Ready...

Homecoming (A Chuseok Special) [ONE-SHOT]
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

 

-Hye Jin’s POV-

Chuseok.

It’s one of the traditional holidays of the year I would never miss for the world. It’s the second best holiday to Christmas and New Year, well, that’s in my case, since it’s one of the rare times I could visit my hometown, Boseong County in Jeolla Province, where my grandparents live and run their tea farm. Since they were my only family, I tend to miss them a lot. Halmeoni and Harabeoji practically raised me. I was really excited to go home. I get to do lots of stuff with my two best friends in the world – Joon Myun oppa and Kyungsoo oppa. They’d always help me make songpyeon and set up the traditional harvest table then the three of us would go visit our ancestral tombs. It was really fun.

Aside from that, I’d get to see Joon Myun oppa. That’s what I’m most thrilled about. I got off from my car and I was met by the people I grew up with. Kyungsoo oppa was there, too. Joon Myun oppa, him and I had always been a trio. I was eager to see him, too, but Joon Myun oppa was different. He was like my first friend, my first crush and my first love. All that was missing was a first kiss which I hope would be with him. This Chuseok season is special because I plan to confess to him on the harvest ball my grandparents were hosting on the last night of the festival. I felt confident about it.

Like every other time I came home to Boseong, he’s the first one to meet me by the gates of the estate. He ran up to me and gave me a hug, whirling me around like a little girl. Well, he was taller than I am, but I was still too big for him to carry. I laughed at the thought of it.

“Hye Jin-ah! You’ve grown.” He always says that to me whenever we meet.  Every time, it was like that, but still, I never get used to it especially when he smiling like that at me. I could melt.

“It’s good to see you,” I greeted him back, smiling up at him. “I’ve missed you.”

“I’ve got tons of things to tell you.”

Before I could answer, Kyungsoo oppa stood between us. “That could wait. I still haven’t said hello to my favorite girl. You’re looking pretty.”

I laughed and threw my hands around his shoulders, hanging momentarily. “Oppa~! I missed you, too. How was school?” I said to him, looking over his shoulder to wink at Joon Myun oppa who did the same. Both of us went to Seoul to attend school, but we never really got to meet each other there. Joon Myun oppa, on the other hand, stayed in Boseong to work for my grandparents. He’s like their right-hand man like his father was before him.

Kyungsoo oppa set me down and grinned. “That’s like the worse question you could ask a student. You know what it’s like.”

“Yeah. Why am I talking about it anyway? Let’s have fun!” I said and raced them to the villa. This is going to be the best Chuseok ever!

 

-Kyungsoo’s POV-

I waited for Hye Jin at the living room while she changed. She wanted to make songpyeon already and she asked me and Joon Myun hyung to tag along and help her. She said she wanted the holiday to be special, but just seeing her made everything more than special. I’ve missed her a lot and I’ve been looking forward to seeing her for more than six months. Hye Jin didn’t spend Christmas with us the last time and it was the first time she was coming home for the year. She kept in touch, but it wasn’t enough. I still wanted to see more of her and her crazy antics.

“Kyungsoo-ah,” Joon Myun hyung said a while later.

I looked up at him. He had been pacing the floor since we got to the villa. “Ne, hyung?”

He stared at me seriously. “I need to get going. I promised to help at the village for the preparations. Would you excuse me to Hye Jin?”

I arched a brow at him. “My parents already sent people to work on that. You can stay here.”

“No. I promised to help build a stall for one of the ahjummas there.”

I smirked. “Come on, hyung. Hye Jin just arrived. What would she think?”

“I know that, but I need to go. I’m sure she’ll understand. I’ll catch up with you guys later.”

Before I could stop him, he ran out of the house. I shrugged. I knew where he was going and it wasn’t the village. I stood by the doorway, watching him run through the fields to be met by someone. I think I know who the person is. All of a sudden, I felt a hand on my shoulder. It was Hye Jin.

“Yah! What are you spacing out about?” she asked me with a grin.

I quickly diverted my gaze from the field then faced her. “Ah…nothing. Joon Myun hyung said he had to go to help in the village.” It felt terrible lying to her especially after seeing her expressions change from mirth to disappointment which she tried to conceal.

“It’s okay.” She smiled at me and linked her arms with mine. “I still have you. Let’s go.”

The whole day, we made rice cakes and helped their cook prepare the bulgogi and japchae. She was still the playful girl I came to know when we were little kids. I’d always come back to that time eleven years ago when I was that friendless, lonely child until she came along. It could always make me smile.

