

                My face immediately darkened, “…Maybe…?”

                “I bet no one had ever wanted to go to the dance with you,” Hyun joong laughed.

                “Hmph,” I walked away from Hyun joong, feeling angry yet sad about what he said. Because the thing is, he was probably right.

                “Well, if you have no one to go to the dance with, you can always call me,” Hyun joong smiled as he walked over, and handed me a slip of paper with his phone number on it. It was the exact same one he gave me on the first day of school. “The payment will be…”

                I grabbed the piece of paper and ripped it in half, “Mister, I already have your phone number. And there will be no payment.”

                “In case you lose it,” He grinned as he pulled another slip of paper out. Now I’m wondering how many of these Hyun joong have. Does he just hand it to random people on the street or something?

                “Ayy,” Jung min pushed me and Hyun joong away from each other. “Can you guys do something other than argue all the time?”

                “Of course, we’ve done other things,” Hyun joong passed me a smirk “Right Yume?”

                I stared at him, and started recalling everything that has happened between us. The way I met him on that rainy day… How he gave me his phone number… Our meeting at the café… The way he embraced me when I was breaking apart… How he drove me home… And— my heart beating. I never knew Hyun joong and I shared so many memories together in such a short amount of time. However, all these times I’ve been with him, it always started with an argument. I guess that’s just the way Hyun joong and I are.

                “I don’t know,” I murmured back.

                Jung min sighed and walked back towards Vivian, “I guess that’s how you guys show your friendship.”

                “Friendship?” I heard Hyun joong mumble. “We aren’t friends…”

                “I know right,” I mumbled back in response.

                I couldn’t help but look in Kyu jong’s direction once again, even though I know what I will see wouldn’t be what I want to see. It was them, engaged in a deep conversation. Kyu jong doesn’t even care what’s going on between us four anymore, he seem more interested in Mika alone. Mika’s pulling Kyu jong away from me, and I couldn’t do anything about it.

 

Okay guys, sorry for the long wait.. such a short chapter. I know. We already finished the next chapter, just gotta do some editing. It's going to be a long one! ;] hopefully not boring. Miahne, Miahne, Mianhe. Forgive us lazy writers. T__T