Define Kismet 01

Define Kismet

I'm pretty sure there's typo and grammar mistakes since I was in such a hurry to share this chapter with you all. Hope you enjoy. ^^

 

Four years later...

After finishing her sixth cup of coffee, she finally called it a night. It was already three in the morning and yet, she was still unsatisfied with herself. The project she’s been working for a month now still hasn’t been completed. Although she wanted to stay a little longer to work on her project, she knew her dad was going to come find her soon. Making her last change and saving the project, she finally shut the laptop to sleep.

“Knock knock,” Jonghyun said as he gave two knocks on the door.

“I’m ready, I’m ready,” Dabin said as she stood up from her seat, grabbing her jacket and bag off from the coat hanger.

“Don’t tell me you were planning on staying here the whole night if I didn’t come get you, right?” Jonghyun said as he held her on the shoulder as they walked down the hall to the elevator.

“I wasn’t planning on staying the whole entire night.” Dabin rolled her eyes as she pressed the button.

“Right.” Jonghyun noted with a smirk.

“Really, appa. You know umma never allow me to stay overnight even if I don’t live with her anymore. Plus, I don’t want to be lectured from her, you, and the rest of the appas. I learn my lesson.”

“It’s not that we won’t allow you to stay overnight… it’s just that we want you to go out and have fun. Seriously, do you not have any friends at all?” Jonghyun asked, forgetting that he was hitting a weak spot.

Dabin hesitated to answer him.

“I have friends, lots of them. I just don’t want to hang out with them. I have priorities that need to be accomplished first.” Dabin retorted.

Jonghyun didn’t further the conversation in case he blows up and start lecturing her about her past incidents. He along with the whole family knows not to bring up the incident that happened. It may have seemed like it was nothing to her but they weren’t dumb to not notice how different she’s been ever since it happened.

“Goodnight appa,” Dabin said as she kissed him on the cheeks before climbing into her car. Jonghyun watched her leave the parking lot before heading home. He always felt a need to watch every step that she’s doing in case she decides to do something that may harm her. Doctors and nurses may have said she’s healed and wouldn’t do anything stupid but being a father, he had a small worried on the back of his head.

*******

Throwing her jacket on the couch along with her bag, Dabin proceeded to her bathroom to wash up before going to sleep. Since she sacrificed some of her sleep time to work on her project, she would be getting only three hours of sleep. Dabin didn’t mind since it’s hard for her to fall asleep. Every time she closes her eyes, that day would return to her mind; images so clear that it frightens her.

The only time that she would sleep really well was when she overworked herself until she had no more energy left inside of her. It’s not a good habit or healthy for her but she had no other choice. She visited a doctor once and he prescribed her some medicines, which was flushed down the toilet. Dabin hated eating medicine, even if they were to help get her better. Sometimes looking at the medicine, she can taste the disgusting medicine taste she had to eat when she was younger.

She made sure to check her answer machine before going to sleep. Like always, her mom left a couple of messages asking her if she ate, and such. It was no new news to her so she deleted one after another, stopping on one particular message that caught her attention.

“Hey Dabin, it’s me, Myungsoo. I don’t know if you remember me but I got your house phone from your umma when I bumped into her earlier. I was just wondering if you wanted to meet up and catch up on things. Give me a call back, okay? I’ve missed you a lot.”

Dabin replayed the message, tears whelming in her eyes as she listened to his voice, the voice that she remembered so well. Tearing a piece of paper from her junk mail, Dabin quickly scribbled his number down.

Lying down on the bed, she was unable to fall asleep. She was distracted by the sound of his voice. She was debating whether or not she wanted to meet him. Will it bring back the old memories that she wanted to forget? Frustrated, Dabin tossed and turn the whole entire night.

*****

It’s only been four years since he last seen Seoul yet it felt like a decade. Disguised in his faded blue jeans and a white t-shirt with a cap, he walked out of the terminal dragging his luggage with him. A smirk appeared on his face as he looked at a group of people waiting for their loved ones return. Spotting a particular person holding a sign “Welcome home L.Joe”, he couldn’t help but felt excitement entering his body.

