The Hazards of Love

The Hazards of Love

He had thoughtlessly ran into the forest. Never did he dream that they would be so ruthless. They had been welcomed with open arms, and now they would kill every last one of them like animals.

Tales had always been spun of this forest, that a spirit ruled it and charmed all those who entered without permission, but he never paid them any thought. They were fairy tales told to keep children entertained during festivals. Who would believe such garbage? And even at that moment, though the memories of those stories did tickle his mind, he was far more focused in running away.

He was far more focused on living.

When he seemed no longer to hear their footfalls or calls or the sounds of gunfire, he paused for a short rest. These woods were vast. North of the river, the trees became endless and one could lose themselves within the foliage. That was exactly what he wanted.

Slowly, he took in a deep breath, careful to make little sound. The tops of the trees shivered. He thought, maybe they had sent planes after him, but that seemed too much for only one man. He wasn’t worth so much to them. He would be made feed for their dogs more than be worth sending planes after. They probably expected him to be eaten by wolves.

He actually preferred the idea of wolves eating him more than the idea of being caught by those wretched excuses for men.

A slight breeze rustled the trees again, only to be followed by a harsh gush. He gasped and braced against the tree he rested against. It touched him lightly, but it was enough to jar his eyes open again. A hand brushed itself against his face, lifting it upward.

The noble visage of a man yet adorned in antlers like tree branches and clothed as someone from ancient times, he realized that the stories he had brushed off were very true and very real. He gasped at the beautiful creature before him. It smiled.

“You entered my forest,” it said darkly, “and that makes you mine.”

No human would ever find him again.