Or maybe...

Sleepwalker

 

The snow fell hard, covering the whole city with a white blanket. The snow glittered under the streetlights like stars. One girl walks alone, a grey coat around her shoulders, black boots on her small feet. She smiled, tilting her head up to the sky with closed eyes.

                The freshly fallen snow crunched under her feet, the cold made her shiver. If only she was not alone, if only she did not act that way. If she had not said those words, he would not have been mad and she would be eating dinner with him. But she did; now she’s walking alone under the falling snow.

Maybe it was her fault, maybe it was his. Or maybe it was their fault. It was his fault for coming home late when he said he’d be there early and for not calling to say he’ll be late. It’s his fault for making her wait for hours. It’s her fault for asking too much, saying too much, making him mad. It’s her fault for trying to make him feel guilty about the cold dinner sitting at the dinner table.

 

 

It was way past midnight when she realized the need to go back. Her fingertips were cold, so were her toes. In truth, she was a bit scared to go back home, but it was way too late to just barge into her bestfriend’s apartment to stay the night. She left her cellphone at the apartment as she rushed out, too.

The girl sighed, her breath visible due to cold. She turned and started walking towards home. As she neared the building, she saw a man standing outside, rubbing his hands together to create some heat.

“Have you been waiting long?” she asked him.

He chuckled quietly, “I wanted to follow you but figured you need some space.  I’ve been waiting since you walked out.”

“You didn’t have to, you know?”

 

“But I wanted to and I’m really sorry,” he took her hand, warming it.

“I am, too,” she smiled at him.

He smiled back and pulled her towards the building entrance, “Come on, I’ll make you some oolong tea.”