Making sure the person hasn’t spotted him, he made a run for it. Hailing a taxi wasn’t a hard thing to do, waiting for one was. Impatiently tapping his feet while he waited, he made sure to keep an eye on the guy. As much as he wanted to go home, he wanted to play a game first. What’s the fun in it if there’s no game, right?

Quickly, he jumped inside of the taxi, not forgetting to drag his luggage in as well, he asked the driver to take him home. He couldn’t wait to see the surprise on the man’s face at home.

*****

“Umma? Halmoni?” he called them as he closed the door quietly behind him, taking his shoes off before walking down the hall. He poked his head into the living room to find it empty. “Weird,” he mumbled.

Where were his mom and grandma? He was pretty sure to make sure they knew he was arriving today. Shrugging his shoulders, he walked up the stairs and into his bed room where he missed it for the past years. Dropping his luggage on the side of the door, he jumped onto his bed. It felt great to be home again; a place where he’s comfortable and longed for.

He stayed lying on the bed, staring at up at his white ceiling. Everything looked the same like he had left; nothing has changed. Not wanting to waste the day just lying on his comfortable bed, he got up to explore his room. There was inch of dust on his shelves; his grandma or mom must have cleaned it every day while he was gone. A smile appear on his lips just thinking about his family.

“Yah! How dare you run away from me!” He stood at the door, an angry look on his face.

“You were at the airport? I didn’t see you at all.”

“Cut the crap. I know you saw me. I saw you running away. You’re lucky that you’re my hyung or else I would have punished you when I see you.” He said as he took a seat on his bed.

“Sorry. I just had to do it. How have you been, little brother?” L.Joe said as he ruffled his younger brother’s hair.

“Stop that. I’m not young anymore.” He scoffed.

“You’re still young to me. I’m older than you.” L.Joe reminded him.

“Yah. I liked it when you were gone. The house was peace and quiet.” He muttered.

“Lies. I know you missed me so much when I was gone. I bet you were counting the days of my return, huh?” L.Joe smirked.

“Whatever. I wouldn’t do such thing.” He mumbled.

“Where are the elders?” L.Joe asked his brother.

“They went out to buy groceries for your return. See how much they spoil you? I bet if I was in your position, they would care less about my return.” He said in a sad voice.

“Are you blind or what? You’re the spoiled one. At least you get to stay home with them. I on the other hand was shipped overseas to study. That’s boring and lonely. I’m glad to be home.” L.Joe stretched his arms out.

*****

She didn’t look any better than last week. It was difficult to fall asleep when things kept coming to her mind. Her unfinished work stayed unfinished; concentrating was a little difficult for her when her mind kept drifting away. Tapping her pen on the notepad, she was debating whether or not to give him a call. She wonder if he changed or not; after all, it’s been years since they last seen each other.

Dabin grabbed her cellphone, dialing his number. She knew she was going to regret it but she needed to see him. It took two rings for him to pick up his phone.

“Hello?” he answered his phone.

No voice would escape . Dabin covered so that her cries would not escape. She didn’t want him to hear her crying. It was foolish of her to cry just hearing his voice but she couldn’t help it.

“Hello?” He repeated a few times. “Dabin, is that you? Why aren’t you answering me? Hello? Can you hear me?” Myungsoo said in a firm controlled voice.

“O-oppa…” Dabin finally manage to gather all her courage not to let her shaking voice be heard.

“Dabin ah. How are you?” He asked.

“I’m fine. How about you?”

“I’m doing great. Are you at work? Why did it take you so long to contact me? Were you out of town?” Myungsoo questioned her.

“Are you busy right now?” Dabin asked him instead of answering his question.

“No. Why?”

“Let’s meet up. At the same place. You remember where it is, right?” Dabin asked him, unsure if he remembered or not.

“Of course I remembered. How can I forget such a memorable place?” Myungsoo chuckled.

“Okay. See you there.” Dabin didn’t say good-bye to him or wait for him to finish his sentence, cutting him off. She took a deep breath, tossing her phone on the table as she lean back in her chair. She felt a little relieve that she contacted him, now she can be a little at ease.