Chapter 2: Summer meetings - The Marriage Proposal

Swan Lake

 

“Yuri-yah!” Taeyeon cheered waving her arm up frantically. Collectedly Queen Shin smiled up from her tea. As expected her old friend had arrived 5 minutes late from their scheduled rendezvous, just like she used too when they were still young.

She couldn’t contain her grin when she spotted a young boy trotting grudgingly behind Taeyeon. 

“Taeyeon unnie, how have you been?” She stood poised, slightly bowing to acknowledge her older sister like figure. Taeyeon still stood around an inch shorter than her, lively and caring as ever.

“Fine, just a little bit of reluctance from Kris but overall he’s a good child.” Taeyeon whispered into Yuri’s ear.

The day was spotless without a sign of clouds in sight. The castle towered on the sloped ground where a maze like labyrinth riddled around towards the lake beneath, centered by a marble swan.

Yuri couldn’t seem to shake the nostalgic feeling of seeing her friend dressed primly in a billowing golden dress. Gold had been the spokesman of her presence. It reminded her of the days when they lived near one another, along with their other 7 teenage friends.

Yuri had been ripped from her melancholic thoughts when she felt a light tug of her hem.

“Oh, that’s right. I almost forgot. Taeyeon, this is my daughter Gayoon. Gayoon-ah, say hello to your aunty.” Taeyeon squealed slightly, scuffling on the spot before diving for the petite girl’s cheeks.

“Omo! You are simply too cute! Aigoo, I want to kidnap you!” She piped joyfully, with Kris scoffing in the backdrop. Unlike his mother, he was the more reserved sort of person. Sometimes he wondered if it were either him or his mother who were the child.

“Gayoon-ah! Meet my son Kris,” Taeyeon forcefully gripped his wrist ing him towards the young girl. Meanwhile not letting her eyes leave the doll like girl before her.

She admired the cute sash with floral patterns which adorned the dainty dress that fit the girl like a porcelain doll. She wasn’t exactly the flawless skinned sort of mannequin you’d expect; instead round and speckle faced. One full of mischief, and more over her miniature size moulding her into the quaint being she was. She was the more realistic depiction of whatever it was she wanted in a baby girl. Not a sitting duck for a portrait, but a troublemaker.

“Go on,” Taeyeon grinned nudging her son.

His hair had been parted on the side and his red collared shirt had been buttoned from top to bottom. If there was one thing that Kris hated, it was being constricted by the neck, and his clothes at the current state were doing just that. Slowly he bowed, rolling his eyes inwardly. 

“Nice to meet you, Princess Gayoon. A pleasure to meet you.” He stifled, erected on the spot. 

“The p-plea-sure is all mine.” Gayoon stumbled, blushing madly with Taeyeon squealing in the background. Kris shot back up, attempting a retreat only to be stared down by his mother.

“Aaaannddd,” she exhorted shoving him back into the spotlight. Kris was not amused. Was his mother serious about pulling this through? As practiced, he gestured his hand. The Queens watched in suspense as their children entwined their hands. As the boy lightly brushed his lips against the back of Gayoon’s palm, Taeyeon couldn’t contain herself. Kris retreated once again back to his original position, shadowing his mother. 

“Did I really have to mum? She wasn’t even that pretty.” He mumbled, only to be shushed by Taeyeon, wagging her finger disapprovingly.

Enraged, the little girl brittled a reply, “I heard you, you know?”

 


 

“Aren’t they  adorable!?” cooed Queen Yuri, as she and Queen Taeyeon were far off by the pond beneath the willow where their children were, throwing pebbles from the collate gravel path. They did feel sort of sympathetic for the groundskeeper in the corner of the image trying to keep the road uniform.

 Gayoon straightened her posture remembering her father’s advice on trajectory. With a little run across the lush green lawn she catapulted the rock in an arch into the clear blue water.

She looked over to Kris who was staring at her complacently. That wasn’t the way she imagined his awe face to look like.

“See that!” Gayoon pointed her index finger to the distance of her pebble. Maybe he hadn’t seen it. 

“Yeah, I did. What of it?” he stared at her critically before sighing. 

“Well, I’d like to see you do better Mr. O’ I’m so perfect.” She huffed positioning her hands on her hips. She still couldn’t get over the fact he’d just dissed her on their first meeting. Even though Taeyeon was really nice, how could she be related to such a pompous jerk? 

‘No, no,’ she shook her head realising her hypocritical thoughts, ‘no, comment Gayoon. No comment.’

Heaving himself up from the willow’s trunk he picked up a smooth pebble. He examined the corners of it before skidding it across the pond’s surface, sending a long alignment of shimmering ripples. “I’ve won,” he stated in a monotone voice, containing the victorious grin tempting to curve on his lips.

