lest you dash your foot upon a rock

don't let me fall

 

                His eyes widened when he saw it, the flaming ball. It started as a speck, but gradually descended closer, closer, hurdling toward the ground at high speed. And he saw the ball crash in a nearby scrap heap, pieces of rusted metal parts flying through the air like a cartoon. Scrabbling down from the high rock ledge he'd been sitting on, his feet carried him to the scene of the crash. 

                The first thing to greet his eyes was a trail of smoldering embers leading to the second thing that graced his sight—a boy. He wasn't just any boy. Sleek brown hair that shone like a coppery wave, slanted eyes wide with mortification, pale skin glowing in the moonlight, he was beautiful. Yet, as pretty as the boy was, unnatural for a male, the wings perched on his back were more intriguing. The winged one was rocking back and forth, knees huddled up to his chin and arms wrapped around his legs; whispering, muttering to himself, almost seeming insane. He watched the winged figure, anticipating its moves, wondering what and who it or he was, and then he built up the courage to approach. 

                "A-Are you...okay?"

                "Who's there?!"

                He stepped from the shadows of the tall skyscrapers of junk metal. "Hi..."

                "You can't look at me!" the winged boy screamed. 

                He took a step forward as he asked, "Why?"

                "No!!" The boy began to close his wings over his body, and the spectator panicked, fearing he'd lose his only chance to talk to the beauty that had fallen from the heavens, but the boy stopped, eyes wide with shock as he folded his wings closer to him. He at the darkening feathers. 

                "No... No!! I... It can't be!!" he screeched as fistfuls of whitish-grey feathers fell from his wings, slowly fluttering away as they broke off. Feathers black as the night sky replaced his more pristine ones. 

                "Who are you?"

               The winged boy glared up at the bystander. "Who am I?! I'm the one who's been keeping the castle in the clouds peaceful! I clean every inch of that palace, and what do I get?! Thrown down!! Cast to earth!! 'Lest you dash your foot upon a rock!!!’ Well I've dashed my foot and I am an angel! This isn't supposed to be like this!!"

                "Do you need a place to stay?"

                The winged boy's eyes narrowed. "No... I helped to regulate the world and everything in it. I can take care of myself!"

                "I doubt it. The police will be here soon. We have to go."

                "You humans... I never understood you... Taking in strangers and the like, never asking if they're evil or not, always assuming everything in the world is good. Well I'll tell you now. It's not! It's why I'm here!!" He shakily got to his feet, swaying as he tried to stand on his own. The wind, cold and merciless, blew the fragile creature over into the strong arms of the stranger. “Not even the heavens are safe,” he whispered.

                Eyelids heavy, on the brink of blacking out, the winged boy managed to murmur, "Who are you who is so sweet with such a harsh expression? Like a pineapple."

                "Kim Myungsoo," he answered as he gingerly picked up the frail creature. 

                He felt the boy's head fall against his chest, energy draining from his body as his mind drifted off into the blackened void of his destroyed dreams. 

 

                It was a bleak morning when the angel woke up. His first instinct was to take off into the sky, to feel his wings slice through the wind, but he was disheartened to see the raven feathers on his back. He at them tenderly, wishing that they'd turn white again, wishing he could clean the evilness out of them. He'd been sentenced to Earth for two years now, and he woke up every morning wishing everything--being banished from the castle in the sky, forever sentenced to earth, being stripped of his pure white wings--were a dream, but now, he just wished the dream would never end, because he had something worth looking forward to on this bleak planet. 

                "Angel," a soft, deep voice called. 

                "The day is cold and bleak," the wistful reply was as the boy curled into a ball, glaring out of the window. "Is this your dwelling, saramui?"

                "It is, cheonsa," he answered, sitting on the bed next to the creature. 

                "Why am I here?"

                "Why don't you tell me?"

                The angel paused and then glanced at Myungsoo. "For eighteen years I lived in the sky kingdom, executing all biddings of the kings, and what do I get? Shunned to earth for being 'too pretty'!" 

                "'Too pretty'?" Myungsoo mused. "Not true."

                The angel scoffed. 

                "You're beautiful."

                The boy's eyes narrowed. "You are too bold. Like the angel named Woohyun. I loved him, but he used me. He is the one who banished me from the skies. So here I am... Trying to find love again..."

                "What is your name, cheonsa?"

                "In the kingdom, Maknae. Here, Lee Sungjong." 

                "Sungjong... I think I'm in love with you--completely, absolutely, totally in love with you."

                "What are you thinking of, love?" asked Myungsoo, wrapping his arms around Sungjong's fragile frame, still as thin as the day he'd found him. 

                "Thinking about the day you picked me up from hell and brought me back to earth."

                Myungsoo chuckled lowly. "I don't bring you to heaven?"

                He shook his head. "You won't let me fall again, right?"

                Myungsoo nuzzled his face into Sungjong's hair, tightening his hold on the angel. "Never."

                Sungjong smiled slightly at Myungsoo, and the latter said, "I love you."

                Sungjong chuckled grimly. "Love can make you fall, Myungsoo hyung," he whispered. "But I'd fall to Earth a million times just to fall in love with you again."

--------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------

A/N: Oh! Woe is me! For my writing skills are being really y~ XP I seriously don't think this is a winner, but it's a concept I've always thought about~ >< Hoped you enjoyed, though it's incredible short >< And please comment~ *^^* Comments always make me feel better after a rough day at school~ ><