The Rogue Angel

The Rogue Angel

He was dressed in white from head to toe with a white cashmere sweater, a white t-shirt underneath, a pair of white jeans, and white sneakers. Even his ears were covered with white headphones. It seemed as if he could just fade into the snowy background and disappear if not for his chestnut brown hair.

With eyes that held no emotion and lips that were curved into a slight frown, Oh Sehun stood in the human world for the first time. His nose twitched at the rapid attack of Christmas scents wafting in the air. He was not used to it. And he certainly did not like it.

The air was frigid, chilling Sehun to the bone. His body shivered and he absolutely detested the feeling. This world that he found himself in was annoying. He didn’t understand why his creator could love such a world and such creatures.

Humans are weak, irritating, and stupid. What’s the point of them? Sehun thought to himself. His eyes roamed the crowd of people in the park. Families were bundled up in winter clothes, gathering close to one another to keep warm. Couples held hands and strolled through the park on dates underneath the glow of Christmas lights. They were all smiling and laughing, enjoying their lives.

It was disgusting.

How could they be so happy? They didn’t deserve to be that happy. They were imperfect creatures. They could never compare to an angel.

I am much better than them. How could He love these things more than us angels?

Sehun stalked off to who knows where. It didn’t matter to him. He just wanted to get away from the joyful creatures walking through the park. His wings spread out to their full length and they brushed against trees and people who couldn’t feel them. Of course, Sehun did and he struggled to keep a straight face instead of retching away with an expression of utter disgust. His pure wings shouldn’t have to grace those filthy creatures with their touch.

Just as Sehun reached the exit of the park, he felt the shocking impact of snow slapping into his face. It sent shivers through his body as snow slid under his shirt and down his back. His eyes flared with anger and he turned towards the source. Eyebrows disappearing beneath his bangs, Sehun regarded the two boys before him.

“I’m really sorry mister! My brother ducked and the snowball hit you instead,” the boy in a red snowsuit said. Sehun didn’t give him a response.

“U-uh. Are you o-okay mister?” asked the boy in green.

The two cowered under Sehun’s never changing gaze. His eyes frightened them, showing no emotion whatsoever as he stared them down. Sehun watched as they shook with fear. An amused smirk appeared on his face.

This is exactly how humans should look like when they are standing before an angel. Afraid. Cowering like weaklings.

“W-we are r-really really sorry mister,” they spoke in unison, voices quivering.

“Weak,” Sehun scoffed.

“What? W-what did you say mister?” said the boy in red.

“Weak, I said you’re weak! You two are nothing but tiny insignificant creatures in this world. I don’t understand what’s so special about you. I could crush you in an instant,” Sehun snapped.

The boys jumped and backed away from him. Their legs gave out from trembling so much and they collapsed to the ground. Sehun took a step towards them and they yelped, clinging to one another.

“This is exactly what I mean. Cowardly. You disgust me,” Sehun stated. He his heels and was about to walk away when a voice shouted at him.

“Hey! What did you just say to my brothers?”

It was a female voice, Sehun realized. He shook his head because he disliked human females even more than males.

“Did you hear me? Turn around right now!”

Aggravating.

With an exasperated sigh, Sehun spun around again. He faced the girl and raised one eyebrow. She was much shorter than he was and definitely not intimidating in any way. Her deathly glare didn’t even faze the angel.

“What?” Sehun responded.

“You just insulted my little brothers and you’re not even going to apologize to them? You’re the disgusting one,” she said.

“So? Does it look like I care?” Sehun replied. He could see the girl growing more furious yet also slightly flustered. Obviously she hadn’t expected Sehun to answer in such a way.

She must believe that everyone has a little good in them. How naïve, Sehun thought.

“If you have nothing else to say, then I’ll leave,” he said. The girl was fuming at that point but she had the feeling that nothing she would say would make Sehun apologize. Instead, she turned around and ushered her brothers away. Of course, she didn’t forget to send one last glare at Sehun. He merely grinned and walked away.

Sehun continued to leave the park, reaching the streets. He hoped to find some shelter so he didn’t have to stay out in the cold. The human world was too bothersome with its weather, its sights, its scents, and sounds. He couldn’t stand it any longer.

However, he came here for a reason.

He wanted to make these humans suffer. Why should they live content lives while Sehun was condemned to his fate? They had the ability to make choices, to choose what they wanted to do but he could not. The wings on his back were a burden and a blessing.