We were already seated on the table, ready to have our taste test of the rice cakes when I saw her looking out the window. It was already dark outside and people were coming from the village for the dinner, but Joon Myun hyung wasn’t one of them. No wonder she looked so bleak.

I pulled her hand and took her to the tent that was set up for the villagers. “Let’s go and have fun.”

It had been a while before Joon Myun hyung showed up looking extremely pleased with himself. Hye Jin had already forgotten about him or at least that’s what she shows everyone as she joined them, chatting and laughing.

“Where is she?” he asked me, grinning.

“Look what the cat dragged in.” I smirked as I passed by him. “You better tell her soon or you’ll hurt her more.” With that, I joined the crowds, leaving him alone flabbergasted.

 

-Hye Jin’s POV-

I looked around as I was having a chat with my grandparents’ friends who visited for the dinner. I was still looking for Joon Myun oppa whom I haven’t seen since we got to the villa. I guess he really was busy at the village, but almost everyone who lived in our small town was with us, enjoying the night even Kyungsoo oppa’s parents who had developed quite an interest with my field of studies. I patiently answered their questions about it, relating my travels to museums and excavation sites in other countries. They’ve been the ones detaining me for the past hours from looking for Joon Myun oppa. Kyungsoo oppa joined the others leaving me with his very amiable parents.

“Where would you go on your next travel? I heard that they’ve been uncovering new artifacts in Cairo right now,” Mr. Do asked me when I saw Joon Myun oppa and Kyungsoo oppa by the edge of the tent. I glanced furtively at them, looking for a chance to approach them and end my conversation with the elderly folks.

“I’m still deciding on that matter, sir. It depends on what subjects I’ll get on the next semester,” I answered. I saw Kyungsoo oppa stand up from his seat and walk past Joon Myun oppa, saying something for his ears only. I didn’t even get the chance to decipher what he was saying when he left, leaving Joon Myun oppa with a rather surprised expression. I narrowed my eyes at him then glanced at the people I was talking to. “Would you excuse me for a while? I need to get something,” I said, going away before they could give their consent. I came looking for oppa, but then, he wasn’t there where I saw him standing just a moment ago. I searched through the crowds, bowing as I excused myself. I saw him going to the back of the house towards the forest.

I wanted to find out for myself where he was really disappearing to. I didn’t believe a word of what Kyungsoo oppa was saying about the village. I went up to the villa and hurriedly went out at the back door where no one was and followed Joon Myun oppa from a distance. Why is this person going to the woods at a time like this? His actions were making me suspicious.

I’ve been walking for a while with only the light of the full moon serving as my means to see through the murky darkness. The sound of music and people faded through the distance as I went deeper. It was a good thing he was wearing a light-colored shirt and it made it easier for me to track him down. I knew the twists and turns of the forest like the back of my hand and I was pleased to discover that I haven’t forgotten about it despite of how long I haven’t gone there. Soon, we were nearing the clearing where we used to play as children. All of a sudden, I heard the voice of a female, slicing through the stillness of the night, making me stop dead on my tracks.

“Joon Myun oppa? Is that you?” the voice said. It wasn’t familiar at all, but it made me all the more curious. Oppa? Who is this person and why was she calling Joon Myun ‘oppa’? I inched in closer, hiding behind a tree with my back turned towards the clearing.

“It’s me, Jae Mi. I’m coming.”

Jae Mi? Lee Jae Mi from the tea farm at the next town? Jae Mi unnie? What the hell was she doing here? My heart began racing inside my ribcage as the full impact of realization slowly sank in. I listened to the sounds around me and his footsteps as he neared the clearing dominated. I felt the need to see what was going on to confirm it. I didn’t want to assume and I needed to be careful about my decisions. I didn’t know why, but I had a bad feeling about this whole scenario. I slowly turned around and walked as quietly as possible to the nearest tree where I had a better view of the clearing.

“Oppa!” Jae Mi unnie said as she threw her arms around Joon Myun oppa’s shoulders, pulling him close for a hug. Joon Myun oppa embraced her then pulled away, gazing at her with a tender expression lingering on his face.

“Hey, beautiful,” he said softly, running his fingers through her long hair. She smiled up at him with the same look of adoration in her eyes.

She scoffed. “Stop it, will you?” There was a moment of silence before she said, “I’ve heard that Miss Hye Jin had arrived. How is she?”

Joon Myun laughed quietly. “Hye Jin is fine. She’s just as adorable and bubbly since the last time I saw her. She hasn’t changed much.”

“That’s good to hear. Have you told her about us? I wanted to tell her, but I figured that since you’re her best friend, you’d want to let her know.”