Gayoon puffed her cheeks in frustration. 

“You’re cheating! I said throw, not skid! It’s not fair!” she accused, her rage rising because she had lost, balling her plump hands into fists. Kris shrugged with a disinterested face. Was it really his problem if she hadn’t thought of doing so herself?

She glared at him, mumbling to herself from her crouched position by the waterside.Who was he to be treating her so lowly? She was as much a princess as he was a prince. She deserved a bit of respect.

Plopping several stones into the water a devious thought occurred to her. The crooks of her lips curved into a mischievous grin. She quickly took a glimpse of their parents, knowing that they were so immersed on catching up to even pay attention to them. She cupped her hands, quickly using it to splash water on her dress. 

“Kris! You’re so mean! You got water on my dress! What did I ever do to you!” She wailed, the fake tears technique she’d perfected over the years came so naturally, trickling down her pudgy cheeks. 

“You hear something?” Yuri sharply interrupted Taeyeon from her anecdote. Yuri stood, surveilling their children only to see Gayoon screaming and Kris’s head twirling in confusion.

“Huh?” Taeyeon stood, barely catching the white table as it teetered to the side when she shot up.

“Wh-What?!” The flustered cry of Kris echoed over the low-cut hedge mazes, escalating up to the garden luncheon area where the elder women were. The infuriated Kris and red Gayoon were in the middle of a bickering. 

“I did not do that” he testified, pointing at the water stain across her abdominal region. 

“Yes, you did” 

“No”

 “Yes, you did” 

“No” 

“Psh,” Gayoon steadied herself, placing her hands in front of her, shoving Kris. The sudden push, made Kris stumble back, his face instilled with shock and confusion as what had transcended. What was this girl? An ogre? How could such a small girl explode with such power? He was practically double her size.

Gripping her hem, Gayoon made a run for it. She knew if she were going to outrun a giant she’d have to work double time on the pace; pushing her legs further and faster so that Kris wouldn’t be able to catch up to her. Winding the maze hedges, she made sure that her dress wouldn’t be caught by unkept branches. ‘He’d never catch her at this rate.’ She giggled to herself. But he did.

Just as he reached out for her hand, she was no longer in view. She had planked face first into the dirt. Running as fast as she could, she had not seen the jagged rock imbedded in the ground poking out. Kris halted to an abrupt stop, nearly toppling over the  injured girl since he wasn’t so far behind himself. He saw blood clotting from her exposed knee. 

He immediately felt a pang of guilt. He never really thought of the action at present moments, but there’d always be the regret that accompanied it.

Digging his hands through his pocket, he found a navy gold dragon embroidered handkerchief. He bent down and started to reach out for the knee.

“What do you think you are doing?” Gayoon whispered through her now authentic tears. This boy who had been so insufferably placid, why would he help her now? Kris ignored Gayoon’s feeble swatting and continued to wipe the red liquid away. He’d learnt the basics of cleaning, from watching his father and his mother, but he never thought the day it’d come in handy.

“Hold it on,” he commanded softly. He inwardly cringed at his voice, he really did sound like putty.

Gayoon hesitantly replaced her hand on the cloth as Kris’s hand retreated. She watched through her tears as he stood and bent over. The only thoughts replaying through her mind were about his ridiculous height. He was tall enough before, but now he was just the size of the sky.

“Don’t just stare, it’s embarrassing. Get on.” He blushed lightly.

The women watched, frozen from their gait down the stairs. Kris came staggering towards them with an injured Gayoon saddled on his back.

“Omo, my son’s so strong,” Taeyeon mused delightfully as he made his way up the spread steps.

“Honey, are you alright?” Yuri ushered, her motherly instincts coming into action.

Gayoon starred in a questioning manner at Kris. What was she supposed to say? He was being so cruel to her, but then again he helped her back.

“I-I was playing by the pond when a bee began to chase me, so I ran and tripped.” The women watched bemused as the child before them strung her web of lies.

“Then how did your dress get wet honey?” Yuri held her arm, crouching over to reach her daughter’s height. 

“I must have gotten carried away with playing by the pond.” In the corner of her eyes she would see Kris sighing in relief.

“Wow, it’s seriously getting dark fast isn’t it? Must’ve been because we talked so much.” Taeyeon sheepishly laughed. Spotting her son she patted his back proudly, sneaking a box with the same colour fleece as the handkerchief into the young boy’s hand.

“Go on,” she urged quietly. Kris sighed, this again? He wondered why his mother was so content with him building a bond with this particular girl.Coughing slightly to attract Gayoon’s attention he held out the thin box.

“My present for you Princess,” he mumbled reluctantly.