His wings gave him power but they chained him to the ground. They could do so much for others but so little for him. And yet, he was expected to protect them with his life? To keep them safe for when they are most needed?

What was the point in that?

Sehun couldn’t see it. It was not a benefit for himself but for those around him. Those lowly humans that He loved so much.

It was all for them.

Caught up in his thoughts, Sehun did not see the car barreling down the road towards him. When he did, it was already too close for him to evade it. The vehicle crashed into him and Sehun was thrown over, tumbling to the other side of the car as it swerved to a stop. His bones cracked; the sound so loud that it made him sick. Sehun lay on the ground motionless.

Screams and shrieks echoed into the air as people rushed towards him. People crowded around Sehun in a matter of seconds, worry engraved in their faces.

“Someone call 119!”

“Oh my God, is he dead?”

“No, look! He’s breathing!”

Sehun heard the voices and grimaced. They were too loud. It made the pain in his body that much more unbearable. Struggling, Sehun reached out to grab a feather from his wing. It burst into a puff of flame and disappeared. Of course, his actions went unnoticed by the humans.

Immediately, Sehun felt much better. His bones seemed to repair themselves and his body was rejuvenated. With a grunt, he got to his feet. People gasped and screamed even louder when he got up.

“H-he’s alright!”

“How is that possible?”

“It’s a miracle!”

Miracle? There are no miracles in this world. It’s all because of us angels. Stupid humans.

Someone laid a hand on his shoulder and Sehun threw it off, his eyes flared with an inhuman glint. The man’s eyes widened and he stumbled backwards. Sneering, Sehun brushed his shoulder off and started running.

The humans shouted after him, telling him to come back and go to the hospital. He didn’t listen to them. He was perfectly fine and going to some place where humans could poke and prod at him to check if he was injured definitely did not sound appealing. Their grimy hands didn’t deserve to touch him.

While he was running, Sehun’s eyes caught a glimpse of something familiar. The seemingly perfect white feathers were a dead give-away to Sehun. It was an angel. Relief washed over Sehun to finally find another angel in this dreaded world. Maybe they were like him, cursing their lives as well as the blissful humans’ lives.

Sehun skidded to stop in front of the other angel and blinked when he saw a blinding flash of light. What had just happened? There was a dot in his vision now and every time he blinked he could see a bluish green silhouette of the flash. 

“Oh! I’m sorry. I didn’t expect anyone to run out like that. Did the flash surprise you?” a soothing voice asked. Sehun cleared his vision and took in the sight of the shorter male standing before him with his big eyes looking even bigger as he gaped at Sehun.

“You’re an angel too!” he exclaimed. His smile was so wide that it practically made his giant eyes disappear, turning them into little crescent moons instead. “Wow, I never would have thought I’d meet someone else on a mission like me.”

Sehun paused for a moment. Mission? What mission?

“My name is Kyungsoo. I’m surprised we haven’t met before in Heaven though. Well, I guess Heaven is a pretty big place so there’s a ton of people I haven’t met. Anyways, what’s your name?” asked Kyungsoo as he held his hand out. The smile never left his face.

“I’m Sehun,” Sehun replied. There was a certain caution and tension in him as he shook Kyungsoo’s hand.

“Wah, your hands are so cold! Let’s go to my apartment so you can warm up a bit,” Kyungsoo said. He grabbed Sehun’s wrist and began lightly dragging the boy towards his apartment. Sehun was astonished for a second. No one had ever acted like that towards him before. It was strange and he didn’t like the warmth radiating from Kyungsoo’s hand.

In a matter of minutes, the pair was sitting on the couch in Kyungsoo’s apartment. Sehun was holding a mug of hot chocolate in his hands, staring at it like it was infected in some way. Kyungsoo chuckled and gently took the mug from him.

“Have you never drunk anything before? You must’ve just come from Heaven not too long ago then,” Kyungsoo said. He lightly blew on the steaming hot liquid in an attempt to cool it. “For some reason, you feel like a brother to me. Here, take a sip.”

Sehun reluctantly took the mug back from Kyungsoo. He stared at the other angel, his scrutinizing look not fazing Kyungsoo one bit. Sehun couldn’t understand why Kyungsoo was being so friendly with him. They had met barely ten minutes ago.