“I was planning to do that this harvest ball. You’re coming with me.”

“Of course, I am. The Kwons had invited my family,” she said.

“I’ve missed you.”

“What are you saying? Not even an hour had passed since we’ve parted.” She chuckled.

He pulled her close again, enveloping her in the same arms that were around me just this morning. “I still miss you. Even now…every waking hour.” Every word he uttered cut me a thousand times, hurting me more than it should. He pulled away then leaned again, this time, to kiss her.

I wanted to close my eyes so I wouldn’t have to see, but I can’t. I watched the two of them, feeling the world I’ve known crumble around me. Too many questions began flooding my mind, making my head hurt literally in accordance to my chest that felt like it was about to burst. Hot tears began falling from my eyes before I realized it, but everything became clear along with everything that unfolded before me.

A pair of strong hands seized me from the darkness, willing me to turn around. I saw Kyungsoo oppa through the haze of the tears then pulled me in a tight embrace, rubbing his hand against my back as he held my head against his chest. I stopped crying after a while and we decided to head towards the villa.

He left me there after a while then my Halmeoni came in looking for me. “So this is where you’ve disappeared to, young lady. Is everything alright?”

I nodded. It was a good thing I was pale and not all blotchy so she didn’t notice that I had been crying. “I’m fine, Halmeoni, just tired.”

She smiled at me then nodded. “You go up to your room and rest. I’ll tell the others about it.”

I thanked her then bowed before going up to my room to continue my crying jag. I just wanted to go back to Seoul that very minute.

***

The next morning, we decided to go visit the tombs. Joon Myun oppa showed up early, joining my family for breakfast. I couldn’t find it in myself to be angry at him. Besides, we were just friends and I didn’t have the right to feel that way. I had to keep a happy façade even when I felt like dying inside with every smile he flashed at my direction. Fighting to keep my composure, I went through the ordeal of joining him and my grandparents on the table. It was like that until Kyungsoo oppa came into the villa much to my relief. After he greeted the elders, I jumped up from my seat and pulled him out of the dining room, leading him outside the house.

“Good morning,” he said to me the moment we were there. “You’re in good spirits today.”

I shrugged, but nonetheless smiled. I didn’t know why, but whenever I see him, I feel like I would get over the whole incident without much effort. “Let’s just get going, shall we?”

“Wouldn’t you want to wait for Joon Myun hyung? He might wonder where we are. He had been worried about you last night,” he said, looking a bit concerned.

“Did you tell him?” I demanded in a low tone, frowning.

He shook his head and pulled me towards his motorcycle, handing me one of the helmets.

I smirked and punched him playfully on the arm. “It’s his turn to wonder where we’ve gone to then.”

He laughed at that and pinched both of my cheeks as he flashed a wide grin at me. “Good to see you back, Kwon Hye Jin.” He then mounted the bike and helped me. I wrapped my arms around his waist then we were off.

After we went to the tombs, he brought me to the lake just down the hill from the tea farm. He brought a few snacks with him so we didn’t have to go back to the villa that soon. We settled under the old oak tree that had always been there. He sat on the grass and leaned against the tree trunk while I rested my head on his lap, looking at the sky through the branches of the tree. He was busy running his hands through my hair, it gently. His feather-light touch calmed my nerves as we both enjoyed the scenery.

“You colored your hair red,” he commented out of the blue.

I chuckled. “I did. What’s wrong with that?”

He smirked, looking far away at the horizon. “I told you not to do anything to your hair.”

“It’s spray-on,” I muttered, remembering it, too.

He smacked me on the forehead, making me sit up straight. “Spray-on doesn’t last that long,” I pouted at him and inched closer, leaning against his shoulder. He sighed. “It had been going on for a year.”

“What is?” I asked, closing my eyes as the breeze blew past us.

“Joon Myun hyung and Jae Mi-ssi.”

My eyes flew open at that and I straightened up to look at him. “A year?” I repeated. “How come I never knew about it?”

“It started when you didn’t come home last year,” he answered me flatly. “You haven’t been calling either.”

I stood up and turned my back on him. “You knew.” I didn’t have to turn around to know that he did. He didn’t answer me and just stayed silent. “I thought we’d all be honest to each other.”

“I told him to tell you himself. I didn’t want to be the one to tell you.”

“I wish you did.”

“So you’re mad at me, too?” he asked coolly.

