Prologue

Fighting Chance

Prologue

The year the planet Earth went to was 2024. North Korea had been a place of nuclear weapon concern for the world since 2006, but 18 years later, the violence threats had escalated greatly. North Korea was in the spotlight and all major countries created and signed a treaty to protect the rest of the world against the country in any means necessary. This led to all nuclear weapons being aimed and ready to destroy the threat if needed.

Now while North Korea was the immediate threat, they were not the direct cause of the destruction. In amidst the fear, Australia’s nuclear base was in the process of transferring nuclear weapons from an American nuclear base in New Mexico. The international committee decided Australia needed the extra military weapon support because they were one of the closer countries that would be able to react and retaliate quickly if there was a nuclear threat from North Korea.

In transfer of nuclear weaponry on the nuclear base in Australia, there was an incident. It happened so suddenly, without warning. To this day, not a single living soul has information on what actually took place –but everyone knows about the disaster it caused. Somehow, a nuclear weapon detonated on base which caused a domino effect.

The impact of Australia’s nuclear weaponry was catastrophic. The continent had been virtually destroyed –all life wiped out. Later the continent it would be renamed “The Continent of Death,” or commonly called “The Black Place.”

The aftershock caused natural disasters in countries all over the world… Countries like Indonesia, New Zealand, Thailand, the Philippines, and the Pacific Islands were completely wiped out by the blasts. Earthquakes shook the Earth’s core, causing tsunamis to hit the coasts of the surrounding countries. The coasts of India, Madagascar, Japan, China, the coast of south eastern Africa, and the American state of Hawaii were engulfed by flooding water and massive waves. The coasts of North and South America were flooded by tsunamis as well but their coasts were not as devastated as the countries surrounding Australia.

There’s no way to measure how much radiation would affect the countries or how far the radiation would spread. The nuclear weaponry in the United States deserts were not set off by the blasts but the networking was disabled and left unusable, most likely due to the massive amounts of radiation.

Europe, Northwestern Asia and Africa, and the Americas experienced earthquakes, but they were virtually unaffected by the devastation in Australia. As Europe soon discovered, the atmospheric pressure dropped too low for planes to evacuate survivors in devastated countries close to the blast. Planes would spontaneously combust due to low pressure in the fuel lines, engulfing the plane in flames thus causing more devastation. The entire world experienced a rise in temperature and little to no rain due to the atmosphere’s ruin.

Countries currently are overwhelmed by drought and food shortage. Groups in Europe have been trying to work together with the other countries that were unaffected to help and donate to the cause to put the southeastern part of the world back together, but amidst the destruction, renegades and vigilantes have been popping up everywhere to take control. Unaffected countries are hesitant to reach out and help.

Present day, it has been a little over three months since the disaster. Many lives have been lost and there is a widespread of panic due to the affects of the disaster and radical groups.

Our story takes place in South Korea. The country is somewhat smaller due to sinking shorelines and radiation is an immediate threat to the civilians there. The land is barren –dust and grime covered every structure and every hill. Everything is now dry and gray –not a single leaf of plant-life had a healthy green color. The thick stench of war in the air suffocates the living. Peace does not exist. People run for their lives and fight everyday to survive. The leader of the land has been assassinated and everything is in ruin.

 

The falling apart of the nations has begun.