Winter

A Glimpse Into Tomorrow

 

It was slowly getting dark now.

She stops in her tracks of the alleyway of the mansion and spins on her heels lightly, gazing at the beautiful scenery outside the window. A tiny smile graces her lips. The pure white snowflakes were falling softly down from the dark blue sky, on the trees, the roofs and down the pavements, almost covering the city of Seoul in a white blanket. She pulls her cold hands out, reaching for the snow. Almost in an instant right after it lands on her palms, it melts. She unconsciously frowns. That same feeling of nothing.

If she runs to the station now, she could still catch the train. If she doesn't, she-

The moment she turns the door knob, she makes up her mind. The sound of her heels clicking echoes loudly against the extravagant marble tiles, accompanying her as if to give her all the courage needed to charge forward. Don't stop, the voice within herself says. Go on, it reminds her. That's right, it whispers to her. You'll make it, it encourages her. There is no more looking back for her now.

Her heart beats against her frail ribcage, palpitating so loudly that she thinks she might be having an attack anytime soon. She takes a few deep breath to calm herself down. Just a little bit more, she clutches her chest tightly while taking a few steps forward.

The last train of the night is arriving in five minutes. She is only a few steps away from the platform. She has to board the train now. 

She scrunches her porcelain-like face, pale as paper white, in unbearable pain. She tells herself she is not going back home, she's not going to give up now. 

Her legs doesn't listen; they refuse to move. As her body trembles in the cold, heartless winter, she-

 

She wonders if back then she had not ran out from home, if she had not insisted on taking the last train, if she had not take a few steps backwards, would they still have met? But she has not regretted meeting her, not even once. 

 

-she bumped into a beautiful stranger. Her dark brown, wavy hair fell behind her back like a waterfall, with a few strands of loose hair tucked neatly behind her ears. The woman, who seems to be in her early twenties, frowned, irked by the sudden pain.

"Look where you're going," she snaps, in an obvious tone of annoyance.

She whispers a quiet apology before looking down to play with her cold hands which were already numb.

The chic girl pulls her red coat closer to herself and literally drags her huge luggage box  along as she rolled her eyes at the clumsy girl. Just as she is about to walk away, she finds a pair of slender hands weakly yet firmly grabbing onto her arms.

She turns around only to be met with a pair of mysteriously dark orbs found staring back at her.

"W-we can go t-together," She speaks up timidly; her trembling voice wavers.

 

/The train will depart in three minutes' time./

 

"What?" She looks at her in bewilderment while furrowing her brows. She's losing her patience as the announcement rings in the station.

"I ran away from home," she mutters quietly, "Just like you."

She widens her eyes as she scans the girl in front of her from head to toes. She is wearing only an oversized knitted top in daffodil and a pair of dark jeans. She does not have a thick coat like her, nor does she have a luggage bag.

"I didn't bring anything else along," she tells her frankly.

The chilly wind blows as the two stood in complete silence. 

 

/The train will depart in a minute's time./

 

"Whatever, let's go now! It's the last train of the night," The chic girl grabs her luggage, and the other free hand pulling onto her hand firmly now.

"We aren't going to make it," She sighs in pessimism.

"Who says?" She challenges as the duo sprints for their life. 

The door of the train was shutting now.

Four seconds, three seconds, two seconds and-

She throws her luggage in, swiftly blocking the door from closing. She grins at the panting girl beside her in pride with a victorious sign as they walk slowly towards the door, slowly now.

"We made it, didn't we?" She beams at her.

Just then, a few of the passangers shakes their head in disapproval as they glare at the two for causing the disruption.

"Please refrain from carrying out such a dangerous act," the cabin officer warns sternly.

The two lowers their head in shame, but as soon as they reach the next cabin, they burst into peels of giggles in a moment of seconds. 

Pretty, cool, amazing, the shy girl muses.   

The girl with luggage tugs the loose tendrils behind her ears before she realizes that the other girl has been staring at her for a while now. She pulls out her hands out casually.

 

"My name is Krystal," the girl with the luggage says, "Krystal Jung Soo Jung."

"Im Yoona," she takes her hand firmly this time. 

 

The season of winter may be deadly cold, but back then, both of them could feel the warmth as they held their hands, smell the pleasant scent of spring flowers in the air. They believed that the season of hope - spring will come, no matter how cold or harsh winter was. But they never expected how heartless winter  exactly was.

 

"There are empty seats over there," Yoona points, much to Krystal's delight. She has expected the last train to be packed with crowds and she figures that Yoona may just turn out to be her lucky goddess. She smiles at the last two words. 

"Can we take the seats here?" Krystal shifts her gaze towards the man by the window seat. He doesn't look up nor answer them.

"He's probably asleep," Yoona tells her softly.

As the two girls took their seats lightly, Yoona finds a piece of crumpled paper on the ground.

"What's that?" Krystal asks curiously.

She opens the crumpled ball up a finds a picture of a lovely couple smiling brightly. 

"A photograph," she whispers.

"His photograph?" Krystal points.

They hesitantly look at each other for a moment before the man raises his head to look at the two girls and the object in their hands.

"Mine," he grits his teeth before snatching the photograph back and dumps it right into his bagpack. He was clearly pissed off and he shoots them a death glare before returning his gaze to the dark, grey sky outside, once again. 

 

Unlike in a fairytale, he didn't meet the winter princess he wishes for, and never will.