I shook my head. “How can I be? I know your intentions, but…”

“Why Lee Jae Mi, right?” he surmised. “I asked the same question, too. Not that there’s something wrong with her or anything. She’s pretty and all that, but I’ve never quite taken a liking for her and hyung…he’s just…I don’t know…crazy maybe. I heard he plans to propose to her tomorrow night. It’s the perfect timing with the harvest ball going on and all.”

I felt like a stake was driven right into my chest, but I stopped myself from breaking down. There was just no sense in that anymore. “I thought the Lees were their enemy clan. Jae Mi’s father caused Joon Myun oppa’s father’s death.”

“I thought it was impossible, too, but I saw Romeo and Juliet come to life before my eyes. The two families are in good terms now.”

It made perfect sense. They meet in the woods where no one could find them. I chuckled bitterly then I felt Kyungsoo stand behind me.

“Forget about him, Hye Jin. You’re beautiful and there’s a lot of fish in the sea,” he told me.

I turned to face him, sighing. “Go get my fishing gear then.”

All of a sudden, he raised his hands and placed each one on either of my shoulders. “Jin-ah…you don’t have to look very far.” He fixed his gaze on me intensely and unrelenting. All I could do was to stare up at his pretty eyes. I think I knew what he meant, but I asked anyway.

“Hmm…What exactly does that mean?”

He breathed out, frustrated. “I’ve always liked you since we were kids. Isn’t it obvious?”

I slowly shook my head. “I’m confused.”

“It’s as simple as that.”

“You do?” I asked, still incredulous. Why was he saying this all of a sudden?

He shrugged. “What should I do to make you believe me? I’m not saying this just because of last night.”

“Eh?” Honestly, I didn’t know what to say or do.  Before I knew it, he leaned over and pressed his lips against mine. Without knowing how or why, I responded to it and a small voice inside my head kept saying, “You will forget…”

 

-Joon Myun’s POV-

Hye Jin and Kyungsoo left this morning and it was almost three in the afternoon and they haven’t turned up yet, not even for lunch. Everyone was expecting them and it bothered me that they left just like that without telling anyone where they went. I paced around the foyer of the villa, looking out of the huge windows from time to time.

“Pacing again, are we?” Mrs. Kwon, Hye Jin’s grandmother, said as she went down the stairs of their house. I looked up at her then smiled. She was like a mother to me and she’s been there for everyone as far as I can remember.

I shrugged. “Well, those two haven’t showed up until now and the games are about to start. I’m getting worried, Halmeoni.”

She smiled her crinkly smile at me, shaking her head. “Ah, nonsense! Stop being a bundle of nerves, will you? Those two are grown up people and they’ll show up soon. They probably enjoyed each other’s company after such a long time.”

As if on cue, the two of them came into the foyer, laughing. Hye Jin had her hand in Kyungsoo’s pulling each other.

“You’re really crazy!” Hye Jin said to him in between laughs. “You shouldn’t have gone there.”

“I didn’t know that the dog wasn’t wearing its leash.”

“Good thing it didn’t bite any part of you off.” She smacked him on the head.

“Ow! What’s that for? I already got chased.”

“That’s for being an idiot.”

Kyungsoo was the first one to see Halmeoni and us. “Ah…Hye Jin-ah…” his voice trailed off as he motioned towards us with his head then bowed before Halmeoni, still holding Hye Jin’s hand. “Halmeoni, annyeong hassaeyo.”

Hye Jin looked at us, tensing the moment her eyes fell upon me. She immediately withdrew her hand from Kyungsoo’s. “Halmeoni~!” she squealed then ran to the elderly woman, giving her a hug. She then glanced at me then said, “Hey.”

I saw Kyungsoo give her a stern look before facing me. “Hyung,” he said flatly, nodding at me.

I arched a brow at them. I didn’t know why, but I felt pissed off. I was supposed to ask where they’ve been, but Halmeoni beat me to it.

“Where have you two been? You’ve been missing for almost the whole day.”

Hye Jin smiled sweetly at her grandmother. “We went to visit the tombs then the lake. It was fun. I enjoyed every minute of it.” She then looked at me. “It’s too bad that you couldn’t come, oppa.”

Halmeoni nodded then excused herself.

When she left, I completely lost my reins. “You didn’t even invite me,” I muttered, keeping my calm as I glanced at Kyungsoo who was looking at her quizzically.

She slumped down on one of the couches. “Well, you are busy, aren’t you? We didn’t want to bother you. Right, Kyungsoo oppa?”

I didn’t know if I was imagining it, but there seemed to be an edge to her voice. “I see.”