This guy is either very innocent or extremely stupid.

His lips quirked a bit in a smirk at his own thoughts. But then, he turned his attention back to the beverage he was holding. Why should he drink anything that humans made? For all he knew, it could be poisonous to him in some way. However, judging from the way Kyungsoo calmly sipped from his mug it seemed safe.

Finally, Sehun gave in to his curiosity and he drank from the mug. Surprisingly, he found the taste pleasing. It tickled his taste buds, a feeling he had never experience before. The sweet, chocolaty taste was new to him.

The crack of the mug crashing onto the ground seemed magnified in the tiny room. The hot liquid practically scalded Sehun’s feet. Kyungsoo stood up instantly, rushing to grab towels and frantically asking if Sehun was alright. The angel didn’t answer him though. He was drowning in his thoughts, too caught up to answer Kyungsoo.

No. I can’t possibly like this human beverage. I can’t like anything related to humans. They’re worthless beings and everything they make and do is meaningless as well. This angel must have put something in this drink. He must be more cunning than he looks.

“Sehun! What’s wrong?” Kyungsoo’s voice broke Sehun from his thoughts. He lightly shook Sehun who blinked and gazed at Kyungsoo with empty eyes. Rage filled those eyes moments later.

“Who are you? What is wrong with your head?” Sehun growled. “How the hell can you enjoy these stupid, petty human confections? Everything related to humans are vile so how can you stand all this?”

Kyungsoo cringed at the way Sehun’s voice seemed to bounce off the walls and echoed in his mind. Taken aback by the angel’s sudden outburst, Kyungsoo forgot about the mess on the floor and gaped at Sehun.

“W-what do you mean?” was all Kyungsoo could manage. Even then, his tongue slipped on the words because he was too nervous. Well, not necessarily nervous but more shocked.

“Don’t tell me you’re one of those angels who love humans,” Sehun spat.

“What’s wrong with humans? They’re wonderful and beautiful in their own way,” Kyungsoo responded firmly. He couldn’t see what Sehun found so wrong about humans. It was a mystery.

Sehun shook his head, turning away from the other angel. That’s when he caught sight of the pictures decorating Kyungsoo’s wall. His eyes grew wider, his jaw hung open, and he stopped thinking for a moment.

Without saying a word, he got to his feet and mindlessly stepped up to the wall. Kyungsoo watched him, still unsure of what Sehun was thinking. The faces of different humans smiled back at Sehun, various human world objects and creatures dotted the wall, Kyungsoo’s neat handwriting underneath each picture told a story. One picture in particular drew Sehun towards it.

It was a picture of a girl and two boys. More specifically, the girl Sehun had run into earlier and her two demonic little brothers. Eyes running down the picture to the caption on the bottom, Sehun couldn’t believe what was written there. Not only did Kyungsoo have a soft spot for humans, he was also falling in love with one? It was too much for Sehun to comprehend.

“Her name is Jimin. I took that picture yesterday and then I got to see her again today. She’s one of the nicest people I have ever met,” said Kyungsoo. The dreamy quality to his voice didn’t escape Sehun. It appalled him. Why was this angel so infatuated with humans?

“Come with me.”

Sehun gripped Kyungsoo’s wrist after saying that curt statement and he dragged the bewildered angel out of the room. Making his way through the hallways, Sehun did his best to find the way to the roof. It took some time but he managed to find it after five minutes of hauling the short angel behind him.

Once they were on the roof, Sehun allowed his wings to spread out to their full 15 feet wing span. He closed his eyes and felt the winter breeze rustle his hair and bite his cheeks. It bothered him but he was only focused on what he was about to do next.

Then, he threw Kyungsoo off the roof.

The poor angel was taken by surprise and nearly became a Kyungsoo pancake on the floor but he managed to react in time and unfurled his wings, their 14 feet wing span was glorious and looked even more magnificent when he flapped them and soared into the air.

A smile finally cracked on Sehun’s face when he took off as well. As usual, flying was the best stress reliever. Even if he was flying in the human world, it didn’t matter as long as he could be free from the chains of the earth. It took only a second for Sehun to catch up to Kyungsoo, who had risen past the clouds.

When he met up with the other angel, Sehun raised a brow. Kyungsoo was performing all sorts of tricks in the air, like twirls, flips, somersaults, you name it. Sehun’s plan was going better than he thought it would.