Gayoon’s eyes boggled slightly at the golden necklace presented before her.

The swan crested locket hung elegantly on the thin chain, almost like angels had directly descended to pass on the trinket. It looked so beautiful through Gayoon’s eyes. It would be the sort of look Queen Taeyeon and her mother could pull off, not someone squeaky and freckled like her would suit.

“Authentic gold it is, custom made by the best locksmith in the kingdom too,” Taeyeon introduced its background aimed at her friend.

“But of course our Kris chose the Swan as the insignia.” She added smiling.

“If I’d knwon what she’d look like then I would’ve chosen a duck.” He muttered. Gayoon almost exploded, but under the circumstances she chose to push the comment aside.

“Thank you Prince Kris, thank you Aunty Taeyeon.” Gayoon ritually curtseyed and accepted the token, unsure of what to do afterwards. Yuri seeing her daughter’s distress unlatched the back and twined the ends to one another.

“Yeppeo! You look very pretty,” she beamed.


 

“Your sleeping quarters are only around the corner,” Yuri explained gripping Gayoon’s hand tightly. With a subtle gesture the maids rushed to their places but Taeyeon dismissed them kindly.

“Sorry, but I have some business to discuss with King and Queen Shin.” She regally spoke, out of her usual tone.

“Kris, honey. You can go ahead with these kind women. Mother will be right there.” She hugged him momentarily before letting him stride off into the distance down the corridor.

“Shall we? I would also like to speak with Minho about this matter,” she turned over to Yuri.

“Let me just tuck Gayoon in.” Yuri smiled wearily. The day had certainly been a handful, even if it was just slabs after slabs of recounting.

“Gayoon-ah,” Yuri whispered as she peered into the room. 

“Mummy?” She echoed back in the same fragile verve.

Knowingly, Yuri walked over to the night light and flicked it on. Her child had always had a compulsive need for the night light beside her bed. It would have been fine, but she insisted on upholding that strong image, defying the needs to ask any of the maids as they retreated out the door.

“Thank you,” she yawned beneath her blue paisley bed sheets, her hair neatly spread out to the side. 

‘Gayoon really was adorable when tired.’ Yuri smiled to herself.

“Goodnight dear,” Yuri kissed her forehead lightly before leaving the room.

They arrived in front of a large door that had elegant golden marigolds carved on. It had golden winged handles in the shape of courting swans straddled the mid section.  The presence of the door showed superiority as every little detail was sketched on perfectly with a defect to behold.

Inside a dashing man sat deeply immersed by his paperwork, on his table piled high with books, contracts and scaffolds. 

As he was turning the page, he caught a glimpse of his wife and old acquaintance. “Everyone may retreat for the night,” he spoke thoughtfully dismissing the draining servants. Within the few moments, the room was left barren, except the two women were present.

“Taeyeon, it feels like it’s been centuries since we’ve last met.” Minho grinned tiredly.

“Oh yes it has King Minho of Hallyu,” Taeyeon teased slapping him across the back. It really did feel like old times.

“So what’s the issue you wanted to talk about?” Yuri positioned herself beside Minho who greeted her with a chaste kiss on the cheek. Taeyeon cringed slightly. 

“Well, I was wondering.....our children would look so good together.” Minho looked at the elder woman raising his brow.

“And?” 

“Maybe we should make a marriage proposal.” The wedded exchanged contemplative looks as Taeyeon stood fiddling away at her sash. Even though she over-rided them in most situations because of her age, their daughter was after all under their care.

“Well, it would be beneficial to both kingdoms” Yuri confided uncertainly.

Taeyeon’s heart clenched in suspense. Gayoon as her daughter in-law would be enthralling. Maybe she was thinking too far, maybe things wouldn’t work out. All these thoughts began to run through her mind. Cute, grand children that would hopefully be her size, miniature, the best way to be. How on earth did she have such a tall son in the first place? He probably took more of his father’s genes.

“Why not?” The sound of Minho’s voice broke Taeyeon from her train of thought.

“Really?” Taeyeon perked up.

The couple reassured one another and nodded with a smile.

 



So on that fateful night it was agreed that Princess Gayoon and Prince Kris would meet upon every summer, in hopes they would someday fall in love and join their kingdoms.

 


Author's Notes (Littletoomuch):

Thank you again to anyone who subscribed ^^ It's been a great deal of support. Especially to the commetors! They make my day :) Things will start to get more interest supposedly, you'll just have to stick around and find out ><

@ Vivichenny - Glad that you think it's ok :) Thank you for the comment! Hope you'll like this chapter too!!

@ hongstarandme - Miss you!! You must be busy around this time ahah, see you after three weeks or so :P