She smirked at me, somehow resembling the way Kyungsoo did it. I’ve never really seen her do that to me before. “Where do you keep disappearing to anyway? You even left yesterday while I was changing.”

“I was busy. You said so yourself,” I snapped at her, feeling annoyed.

Hye Jin stood up and scoffed. “Then it’s fair. What are you sulking about anyway?” She arched a brow at me, sensing her temper rising.

“So this is pay-back for leaving you yesterday?” I demanded.

“That’s childish,” she said then left, climbing up the stairs.

Kyungsoo sighed and walked over to the kitchen. “It’s hot. I’m getting something to drink.”

I scowled at him. “What’s the matter with her?”

He smirked at me the way she did. “Hyung, if you mean to ask if I told her anything, the answer is no. Maybe she’s PMS-ing. She was fine before we got here.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

Kyungsoo shrugged and rolled his eyes. “Hyung~!” he whined. “You know her. She just throws fits whenever she wants to. Nothing unusual.” With that, he turned his back at me then left.

“AISH!” I grumbled and exited the house.

***

At dinner, Harabeoji and Halmeoni invited Jae Mi’s family for dinner along with the Do family and some other people. Hye Jin came down from her room the moment they’ve arrived and greeted them, even apologizing for her sudden absence the previous night. Then Jae Mi arrived with her parents. I glanced at Kyungsoo who was pretending to read the morning paper at the corner of the room. He folded it then put it back on the coffee table, watching as the two ladies exchanged a few words.

“Miss Hye Jin, it’s been a while,” Jae Mi said, smiling at Hye Jin who returned the greeting with a gracious bow.

“How are you, unnie?” the younger of the two ladies said. “You’re looking well.”

Jae Mi smiled and nodded. “I feel great.”

“Inspired, I trust?” Hye Jin said as she ushered them in. That made my stomach do a somersault. “If you don’t mind me saying, you’re quite glowing.”

“I’m just feeling great. That’s all.”

Kyungsoo coughed, obviously suppressing laughter. Jae Mi glanced at his direction, not seeming to notice what was happening. It’s just like her to see the better side of things. “Kyungsoo-ssi. I didn’t notice you there. Good evening.”

He just gave her a light smile then stood up from his seat, headed for the dining room. “Dinner’s almost ready. Shall we?”

The dinner began without much incident until Mrs. Do asked after Jae Mi’s studies. “What’s your plan this year? Going to school?”

Jae Mi smiled then shook her head politely. “I’ve been considering it, but not yet, ma’am. I’m still helping my mother make a living. We’re still financially unstable, but I probably will when everything’s settled.”

 “I’ve been coaxing her to just go and study, but she’s insisting on staying,” Mrs. Lee said, smiling at her daughter.

“That’s such a waste of opportunity, unnie,” Hye Jin said all of a sudden.

“That’s right. You should go to Seoul and study, too,” Mr. Do agreed.

Jae Mi glanced at me and I smiled at her. Again, Kyungsoo was looking at us.

“I’m hoping it would be soon.” she said.

“We’d be happy to support your studies, Jae Mi. You could stay with Hye Jin while you’re studying,” Harabeoji said.

Hye Jin nodded eagerly. “That’s right. You should come with me as soon as possible. I’ll tour you around Seoul then you could go to school with me or Kyungsoo oppa. That would be fun.”

After much discussion, Jae Mi agreed to it since her mother allowed her to do just that. She shot helpless glances at my direction while I ate quietly. It was kind of Harabeoji to offer financial assistance to her and it was the opportunity of a lifetime, but I couldn’t help but feel down.

The next thing that I heard nearly sent me keeling over from my seat. “Would you be ready by the day after tomorrow? It would be nice if you get settled there as early as possible and that’s the day Hye Jin is leaving for Seoul,” Halmeoni said, thrilled about the whole idea.

After dinner was over, I didn’t get a chance to talk to Jae Mi who agreed to most everything that the elders were suggesting. I was standing outside, watching her and her parents leave when Kyungsoo joined me briefly only to say, “What did I tell you, hyung? Now everyone’s against your plans.”

***

The next day, as we were preparing the garden for the harvest ball that night, neither of the two people showed up either to help or annoy people. Kyungsoo was known to laze around while Hye Jin just annoys the hell out of everybody, making the progress of things slower, but I can see that everyone would rather have that than another no show from them. I shrugged as I helped the event organizer with putting up the canopies and twinkle lights. Halmeoni told me that she had gone out with Kyungsoo early that morning.

Both of them were mad at me. Hye Jin made her point quite obvious before walking out on me the previous day. I didn’t

Please log in to read the full chapter