“Doesn’t this feel amazing?” Sehun asked. Kyungsoo came to a stop in front of him. Their wings flapped at a constant rate in order to keep them propelled in that one spot.

“Yeah. Flying is one of the best things about being an angel,” replied Kyungsoo.

“Follow me,” Sehun said. He descended towards earth slowly and Kyungsoo followed suit. The two angels hovered in the air, high enough so humans couldn't differentiate them from birds but low enough so they could make out the landscape below. “Look down there. All those humans bustling about. They look like ants, don’t they?”

“Hmm, I don’t think so. I can make out all of their faces. Some of them are happy. Some are sad, angry, worried, scared. But, their expressions and emotions make them human. It makes them beautiful. So, no they don’t look like ants,” Kyungsoo responded.

“Don’t give me that bull . If humans are so great, why can’t they fly like us? They aren’t as strong as us. They can’t see or hear as well as us. There are so many flaws in humans and it’s pathetic to see them strive to be perfect when it’s impossible for them. Don’t you understand Kyungsoo? Humans are imperfect. God shouldn’t love them. He should love angels. Us,” Sehun stated. He wished that Kyungsoo would forget all his useless feelings for humans and see the truth. The truth was, angels should be living the better lives.

A soft chuckle escaped Kyungsoo’s lips and the corners of his eyes crinkled. He tilted his head at Sehun and smiled in such a way that Sehun couldn’t possibly be angry with him. But, Sehun was taken aback when Kyungsoo hugged him. He let go a second later though, since their wings couldn’t beat freely when they were that close.

“Sehun, I understand why you hate humans so much. But, you shouldn’t hate them because of that. You’re jealous of them, aren’t you?” Kyungsoo asked.

“Jealous? How could I be jealous of those lowly creatures?” Sehun scoffed. He couldn’t believe that Kyungsoo would say that. Oh Sehun? Jealous of humans? Yeah, right.

“Why else would you say things like that?”

“Because it’s true. Angels deserve to be treated better than humans. Angels should live the better lives; they should have freedom instead of humans.”

Kyungsoo remained silent. He merely gazed at Sehun with a look in his eyes that contained several different emotions. They swirled in his large eyes and Sehun tried to pick out the dominant emotion. Was Kyungsoo looking at Sehun with pity? Sympathy? Compassion? Or something else entirely?

The plethora of feelings that Kyungsoo felt overwhelmed Sehun. Kyungsoo could see it. The younger angel, or at least Kyungsoo assumed Sehun was younger, had never felt many other emotions other than rage, fury, hate, and even though Sehun didn’t want to admit it, jealousy. Kyungsoo was saddened by that fact. Growing up to hate your life and to blame others for it, it’s sad.

Staring into Sehun’s dark, empty eyes, Kyungsoo could read the story of a young boy who only wanted to be loved. He saw the broken heart of a child who didn’t know that his fate wasn’t set in stone. But, what Kyungsoo couldn’t see hurt him even more than what he could.

The dreams and passions that a young boy like Sehun, angel or human, should have in his eyes wasn’t there. The twinkle of hopes was buried beneath the cacophony of sorrow.

And as Kyungsoo gazed into Sehun’s eyes, he wanted to teach the boy that things weren’t set in stone. Miracles existed if you reached for them and worked towards them. Destiny could be defied if he only set his heart to it. The life of an angel may sound dull when you take the very outer shell of what they must do. However, if Sehun could only dig deeper and look at the reason as to why angels had to live the way they did, he’d understand just how special his life was.

Kyungsoo wanted to tell him this. To show him everything he was blind to. Reveal that humans and angels alike have their own hardships to overcome but also their own gifts that make life worth living. So, Kyungsoo decided that he would. He was going to open Sehun’s mind and give the boy the love and hope he deserved.

With a tiny smile, Kyungsoo held his hand out to Sehun.

“You tried to change my thoughts on humans, but now I’m going to show you my opinion and maybe you can open your mind to it. So this time, Sehun, you can follow me.”

---

Uhh, Sorry if I made Sehun seem like a complete b*stard here. I love Sehun but I had to have someone play this part in the story. And quite honestly, he seemed like the best choice. >_< Anyways, I hope you are enjoying the story so far. The next chapter is most likely gonna be the last one. :)